PDA

View Full Version : A.a.s

enr1co
06-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Forget "G.A.S." !
Its now "Atom Acquistion Syndrome" ;)

Made a mess drooling over my keyboard as I clicked on each of the
GOTW pic links :) The tops on all of them are beauty-ous!

Any of these going to some fortunate forum members? :D

BFC
06-26-2005, 11:20 AM
I was blown away by those photos! The Atom is definetly on my list.

I want one with a flame top similar to the Tobacco Fade but...

http://www.andersonguitars.com/customcontent/06-13-05A_06-13-05N_hyp.jpg

...in Sheer Gold with either a dark brown or natural back, not sure yet.

Dave K
06-26-2005, 03:03 PM
The big guy looks very happy. :)
Seems like the M pickups are very popular in Atom.
Bet they go pretty fast out of the stores that have them on the way.
Do you have a shop demo loaner that you can send up here to the NW
so we get to check one out,too? ;)

tom
06-26-2005, 05:54 PM
in the first batch, more were ordered with 2 full size humbuckers than with m's. the full size humbuckers have 3 point mount like the m's so they can be adjusted to match the angle of the neck.

Dave K
06-26-2005, 11:38 PM
When will you have some neck carve options for Atom, and what will they be?

tom
06-27-2005, 10:12 AM
you can currently order the standard which is the same as the cobra standard, and any oversize version of that and you can order 1 5/8 with the same back dimensions. i still have to work on the others. don't have an eta at this point.

Rhys
06-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Those are gorgeous. The Atom has such an inviting look. Is there much of a tonal/sonic difference between the Atom and a Cobra--if, for example, you were to compare one of each w/ same wood and PU appointments?

tom
06-27-2005, 12:47 PM
they are more different than you would expect. there is less of the fendery high end ping. the middle is wonderfully fat and vocal sounding. the feel and how it hangs are also very different. it has a solidness that i really love, and it has a more "hang to the left" feel, more like a tele or les paul than like a strat.

John C
06-27-2005, 01:00 PM
you can currently order the standard which is the same as the cobra standard, and any oversize version of that and you can order 1 5/8 with the same back dimensions. i still have to work on the others. don't have an eta at this point.

Tom - you did have to say 1 5/8" nut widths, didn't you. That is making the Atom really hard for me to resist! :)

Maybe something nice and simple - a plain gold top, 1 5/8" nut width standard neck with M1/M2 pickups to get that LP Deluxe vibe going. :D

tom
06-27-2005, 02:11 PM
we can do that. we have a 1 5/8 going to a dealer but it is for one of the guys there.

BFC
06-27-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm holding out for a 1 5/8" width '62 Pete Anderson. ;)

Dave K
06-27-2005, 02:32 PM
they are more different than you would expect. there is less of the fendery high end ping. the middle is wonderfully fat and vocal sounding. the feel and how it hangs are also very different.

STOP!!!! You're making it worse,Tom. I feel the pull of Atom. :D

Can you tell us what the wrap around bridge contributes to the tone versus a TOM/stop tailpiece or string thru design?

tom
06-27-2005, 03:46 PM
here's a breif sumation. the first proto was regular neck joint with a hardtail. #2 had reg neckjoint but with the wrap around bridge. that's where the no ping happened. smooth mids and a solid attack without the ping. #3 had the wrap around with the new neck joint. the bass got more solid and the highs got smoother. the solid feel thing got a lot more noticable too. i can't say about a tom and tail piece cause i never tried that. it was less desirable to me. i love the feel of the wrap around, and didn't see any advantage to the stop tail. this is totally undocumented, but if you think about the wrap around, all the tension is pulling laterally, not pushing down on the top. it just has a very comfy feel both on your hand and tonally. the attack of the guitar is very pleasing, it seems to feel like notes bloom so easily. i'm starting to get into those words that get used too much so i'll stop.

Roy (maybe)
06-28-2005, 10:06 AM
An Atom is now for me as well—perhaps the new Sweet & Sour Sauce Red. But, in the picture of that one did you notice the face between the case? What is that…or rather who is that?

Maybe

Dave K
06-28-2005, 02:07 PM
An Atom is now for me as well—perhaps the new Sweet & Sour Sauce Red. But, in the picture of that one did you notice the face between the case? What is that…or rather who is that?

Maybe

Looks to me like Wild Bill Hickok taking a peak. ;)
BTW, you guys like new colors so much, how about a chipotle pepper burst?
Let's see what you come up with. :D

http://www.deadwood.org/ClassLibrary/Page/Images/Data/190.jpg

dkaplowitz
06-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Yeah, how about a "habanero pretzel" atom? Fruity I tell ya!

