PDA

View Full Version : Tone Tubbys

billyguitar
07-10-2005, 02:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Tone Tubby 12s, ceramic or alnico. At 96.4 db they would seem to be not too efficient. Anyone know about that aspect? How about the Eminence Cannabis Rex? I'm interested in speakers that are efficient and play clean without cone cry. My amp, Dr Z Maz 38sr has a Celestion G12H 30 watt. This speaker is very nice but I'm a tweaker (aren't we all?).

tom
07-11-2005, 12:26 PM
recently switched to cannnibus rex from v30's. like the top end smokiness, not as harsh as the v30. efficiency wise they seem about the same. haven't tried the tone tubby. i was going to then this speaker came a long. steve carr recommened it with his new amp so i went for it. i wouldn't mind less efficiency, as long as it wasn't a sign of the speaker being too stiff sounding. i always would like to turn my amp up higher without more loudness.

billyguitar
07-11-2005, 08:38 PM
The Cannabis Rex has a ceramic magnet as opposed to the alnico in the Tone Tubby. People say they hear a difference in magnets and prefer alnico. I've had both kinds, as we all have, and I can't honestly say if there's a difference or not. There seems to be good examples of both kinds. Having said that it seems silly to pay $230 for a Tone Tubby instead of $60 or $70 for the Eminence.
We can all hear how good a Celestion Blue sounds. A Weber is reported to sound almost as good for 1/2 the money. Probably in a band context you'd never tell them apart. Now if ultimate sound is the goal you have to take that larger leap, if you can afford to. I'll probably try the Tone Tubby next month.
Actually I just read something on Harmony Central that says the Celestion I have in my Dr z Maz 38 has a long breakin so I should wait but the problem is I'm curious.
What has been your feeling about the C Rex? Have you heard your amp into any other speaker? Is that the Carr Hammerhead? I tried one of those for a few minutes and I didn't get it. But I'm always in the minority it seems anyway. If you like it it must be good. I can tell by your guitars that you have good 'ears'.
I tell people all the time that your guitars aren't expensive, because if you know what you want when you order it, you'll be satisfied and won't have that itch anymore. The only itch then is for another T/A with a different configuration. I don't know if anybody believes or just thinks I'm blowing smoke but that's what I tell them.

tom
07-12-2005, 09:53 AM
my amp is the hamerhead II, but i did get to compare side by side with the hamerhead I. the new one was livelier and had more life in the low end. before now i would not have been looking for the hammerhead because i tend to be a smoother richer guy more than an aggressive guy. a dealer sent this to me to try cause he loved it. i pretty much loved it right away. i will also say that my gear sounds perfect for me with the band, but it's pretty edgy and aggressive all by itself. i set the amp up differently when it's just me. i play in a pretty low volume situation, and it just works better than the other stuff i tried. it feels like it's pushed but not flabby at the lower volume. i only tried it with the c rex and the v30. the v30 was in a bogner cube.

dannopelli
07-12-2005, 10:52 PM
The Cannabis Rex has a ceramic magnet as opposed to the alnico in the Tone Tubby. People say they hear a difference in magnets and prefer alnico. I've had both kinds, as we all have, and I can't honestly say if there's a difference or not. There seems to be good examples of both kinds. Having said that it seems silly to pay $230 for a Tone Tubby instead of $60 or $70 for the Eminence.
We can all hear how good a Celestion Blue sounds. A Weber is reported to sound almost as good for 1/2 the money. Probably in a band context you'd never tell them apart. Now if ultimate sound is the goal you have to take that larger leap, if you can afford to. I'll probably try the Tone Tubby next month.
Actually I just read something on Harmony Central that says the Celestion I have in my Dr z Maz 38 has a long breakin so I should wait but the problem is I'm curious.
What has been your feeling about the C Rex? Have you heard your amp into any other speaker? Is that the Carr Hammerhead? I tried one of those for a few minutes and I didn't get it. But I'm always in the minority it seems anyway. If you like it it must be good. I can tell by your guitars that you have good 'ears'.
I tell people all the time that your guitars aren't expensive, because if you know what you want when you order it, you'll be satisfied and won't have that itch anymore. The only itch then is for another T/A with a different configuration. I don't know if anybody believes or just thinks I'm blowing smoke but that's what I tell them.

I swithced from the G12 H in my Maz 38 to a V30 and am very pleased. Farm more bluesey.