PDA

View Full Version : Questions about old Anderson Pickups

Duotones
07-09-2005, 09:30 AM
I have a relatively old Tom Anderson Drop Top (05-28-94A, honeyburst) and pole pieces of my P/Us (SL1, SL1R, and H3) have been getting rusty.

Some terrible noises bother me when my hand comes close to these pole pieces (especially bridge P/U), but no noise occurs without touching them.

I heard that pole pieces of anderson pickups (especially made before 1996) were easily apt to rust and I wonder if these rusty PUs usually raise problems like getting noisy or some changes in sound.

And From when are these pole-pieces coated with chrome? 1996? or later.

The second question is as follows;

Usually PUs with RPRW are usually causes out-of phase sound and when stacked HB (like SD-1) are typical HB (like H2) are selected as a parallel half tone (like both 2nd and 3rd toggles were flipping down-turns in swicheroo), usually shows noisy, disgusting out-of phase sound (loss of mid and bottom ends), but in anderson guitars, although SD-1 and H2 are of reverse-polarity with each other, the parallel sound of both PU seems to sound like in-phase. I wounder whether these phenomenon is due to some special characteristics of anderson PUs or some magics of swicheroo system.

Please apologize me of my command of English. I live in Korea and I am not good at English.

J. Seo

tom
07-11-2005, 12:36 PM
all our pickups except the alnico VA's, have always had nickel plated pole pieces. a light oil can clean up the rust and prevent it.
our pickups are all phased the same. if i remember correctly duncan humbuckers and single coils are done backwards from each other. it probably goes back to the early fenders being out of phase with gibson pickups. back then they never ended up in the same guitar, so it didn't matter. by the time we were making pickups, i figured they should all be able to work together.
for splitting purposes, our humbuckers will humcancel with our normal single coils. the reverse wound singles are made to hum cancel with the normal singles, so a set of VA1R, VA1, and H2 would humcancel in the 2 and 4 positions when the humbucker is split.

Duotones
07-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Thank you for kind reply...