BrownDog
06-28-2005, 03:02 PM
"The Dreaded Keeper"

With tone and oneness, Mike

Dave K
06-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Tell me there isn't a resemblance. :p

http://www.nwlink.com/~davemk/wbkeeper.jpg

sylvanshine
06-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Tom-

Is there a piezo version of the wraparound coming? I noticed a small hole under the bridge that appears to have a future purpose.

tom
06-30-2005, 02:26 PM
not in the near future. it was originally a priority, but the piezo saddle changed the sound way too much to be acceptible for me.

BrianH
06-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Tom-

Is there a piezo version of the wraparound coming? I noticed a small hole under the bridge that appears to have a future purpose.

How is it??

tom
06-30-2005, 03:14 PM
how is what?

sylvanshine
06-30-2005, 03:32 PM
That question was directed at me Tom. "It" is a new Anderson with a tangy Asian flavor. Goes great with pork.

Brian, we'll do a taste test tomorrow at the store.

tom
06-30-2005, 03:45 PM
ah that oh so sweet and oh so sour one?

sylvanshine
06-30-2005, 03:48 PM
是的。 是的。是的。

Dave K
07-01-2005, 12:43 AM
I just saw the GOTW was updated to show that an Atom is headed up here to the NW. :eek: Fantastic!Can't wait to play it. :D
Thank you to whoever is responsible for this. :)

Roy (maybe)
07-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Good eyes,

And oh Dave,

Wait until you see it in person. The pictures don’t even come close to doing it justice. It needed a photo session all its own to really show it off. That one just happened to get Tubular Quilt by the luck of the draw but to duplicate that Honey Burst Atom’s look again would require a Personalized Selection top. We can’t wait for you to see it, play it and enjoy it.

Happy Playing & Happy 4th,
Roy (maybe)

enr1co
07-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Ohh-ahhh...The atoms headed to Gelb are tasty but that tubular quilt honey burst with the M,M,H config is my favorite of the litter :) Hmmm... no tax if I have it sent back to CA ;)

Dave K
07-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Enr1co,

There are several guys up here waiting to check out an Atom,so it will have to stay in the store for at least a week or two no matter who buys it.In the meantime you can go to Gelb and play the two Atoms and give us a report. ;)
(especially on that dual bucker honey burst one)

Roy,Roy,Roy. You send an Atom to the NW and don't alert me? Am I over the quota or something? :p

BrownDog
07-01-2005, 11:57 AM
I'll be heading over to MassStreet Music first thing Saturday - a highlight of the holiday weekend!

With tone and oneness, Mike.

Dave K
07-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Here's a pic of the new neck joint.

http://www.massstreetmusic.com/catalog/images/101026-4.jpg

enr1co
07-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Enr1co,

There are several guys up here waiting to check out an Atom,so it will have to stay in the store for at least a week or two no matter who buys it.In the meantime you can go to Gelb and play the two Atoms and give us a report. ;)

Im all talk on this one - these days Id have a difficult time to afford the shipping :D

Will likely have to save up the food stamps for a 2006 model ;)

In the meantime, I'll just savor the memory :)
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3577307/1121246364648_2884_1_.jpg

JoeB63
07-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Here's a pic of the new neck joint.

http://www.massstreetmusic.com/catalog/images/101026-4.jpg

Finally!!!! Thank you!

Dave K
07-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Im all talk on this one - these days Id have a difficult time to afford the shipping :D

Will likely have to save up the food stamps for a 2006 model ;)

In the meantime, I'll just savor the memory :)

At least you've had the chance to play one. ;)
I'm gonna have to do some gear liquidation to bring an Atom home,too. :(
At least next week I'll be watching Valentino Rossi ride the wheels off his Yamaha. :eek: Ain't that right, Dave M? :D

tom
07-01-2005, 02:55 PM
joe, you will want to be looking for gotw this week, i've heard a rumor that the joint will be exploded :eek:

GaryMcT
07-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Oh no! I'm in trouble with a Atom showing up at Northwest Guitars!!! I walked into the shop yesterday and had Kevin showing me a screenshot of the one that is coming in. I was already drooling over that one before I knew it was showing up here!

I already have a drop top on order, and I don't think my wife will let me buy another one (my limit is apparently one per year). I'm going to check it out nonetheless. :)

Hey Roy, thanks for sending that one to Northwest Guitars!

Gary

enr1co
07-02-2005, 12:28 AM
In the meantime you can go to Gelb and play the two Atoms and give us a report. ;)

Talked to Erik @ Gelb and he let me know the two Atoms arrived WED and
are waiting for me :eek:

Well... it is 4th of July weekend and I would be buying American thus
fueling the economy... Naahh, I dont think this would fly with the boss-dont want to add to the holiday death statistic ;)

JoeB63
07-02-2005, 12:39 AM
joe, you will want to be looking for gotw this week, i've heard a rumor that the joint will be exploded :eek:

I wait with baited breath. Please let me know if you've got one coming to MusicMakers in Austin sometime soon so I can check one out.

leecow
07-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Oh no! I'm in trouble with a Atom showing up at Northwest Guitars!!!

lol! I stopped in yesterday after work and talked with Vinnie for a while and to see what TAs were laying around. While I was talking with him about the Atom someone (likely from this group) called in to find out about it as well.

