PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Z Maz 38 sr

billyguitar
07-04-2005, 11:41 AM
I have two Tom A Drop Top Ts. One is hollow and one is solid. They both have a humbucker at the neck and a single coil at the bridge. The solid has their own design single coil and the hollow has a Tele type. The Tom design sounds better, twangier. My new favorite amp is a new Dr. Z Maz 38 sr with one 12" Celestion and reverb. This amp only has one channel but cascaded tube lead channels don't impress me anyway. A good overdrive pedal like a Reverend Drivetrain can sound just as good or sometimes better than a lead channel on an amp so why not go that route for easy different sounding overdrives/distortions?
A preamp pushing the output section into overdrive is the most natural. This amp is what you want in an EL-84 amp. High treble like an AC/30, solid mids and strong bass like a blackface Fender. Being cathode bias it has a nice bloom to chords and single notes, a soft compression if you will. Also depending on how you set the treble, bass, mid and cut controls it can sound very much like a Bluesbreaker/JTM 45. Anywhere from about 9:00 this amp will give a very sweet overdrive, but back off on the volume control and it'll clean up enough for jazz. I usually play jump blues and jazz standards and this amp should work out great. I haven't gigged it yet but I have three gigs coming up quick and I expect to be very happy with this amp.
Anderson guitars with Anderson pickups have a very wide bandwidth even sound that best accentuated with an amp that has a very sweet treble that's best achieved with an amp with wide bandwidth, like a Dr.Z. This amp really compliments the guitar. If someone is considering an EL-84 amp such as a Bad Cat or Matchless, or even a Bogner Metropolis, they should try a Maz 38 or Maz 18. These amps sound great, probably just as good, and they are much less expensive. They are more money than the new AC/30 CCs but made much better and will probably last forever.
If you can spend more than $1,500 on an amp we are truly in a golden age of amps. All old amps were built as compromises for pricing but they were fortunate to have good parts to work with. Today even cheap amps can sound good and if you allow for their price and other limitations you can get good sounds. But for a great guitar like we all have a great amp should be used. Afterall, you wouldn't plug a $ 3,000 CD player into a boombox would you? I'd like to hear what others think about EL-84 amps. They're not for every style but they are definitely the sweetest/prettiest sounding.

dannopelli
07-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Well I can attest the the MAz 18 and 38 are great amps with a Tag or any guitar for that matter.

My current stage rig is a Maz 18 JR 2x10 and a Maz 38 Sr 1x12 with V30.

I run into the Jr from a pedalboard with various preamp type OD's and Distortions. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/dannopelli/PedalBoard.jpg

The signal returns from the amp via FX send to the pedalboard and to the Choralflange then into the Delay. From there it splits back to the MAZ 18 FX return and the Maz 38 RX return. By returning to the FX return on the 38 all the front panel controls except CUT are defeated. So both amps are controlled by the 18. Really get a nice sound with this rig.

billyguitar
07-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Great pedalboard! I play jump blues and jazz standards so I don't need all of that stuff. However, if I was to do a casual gig playing oldies and R & B I'd bring my Reverend Drivetrain. So far that's the most naural overdrive I've found. I've been interested in the Xotic BB. From the Allan Hinds video it seems to really sound good. Nobody here in Kansas City carries Xotic. How do you like it?
All the Fulltone pedals are too colored for me. Actually I was in Santa Monica's True Tone Music recently and tried everything they had. The only o/d that I liked was the Speedster Turbocharger and I would have to a/b my Drivetrain to be sure if it was an improvement. I recently ordered a Bad Cat 2 Tone and it didn't sound as good to me either so I sent it back.

dannopelli
07-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Well I do like the BB. It is very user friendly. It is more of a Santana type sound, more of a distortion than an OD. It is much like my DP1 except it retains a lot more pick attack. I use the DP1 for ballad type things, the BB for the same sound but more dynamics.

I do like the Fulltone stuff. The RC is cleaner than the Fat Boost, but other than that I am happy with all the Fulltone stuff. Just preference I guess. I use mostly none of that stuff on jazz gigs, and I tend to use a Fender Blues Deluxe or Mesa F 30 in that environment. But I need the board in a rock setting.

However if my pedalboard ever fails at a gig I just remove the Full Drive 2, pop in a battery, then play on. I play a clean signal from clean amps, so I do need some distortion in the rock band.

I did just get a Robotalk. Great pedal, but I think I don't have a lot of use for it. So that's going on ebay soon, along with the Ultimate Ocatave, which I use maybe once in a blue moon. :rolleyes: Going to sell both and get me a good volume pedal. :D

Yngve
07-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Billyguitar, thank you for your response and views on Star Amps. I've recently bought a Matchless DC-30 (I have not tried the Star or Dr. Z amps). We have a 91-92' Vox AC-30 TB Vintage (Rose Morris models), and I think the Matchless is superior in both build quality and sound. I don't think the DC-30 and the AC-30 sound anything like each other. My brother is considering buying a new Class A amp (the Vox will have to go thought :( ) I will talk him into trying a Dr. Z for a while. He's been looking for a Black Cat ever since I got the DC-30, but I think it's better to have one Matchless and one Dr. Z instead of two almost simular amps. We use these mostly in studio, but also live.

One thing worth saying about the DC-30: Carefully pick the EF86 tube! The pentode channel can sound anything from serious crap to wonderful just by replacing the EF86 with another brand.