PDA

View Full Version : Mosferatu or Tube Zone

Rhys
07-07-2005, 12:53 PM
i know these have been discussed here, but i need to know: which one would you keep if you could only have one. (i'm also considering a keeley rat, but haven't seen anybody here using one.) i'm in a relatively low volume setting, with my andy running through a black face. i don't need over-the-top metal, but something that can get pretty close. would the mos give me enough gain? is the tube zone versatile enough?

tom
07-07-2005, 03:22 PM
i have both, and it's a tough call. the mos to me does what you are asking pretty easily. i use the tz for a smoother thing, but it can certainly go to the aggressive side too.

Suriel Zayas
07-10-2005, 09:50 AM
i agree with tom. have them both and canīt get rid of either. i have noticed the tz is just a little noisier at higher vols.

chadmj
07-12-2005, 09:31 AM
"i have noticed the tz is just a little noisier at higher vols."

-Do you think this is a result of 'the character' of the distortion? I also have a tz and use it in the boosted midrange position and don't really notice that much noise. But, that could be because my amp is at a lower volume at church.

tom
07-12-2005, 09:41 AM
i also use the boosted middle setting, and haven't noticed the noise. i have other pedals that are noisier for sure.

brian b
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
For those that have the Mosferatu how does it compare to the Zendrive. Looking for a early 70 crunch type of over drive. Have had a Hotcake and FDII before just looking for something different.

ahermida
07-29-2005, 03:55 PM
The Mosferatu has more gain and sustain at the expense of a small amount of dynamics...the Zendrive is more dynamic and transparent with less gain and sustain. Both were designed to work at any volume.

Alf

brian b
07-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Do you have any dealers in the DFW area. To try one sounds like the Mosferatu is what I'am looking for. But as always if you can hear it firast it helps. By the way thanks for a quick response.

ahermida
07-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Don't have any dealers in DFW area sorry. Email me privately at ahermida@hermidaaudio.com for more details.

Alf

vfrancpa
08-22-2005, 10:27 PM
How does the Mosferatu compare to the FDII? I normally play the Fulltone out of a Fender Twin amp and if I need to go a little heavier, I'll just use the amp's dirty channel on a high gain (causes feedback problems). Seems like the Mos might be more versatile? Out of a Roland JC120, I can't get even close to getting the FDII heavy enough.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

tom
08-23-2005, 11:56 AM
the mos goes farther than the fulldrive, and it is a nastier(in a good way) gain.

Casper
08-24-2005, 01:50 PM
How would you compare the Mosferatu with the Barber Burn Unit?
Shaun

tom
08-24-2005, 03:32 PM
the mos is nastier(again in a good way). the burn unit to me just adds gain, doesn't change the character greatly, which i love. the mos for me is for when i want a character change, more aggressive. it goes farther too.

tunacaster
08-25-2005, 03:02 PM
How does the Mosferatu compare to the FDII? I normally play the Fulltone out of a Fender Twin amp and if I need to go a little heavier, I'll just use the amp's dirty channel on a high gain (causes feedback problems). Seems like the Mos might be more versatile? Out of a Roland JC120, I can't get even close to getting the FDII heavy enough.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Might want to check this out...

http://www.fulltone.com/cshframe.html

vfrancpa
08-26-2005, 03:43 PM
the mos is nastier(again in a good way). the burn unit to me just adds gain, doesn't change the character greatly, which i love. the mos for me is for when i want a character change, more aggressive. it goes farther too.

Cool...nasty is good. I really like the M2 option. I'll have to check with Alf to see if he has any dealers in either Las Vegas or Dana Point.

Thanks tunacaster.....wonder what it will sound like.