Anyway, very nice folks and that combined with a few TAs on the wall is not necessarily a good thing. Glad they haven't discovered snobby amps yet ;)

BFC
07-02-2005, 11:54 AM
The new neck joint looks impressive. So there is going to be some technical info coming soon then?

Dave M.
07-02-2005, 02:20 PM
At least you've had the chance to play one. ;)
I'm gonna have to do some gear liquidation to bring an Atom home,too. :(

Hmmm, I wonder what would be slipping out from under the fingers..... ;)

At least next week I'll be watching Valentino Rossi ride the wheels off his Yamaha. :eek: Ain't that right, Dave M? :D

Absolutely!!
Let's hope the weather is sunny and Vale has a good day:

http://www.capitracing.de/public_news/20040418_MotoGP_Rossi_005.jpg

And not one quite like this:
http://i.timeinc.net/time/europe/magazine/2002/0729/rossi.jpg

WLF!!! :D

Dave M.
07-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Good eyes,

And oh Dave,

Wait until you see it in person. The pictures don’t even come close to doing it justice. It needed a photo session all its own to really show it off. That one just happened to get Tubular Quilt by the luck of the draw but to duplicate that Honey Burst Atom’s look again would require a Personalized Selection top. We can’t wait for you to see it, play it and enjoy it.

Happy Playing & Happy 4th,
Roy (maybe)

Roy (maybe),

This is great news! I'm not sure if you're out for the weekend, but do you know when the ETA is for the Atom at NWG?

Have a fun and safe holiday!! :p

Dave K
07-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Roy (maybe),

This is great news! I'm not sure if you're out for the weekend, but do you know when the ETA is for the Atom at NWG?

Hopefully Tuesday. Grab a number and stand in line. ;)

GaryMcT
07-03-2005, 04:54 AM
Hopefully Tuesday. Grab a number and stand in line. ;)

I think I'm first in line to see it? My wife will kill me though if I even think about buying it since I have a drop top on order, so you don't have to worry about me buying it. :)

Gary

Dave K
07-03-2005, 12:57 PM
I think I'm first in line to see it? My wife will kill me though if I even think about buying it since I have a drop top on order, so you don't have to worry about me buying it. :)

Gary

Vinnie and Kevin will fight it out for first, then it's your turn. ;)
I'm sure once they play it they'll order a few more for the store,and I'm sure once you get your drop top it will be just the start of your collection. :D

Roy (maybe)
07-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Hi Dave M,

It should be another week or so I would guess, for Atom to arrive at Northwest Guitars. It will be more than worth the wait.

Dave M.
07-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Hi Dave M,

It should be another week or so I would guess, for Atom to arrive at Northwest Guitars. It will be more than worth the wait.

Thanks Roy (maybe),

The timing of its arrival could be either very good or a big tease. At least for this other guy named Dave from this area. ;)

See, he and I are heading out today for Cali, and when we get back he might be really ready to try our the Atom, or just plain flat broke. :p

Either way, I know that he and I both (among others) are looking forward to its NW debut. :D

Dave K
07-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Back from vacation (Yay Nicky Hayden! :) ) and Dave M and I visited Gelb Music in Redwood City and got to play an Atom. Props to Erik at Gelb for being a cool dude and knowing his TAGs as well. What did we think.............? :D

tom
07-12-2005, 11:47 PM
the honey burst will be leaving for nw tomorrow.

GaryMcT
07-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Back from vacation (Yay Nicky Hayden! :) ) and Dave M and I visited Gelb Music in Redwood City and got to play an Atom. Props to Erik at Gelb for being a cool dude and knowing his TAGs as well. What did we think.............? :D

What a tease!!! Tell us!!! :)

GaryMcT
07-13-2005, 02:27 AM
the honey burst will be leaving for nw tomorrow.

I can't wait to see it! I'll let Kevin and Vinnie there know if they don't already know.

Roy (maybe)
07-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Oops,

I have made a horrible mistake concerning the Honey Burst Atom slated for Northwest Guitars. I said it looked better than the pictures but I was wrong. That comment was such a horrible understatement it is not even funny. This Quilted Honey Burst that is leaving today for Northwest Guitars is light years better looking that any of the pictures. I almost fell over when I opened the case again. Rachel had to catch me.

Hope you like it half as much as I did.

