PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about the Switcheroo?

quadrophenia
07-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Can we discuss everyone's opinions about the Switcheroo? How do you like it compared to the more traditional pickup controls found on the Cobra?

Does anyone consider any one setting with the Switcheroo to be the "magic" position?

In your opinion, does the "series" setting on the over and under pickup (single coil shape) have any advantage over the "split" tone beside the lack of hum?

Does anyone have any opinion about the "parallel" tone compared to the "split" tone? It seems to be difficult to give up the classic split tone for the parallel tone. Perhaps setting either the neck or middle pickup to the parallel position while the other one is in split position is a viable option. If so, which pickup is the best choice for the parallel position?

And lastly, how does the combo of a humbucker in series/ neck pickup in parallel mode compare to a combo of a humbucker in series/ neck in split mode?

There seems to be a dizzying array of settings possible with the Switcheroo, especially when you consider taking the back cover off and playing with the split/parallel settings. What have you found to be some of the most practical ideas with the Switcheroo?

leecow
07-02-2005, 09:14 AM
Played with it for the first time yesterday while on an Atom recon mission and liked it well enough. My first discovery was that you can set things so the guitar is 'off', kinda surprised me ;)

It would certainly take some getting used to but nothing about it was unpleasant.

BFC
07-02-2005, 09:55 AM
The Switcheroo is great for tonal variety. What I found though is that I ended up finding and sticking with a few favorite tones which could easily be obtained with a five way. A five way is much easier to use in a live playing situation. If I was doing studio work again a Switcheroo might be handy if I wanted to try to cover it with one guitar.

Dave K
07-02-2005, 03:59 PM
If you like to sit down and explore combinations or you're a studio guy, it's fine. Like others I have a few favorite positions that get used, but they could be covered by the 5 way.Personally, if I could change one thing about my TAGs I'd have a 5 way on all of them instead of the Switcheroo.YMMV.