PDA

View Full Version : My Atom Impressions

sylvanshine
07-02-2005, 09:59 AM
I've had mine for 2 days now and have some initial impressions I thought I would share.

The Feel
The body is thin in all the right places. It is SO comfortable to play. Nestles nicely into your body. The neck is very comfortable and fast (I prefer the Cobra std, so YMMV). The satin finish on the back of the neck has the feel of a nicely worn in maple neck (even though it is mahogany). The heel feels great when you go for those non-money notes up high. As reported by everyone so far, it hangs great on a strap.

The Look
Love love love the new bridge. I'm a wraparound fan anyway, but it is thing of beauty design. TAG finally got the LP red back color going on. Just the right amount of trans red where you can see the grain. Previous trans red backs I've seen on Cobra Specials didn't have the LP vibe. They got it perfect on mine. Oh, and the back of the neck is stained red as well. That surprised me. The new Sweet and Sour color (called Asian something or other at NAMM) is stunning. Don't have a Cajun Red to compare it to, but it seems to have more orange/yellow hues to it.

sylvanshine
07-02-2005, 10:11 AM
The Sounds
Please note that I go for hotter pickups than most here. My DTTs have HN3s and H1+s. My Atom currently has an H2+ and H1. So I was expecting more of a PAF vibe- lower output, warm, dig into the strings tone. So I was floored when I A/B'd the Atom against a DTT. The Atom was easily twice as loud. And man was it alive. Like you took a blanket off the amp. Really surprising and enjoyable. The whole guitar, even unplugged, is vibrant and acoustic. Loudest Anderson I've ever played unplugged.

Bridge gets nasty when you want it. Cleans up nicely when you roll the volume down. Really good sustain. Feedbacks (when you want it) at pretty low gain settings (blue channel on an XTC for reference). #3 position is very spanky. Best Tele spank I've heard outta TAG. To be honest, I'm not a big user of the #2 and #4 positions, but the Atom is on par with the best Cobras I've heard. The neck has a sweet singing sustain.

Tone is SO subjective. Let's just say, that for me, I hear all the great tones of the Cobra with a nice mid-range bump in each position.

I'll report back after I hear it in a band situation. Also, I'm switching out the bridge to a HW3 and I'll move the H2+ to the bridge. We'll see what happens.

Happy Atom Everybody!

BFC
07-02-2005, 11:53 AM
This report could be potentially harmful to my marriage.

dkaplowitz
07-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your impressions... I'm dying to try one.

BrianH
07-02-2005, 12:51 PM
What were you wearing when you first tried it out?

sylvanshine
07-02-2005, 01:04 PM
What were you wearing when you first tried it out?
Nuttin' but a smile. :eek:

brian b
07-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Nuttin' but a smile. :eek:
Was going to ask for some pics, but I'am not shure now. Enjoy :cool:

Dave K
07-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the review. I think we'll be standing in line to try the first one that arrives in the NW. ;)
Is the stained neck and back a standard finish on the Atom?

tom
07-02-2005, 03:56 PM
atom has a matching neck as standard. it will be matched to the back body color. it is the same satin finish we do on everything else, but i must admit there is something about seeing the color when you look down that makes it seem different, in a good way.

Dave K
07-02-2005, 04:12 PM
atom has a matching neck as standard. it will be matched to the back body color. it is the same satin finish we do on everything else, but i must admit there is something about seeing the color when you look down that makes it seem different, in a good way.

Okay, I'll take your word for it. Please send a few more Atom to the NW when you get a chance. ;)
Have a nice holiday Tom. :)

tom
07-02-2005, 04:14 PM
gonna have fun this weekend. i get to play my new hollow atom special with an ocd and zen2 through the hh2.

BFC
07-02-2005, 04:38 PM

What is the standard finish for the headstock face? Matching satin like the back of the neck or matching gloss like the back of the body?

Thanks!

sylvanshine
07-02-2005, 05:04 PM
What is the standard finish for the headstock face? Matching satin like the back of the neck or matching gloss like the back of the body?

Thanks!

Gloss, like back of the body. And like every other Anderson.

BFC
07-02-2005, 05:14 PM
I had to pay a few upchages for my Cobra S with the dark brown neck. I was adding all that up. Looks like the Atom just got a whole lot cheaper than what I had initially thought for what I would want. I might be in deep trouble. The two Classics I have on order are already pushing my luck. :cool:

sylvanshine
07-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Best shot I could get of gloss body and satin stain neck
http://www.sylvanshine.net/IMG_1050.JPG

Full frontal. More sweet than sour in this one
http://www.sylvanshine.net/IMG_1059.JPG

That amazing wraparound bridge
http://www.sylvanshine.net/IMG_1061.JPG

Nice shot of the body contour. Hugs you back!
http://www.sylvanshine.net/IMG_1065.JPG

BFC
07-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Does the bridge lock onto the studs ala Tone Pros?

sylvanshine
07-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Does the bridge lock onto the studs ala Tone Pros?

Only had it 2 days. Won't find out until I change the strings. Someone at TAG could tell you.

tom
07-02-2005, 11:56 PM
no locking studs on the wraparound.they are made for this bridge and are hardened steel and fit real nice. the bigsby loaded ones have locking studs because there's no presure to hold the bridge on.

BrianH
07-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Nice job on the GOTW, and just in time.

Dave K
07-03-2005, 05:28 PM
A round of applause to Tom http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/604.gif for thinking outside the box and doing something different. The new neck joint looks great. ;)

OSCAR ZOROASTER
07-04-2005, 09:13 PM
How much does it way? How does it balance seated without a strap? How would you compare the single coils to your DT?

sylvanshine
07-04-2005, 11:23 PM
How much does it way? How does it balance seated without a strap? How would you compare the single coils to your DT?

If you are asking me, my Atom weighs 6 lbs 13 oz. Fits great on your lap. Sorry, don't understand your last question. I don't have any single coils.