Happy Playing,
Maybe Roy Maybe

Dave K
07-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Here's a quick review for ya. ;)

Looks - If you've checked out the pics, Atom looks much the same in person.
It's not a carved top,so seeing a single cut body that's flat with the exception of the forearm contour, you won't think it's a different guitar than the pics.The shape doesn't knock me out,but it doesn't turn me off either.

Feel - Picking up Atom you feel a well balanced guitar.What surprised me was how comfortable it was in playing position right from the start.You know how sometimes you have to play a guitar for awhile to adapt to it? Atom felt familiar from the first chord.The neck angle isn't extreme,the bridge doesn't sit too high,no bruised forearm,no slouching from weight- all the complaints I have of a traditional single cut are gone.
There's a contour around the top edge of the back of the body,but it's not extreme or what I'd call a tummy cut.Just enough to remove the sharp edge from digging into your ribs.The new neck joint has smooth contour that's nicely rounded towards the high E.Upper fret access is super easy.
All in all, the feel far outweighs the looks for me.

Tone - First thing is, it doesn't sound like a bolt-on neck.Unplugged you notice a solid fundamental with fat mids,but still retaining snap and attack.
More high end than a set-neck,more lows than a bolt-on.
Next we plugged into a Bogner Shiva to hear what Atom does with OD. :D
The H2+ in the bridge conveyed the fat mids and lows along with some nice overtones.Atom has the chunk but doesn't lose the bite.Dig that. :p
This Atom is loaded with M1s in the middle and neck,which threw me off what I wanted to hear or was expecting to hear.It's not a familiar tone,and I found it kinda an odd combination.I would go for an H1- in the neck to get fat bucker tones or split to get a fattish single coil tone.I can't explain what the M1s sound like in the neck or middle,but it's definitely not for me.Two buckers and a five way like my Cobra and I would have had a hard time parting with this Atom.

There ya go,my quick review. ;)

Dave M.
07-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Back from vacation (Yay Nicky Hayden! :) )...

Yep! Kudos to the Kentucky Kid. :)

http://www.nickyhaydenfans.com/imagenes/NiCKy/gp_eeuu7.jpg

... and Dave M and I visited Gelb Music in Redwood City and got to play an Atom. Props to Erik at Gelb for being a cool dude and knowing his TAGs as well. What did we think.............? :D

The Atom was cool. What can I say? DK and I couldn't pass up a chance to swing by and try one out since we had an opportunity. Much thanks to Erik, and Gelb is still as I remember it from quite a few years ago. Great folks, nice choices, cool atmosphere, and some real nice basses. (Didn't think I'd let that get by, did'ja DK? ;) )

GaryMcT
07-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Here's a quick review for ya. ;)

Looks - If you've checked out the pics, Atom looks much the same in person.
It's not a carved top,so seeing a single cut body that's flat with the exception of the forearm contour, you won't think it's a different guitar than the pics.The shape doesn't knock me out,but it doesn't turn me off either.

Feel - Picking up Atom you feel a well balanced guitar.What surprised me was how comfortable it was in playing position right from the start.You know how sometimes you have to play a guitar for awhile to adapt to it? Atom felt familiar from the first chord.The neck angle isn't extreme,the bridge doesn't sit too high,no bruised forearm,no slouching from weight- all the complaints I have of a traditional single cut are gone.
There's a contour around the top edge of the back of the body,but it's not extreme or what I'd call a tummy cut.Just enough to remove the sharp edge from digging into your ribs.The new neck joint has smooth contour that's nicely rounded towards the high E.Upper fret access is super easy.
All in all, the feel far outweighs the looks for me.

Tone - First thing is, it doesn't sound like a bolt-on neck.Unplugged you notice a solid fundamental with fat mids,but still retaining snap and attack.
More high end than a set-neck,more lows than a bolt-on.
Next we plugged into a Bogner Shiva to hear what Atom does with OD. :D
The H2+ in the bridge conveyed the fat mids and lows along with some nice overtones.Atom has the chunk but doesn't lose the bite.Dig that. :p
This Atom is loaded with M1s in the middle and neck,which threw me off what I wanted to hear or was expecting to hear.It's not a familiar tone,and I found it kinda an odd combination.I would go for an H1- in the neck to get fat bucker tones or split to get a fattish single coil tone.I can't explain what the M1s sound like in the neck or middle,but it's definitely not for me.Two buckers and a five way like my Cobra and I would have had a hard time parting with this Atom.

There ya go,my quick review. ;)

I think the M1's are going to be the single thing that keeps me from wanting to buy this guitar when it shows up. :) This is a good thing actually.

Dave K
07-13-2005, 11:12 PM
I think the M1's are going to be the single thing that keeps me from wanting to buy this guitar when it shows up. :) This is a good thing actually.

All I know is that the M1 doesn't work for me in a short scale mahogany guitar.
I wanna hear that classic neck pickup tone,which I can get with my Cobra and an H1-. I'm betting an Atom with the same would sound amazing to my ears.
(that is if they recover from the noise of those GP bikes) ;)

brian b
07-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Now the only problem I see with my new ATOM is the different size case, Can't sneek past the wife. :rolleyes:

By the way mine is the one in the middle.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/bcbtoby/atom.jpg

tom
07-14-2005, 06:18 PM
you could tell her it's that old gibson you never play ;)

brian b
07-14-2005, 09:48 PM
you could tell her it's that old gibson you never play ;)
Yea but that's breaking one of the commandents. :D

tom
07-15-2005, 10:42 AM
ah, yes.
thanks again for the ebow. i can't believe how new it looks.

brian b
07-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Talking of songs with e-bow was just playing Delrious's Obession really good use of an e-bow.

Rhys
07-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Yea but that's breaking one of the commandents. :D

Since confession is encouraged, that Atom of yours has caused me to break a commandment...#10 I think--"You shall not covet . . . anything that belongs to your neighbor." Maybe its not so bad since TX and SC are so far away we aren't really neighbors.

brian b
07-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Since confession is encouraged, that Atom of yours has caused me to break a commandment...#10 I think--"You shall not covet . . . anything that belongs to your neighbor." Maybe its not so bad since TX and SC are so far away we aren't really neighbors.
Just repent after everytime you look at one and you should be ok, somtihing like grace.

tom
07-15-2005, 03:23 PM
obsession is a good one, and actually had an ebow part. most of the time i'm having to cover some other instrument that we don't have or filling in where keys would normally be.

BrianH
07-15-2005, 09:00 PM
When I think of ebow I'm always taken back to those Black Oak Arkansas glory days (and those dudes had ebow holsters).

brian b
07-15-2005, 10:08 PM
You mean like this. Which now in the commanders hands.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/bcbtoby/ebow.jpg

GaryMcT
07-18-2005, 02:05 AM

Oh no, I might be in trouble. Can an Atom be rerouted for a full-size humbucker if it original has M's in it?

Gary

tom
07-18-2005, 12:17 PM
the m is smaller, but there's no way to do the nice edge rounding that we do after it has been painted. for me, i can't imagine not having an m in the neck position. guess that's why we have so many options.

Dave K
07-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Would an M2 in the neck give a fatter,fuller bucker tone? Looking for something closer to an H1-.

tom
07-18-2005, 01:42 PM
the m2 is a wider spaced, different sized pickup, so it wouldn't fit either. if you really like the H1-, that's what you should get. the m's are really made for that middle ground between single coils and humbuckers. they were also made with this guitar in mind, so that single coilish tones and humbuckers could live together and play nice with each other in the same guitar.

Dave K
07-18-2005, 01:58 PM
Darn it anyway. :( I guess I'm officially out of the running for the Atom headed to NWG. It sure looks amazing,though. :eek:

GaryMcT
07-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Darn it anyway. :( I guess I'm officially out of the running for the Atom headed to NWG. It sure looks amazing,though. :eek:

I didn't like M's in Dave K's classic, but I'm willing to keep an open mind with them in the Atom. Atom . . . must . . . show.. up. . . soon. :)

Gary

GaryMcT
07-18-2005, 03:31 PM
I didn't like M's in Dave K's classic, but I'm willing to keep an open mind with them in the Atom. Atom . . . must . . . show.. up. . . soon. :)

Gary

Just heard from NW Guitars. . . IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tom
07-18-2005, 04:20 PM
run, forest,run!

Dave K
07-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Just heard from NW Guitars. . . IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're waiting for your report,Gary. ;)

GaryMcT
07-18-2005, 05:16 PM
We're waiting for your report,Gary. ;)

Apparently there is already someone there that wants to buy it. I hope it's still there when I get there! :) I'll see it in a couple of hours.

Dave K
07-18-2005, 06:06 PM
I think NW Guitars should just order several more already. ;)
I'd like one in Desert Sunset with an H2+a and H1-a. :)

GaryMcT
07-18-2005, 11:34 PM
All I can say is that my poor strat (former favorite guitar of all times) is going to get awfully lonely in its case all by itself. :)

Dave K
07-18-2005, 11:51 PM
Uh-oh. Hope you're not sleeping in the dog house tonight with a new guitar. ;)

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 01:16 AM
Nope, she actually suggested that I buy it, and she knew before I even got there that I would want it. :) She got an MTD bass this morning also for herself. I guess I softened her up without even thinking about it. :)

This is my last Half-Life 2 toy (except for the drop top that is on order. . doh!). . I need to make another game before I spend much more money on musical equipment. :)

I'm going to drop it back to the store tomorrow so that they can show it to a few more folks that are interested in the Atom. If anyone else around here (Seattle/Bellevue) ever wants to try one, give me a holler. Also, there is a big shindig there (with home-cooked food) this weekend. Kevin Fallon's band is going to play.

Here my thoughts so far:

1) Sustain to die for
2) Bridge posiiton sound pays for the guitar. There are harmonics in every note that I'm not used to hearing. You hear them even with the tone knob all the way down.
3) Did I mention that it has a lot of sustain?
4) The 4th position (bridge, middle) with the knob pushed in is way quackier than I expected (in a good way). I will use this in situations where I would use the 2nd position on a strat. The 2nd doesn't sound much like a strat. . I'm sure there are uses for it though. I'm ecstatic to get the 4th position sound since I didn't expect to get a strat sound at all out of this guitar! (Note that I didn't even notice this sound until I got it home. Like I said, this guitar could have a volume knob and the bridge pickup and be worth the price.)
5) The middle position is way more useful than I expected
6) The spec says: "5-Way with Push/Pull Switch—for 8 Sounds" What exactly is this doing? Series vs. parallel?
7) This guitar is seriously balanced (in all means of the word balance). You can even tell from just holding the case. :)
8) and a lot of sustain.
9) The tone and volume knobs are way more useful than I am used to. I don't really need more than one amp channel with this guitar. Well, a twin reverb channel and a marshall channel will do. I'm running this through an Egnater IE4 preamp/boogie 20/20 poweramp right now. . sounds unbelievable!
10) I no longer need my GForce. I don't need to cover up via chorus and/or doubling out of tune chords when I'm using an overdriven channel. Of course you all know this. . realize that this is my first Anderson. :) Both Buzz F and Anderson have done a great thing here.
11) This is the first short scale guitar that I've ever wanted.
12) sustain
13) Has anyone mentioned (sustain) that this weighs less than a alder hollow drop-top? It is. Is it hollow? I can't tell from the spec.
14) The neck (sustain) position has a great sound with a twin reverb-y amp tone
15) I actually play about twice as good since I bought this guitar. :) No, really.

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 01:23 AM
Also, Tom, how much time did you guys spend developing this guitar? This is a much bigger improvement than I expected.

Gary

leecow
07-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the review Gary. My wife loves you a bunch ... no really, that pan coming your direction is a sign of affection.

I know what I'm doing for lunch today :D

Dave K
07-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Congrats, Gary. :) Isn't it cool to pick up a guitar that just feels right,and then the notes just flow from your fingers? You certainly have an excellent start to your collection. :D

sylvanshine
07-19-2005, 10:59 AM
This is my last Half-Life 2 toy

Gary-

Not a gamer myself, but am still impressed that you are on the forum. Where is your Texas office? From the Valve site I got the sense that some of the staff were ex-Gathering of Developers.

Anyway, welcome to the Atom club. It's pretty exclusive now, but about to get a lot more crowded. Enjoy!

dkaplowitz
07-19-2005, 11:41 AM
This is my last Half-Life 2 toy (except for the drop top that is on order. . doh!). . I need to make another game before I spend much more money on musical equipment. :)
Gaming and guitars... sounds like the good life!

tom
07-19-2005, 12:22 PM
glad you're liking it gary. i've been working on this guitar in my head for a few years. i started seriously working on it a ytear or so ago. i took all the protos out for giging over the past year, modding as i went. it really is the guitar i've been dreaming of for quite some time. since it didn't have to fit any retro parts, i was able to do everything i wanted to do.
i use the push pull as kind of a situational switch. it makes the bridge pu run in parallel in all three positions it is on. in 3 and 4 it is normally split, which is my favorite sound. there have been situations where the noise from that has been a problem, so if you pull the pot up, 3 and 4 become quiet but with a similar tone. bridge position with the pot pulled up gives you a brighter bridge position tone.

leecow
07-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Stopped by NW guitars and played Gary's new toy for a few minutes. Lucky dog! What a wonderful instrument! Congrats to Gary on the acquisition and congrats to everyone at Anderson for a fine piece of work.

BTW Gary, love λ2. Wish I actually had time to play ;)

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Stopped by NW guitars and played Gary's new toy for a few minutes. Lucky dog! What a wonderful instrument! Congrats to Gary on the acquisition and congrats to everyone at Anderson for a fine piece of work.

BTW Gary, love λ2. Wish I actually had time to play ;)

Wait a minute!! You are in the Seattle area too? I think we are verging on having enough people that we need to arrange a get-together. :) Dave K, Dave M, leecow, me. . . I don't know if Dave K would want to haul all 7 of his guitars though. :)

We should all meet up at NW Guitar sometime. I'd love to show off this Atom. :)

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Gaming and guitars... sounds like the good life!

Well, I haven't played guitar in about 7 years (during the time I was working on HL2). Making games is a LOT of work. It's really nice now to work a normal-lengthed day now and head home to my new Atom. :) Plus I'm teaching my wife how to play bass, which makes it ever better.

We actually have enough musicians here at Valve to form a few bands. :) One of the level designers is a professional drummer at night. Our receptionist is a singer in a professional band and the guitarist for the same band works here. The guy that records all of the sound effects for the game also writes and records all of the game music by himself. There are 5 of us that just starting getting together weekly to learn some covers. I really forgot how fun music is. I didn't even listen to music much while working on Half-Life2. . now I'm glued to my iPod. :)

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Gary-

Not a gamer myself, but am still impressed that you are on the forum. Where is your Texas office? From the Valve site I got the sense that some of the staff were ex-Gathering of Developers.

Anyway, welcome to the Atom club. It's pretty exclusive now, but about to get a lot more crowded. Enjoy!

You are probably referring to the folks that work at Ritual. They are a separate game company that is using our distribution technology and our game engine to make their own games, the Sin Episodes. I actually used to work at Ritual in Dallas. . they are right by Dallas Alley (I think that's what it's called) in downtown Dallas (that is unless they have moved.)

I agree with you on the Atom. I would seriously recommend that anyone that is looking at the Cobra find an Atom and try it. Also, Tom/Roy, you should make sure all of the rockers out there (Vivian Campbell, Richie Sambora, etc.) try the Atom. It is the ultimate rockin' guitar.

Dave K
07-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Wait a minute!! You are in the Seattle area too? I think we are verging on having enough people that we need to arrange a get-together. :) Dave K, Dave M, leecow, me. . . I don't know if Dave K would want to haul all 7 of his guitars though. :)

We should all meet up at NW Guitar sometime. I'd love to show off this Atom. :)

I'll haul my seven as long as there's beer at the final destination. ;)
If y'all wait long enough there will be eight in the stable and we can compare Atoms. :D

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 05:59 PM
I'll haul my seven as long as there's beer at the final destination. ;)
If y'all wait long enough there will be eight in the stable and we can compare Atoms. :D

Do you have an Atom on order? If so, when?!?! :)

Dave K
07-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Do you have an Atom on order? If so, when?!?! :)

I've done some gear liquidation lately (yes,there were other guitars you didn't see ;) ) and I know what I want in an Atom,so I'm keepin' an eye out for what's showing up at dealers. Did I tell you about the bitchin' Bora Bora Hollow T we saw at Gelb? That finish glowed like a tropical ocean. Spectacular. :eek:

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 06:33 PM
I've done some gear liquidation lately (yes,there were other guitars you didn't see ;) ) and I know what I want in an Atom,so I'm keepin' an eye out for what's showing up at dealers. Did I tell you about the bitchin' Bora Bora Hollow T we saw at Gelb? That finish glowed like a tropical ocean. Spectacular. :eek:

Ooooh, I like to hear that about bora bora since the drop top that I ordered is bora bora to trans blue burst!!! I'm starting to waffle between the SD pickups that I chose and SA. I may have to order a set of SA's just in case. :)

Here's my background at work (compressed quite a bit):

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Has the one on the right in this shot surfaced? It has Dave K written all over it!!! Man, finish is sweet!!!!!!

http://www.andersonguitars.com/customcontent/06-16-05N_06-15-05N_hyp_06-.jpg

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Has the one on the right in this shot surfaced? It has Dave K written all over it!!! Man, finish is sweet!!!!!!

It went to Indoor Storm in North Carolina.

tom
07-19-2005, 06:54 PM
it's also a special order for a very lucky guy named keith.

Dave K
07-19-2005, 07:26 PM

I inquired about that one already. :p
Would make it easy if TAG posted what gets shipped each week. Maybe too easy. ;) I'd like to see what's going out the door,though. :D

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Would make it easy if TAG posted what gets shipped each week. Maybe too easy. ;) I'd like to see what's going out the door,though. :D

It would be nice to see all of the runner ups for Guitar of the Week. :)

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 07:38 PM

You wouldn't be able to see pictures, but you could enter sequential serial numbers to see the specs of what is going out. :)

tom
07-19-2005, 07:54 PM
why not sound clips for every guitar we make! we could probably get 1 guitar built each week that way :rolleyes:

Dave K
07-19-2005, 07:55 PM
You wouldn't be able to see pictures, but you could enter sequential serial numbers to see the specs of what is going out. :)

I do that, but it doesn't list to which dealer it was shipped,so I have to hunt them down. Tiger's Eye seems to be a popular finish.

tom
07-19-2005, 08:03 PM
dark cherry burst seems to be the most popular atom color so far, and twin humbuckers is also the most common. 7 more going out this week.

tom
07-19-2005, 08:04 PM
i'll be playing them tomorrow. what are you looking for?

Dave K
07-19-2005, 08:24 PM
I like a burst with a dark color around the edge. Desert Sunset,Burnished Orange Burst,Dark Cherry Burst are what I've seen so far that I really like.
An H1- in the neck and an H2 or H2+ in the bridge.
Have any been shipped with jumbo SS wire?

Thanks for your time,Tom. ;)

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 08:35 PM
glad you're liking it gary. i've been working on this guitar in my head for a few years. i started seriously working on it a ytear or so ago. i took all the protos out for giging over the past year, modding as i went. it really is the guitar i've been dreaming of for quite some time. since it didn't have to fit any retro parts, i was able to do everything i wanted to do.
i use the push pull as kind of a situational switch. it makes the bridge pu run in parallel in all three positions it is on. in 3 and 4 it is normally split, which is my favorite sound. there have been situations where the noise from that has been a problem, so if you pull the pot up, 3 and 4 become quiet but with a similar tone. bridge position with the pot pulled up gives you a brighter bridge position tone.

Is this correct?

(position 1 is neck, position 5 is bridge)

pos 1 pot in --- neck by itself in series
pos 2 pot in --- neck and middle, both split?
pos 3 pot in --- neck and bridge, both split?
pos 4 pot in --- middle and bridge, both split
pos 5 pot in --- bridge by itself in series

pos 1 pot out --- same as above
pos 2 pot out --- same as above
pos 3 pot out --- neck and bridge, both in parallel with themselves?
pos 4 pot out --- middle and bridge, both in parallel with themselves
pos 5 pot out --- bridge by itself in parallel?

GaryMcT
07-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Is this correct?

(position 1 is neck, position 5 is bridge)

pos 1 pot in --- neck by itself in series
pos 2 pot in --- neck and middle, both split?
pos 3 pot in --- neck and bridge, both split?
pos 4 pot in --- middle and bridge, both split
pos 5 pot in --- bridge by itself in series

pos 1 pot out --- same as above
pos 2 pot out --- same as above
pos 3 pot out --- neck and bridge, both in parallel with themselves?
pos 4 pot out --- middle and bridge, both in parallel with themselves
pos 5 pot out --- bridge by itself in parallel?

Nevermind. . .really bad guesses on my part. I got the real wiring info from Roy via NW Guitars.

BoraBora
07-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Congrats on your Atom purchase Gary, the Atom's are sweet guitars. I'm sure you'll be buying many more Andersons in the future. :D

Also, great job to you and the rest of Valve for making such a stellar video game with Half-Life 2. It's the best First Person Shooter video game to come out since the first Half-Life game. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys video games.

It's cool to see someone working for the best gaming software company is also playing the best guitars. :cool:

Dave M.
07-19-2005, 10:38 PM

That trans-blackburst finish is one I've jonesd on for a long time. I really wanted to pull the trigger on pluto's Cobra S that had that finish. That guitar also had some other features that I thought were stellar. Alas, it didn't happen. Sometimes things just go that way, I suppose. :(

I'd also still consider a koa DT or HDT. But Dave K also mentioned that Bora Bora we saw at Gelb. Considering how it looks, and the weather that was there, it sure does look good enough to dive into. :D

Dave K
07-19-2005, 11:33 PM
ahhh.............ohhh.............(drool)......... I just thought of a cherry shaded koa topped Atom. :p
If Tom could make that happen I'd send him so many Junior's cheesecake that he could make a mattress of them. ;)

Suriel Zayas
07-20-2005, 08:42 AM
I'd send him so many Junior's cheesecake that he could make a mattress of them. ;)

dave, i already tried that and look what it got me. i'm horrible taking pics, but this is my best. i tried to show the sparkle on the top & the silver sparkle binding. i'm not sure if mr. maybe got to snap a few quality shots before it left the new bury park lab. i'll post a tone report soon. (http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?p=11064#post11064)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/surielz/AtomDkCherryBurstSparkle.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/surielz/AtomDkCherryBurstSparkle1.jpg

guitarzan
07-20-2005, 09:55 AM
Suriel,
aren't you on the road right now? Would that be a hotel comforter you've used as a backdrop? That means you can give the scoop on whether or not the Atom cuts through the sound of screaming fans? How does it fit in that mix? :)

(*btw- when you get back, we'll email about tone a bit more- I'm still livin' on the HTC w/ M's and I just picked up a Zendrive day before yesterday. Add a Hellbilly and we'll see what kind of noise comes from my gigs this weekend...)

tom
07-20-2005, 10:17 AM
yes suriel is on the road. atom arrived the day before he left so it went with him. we're all waiting for a report.

Dave K
07-20-2005, 10:32 AM
dave, i already tried that and look what it got me. i'm horrible taking pics, but this is my best. i tried to show the sparkle on the top & the silver sparkle binding. i'm not sure if mr. maybe got to snap a few quality shots before it left the new bury park lab. i'll post a tone report soon. (http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?p=11064#post11064)

Fanatastic,Suriel. How many cheesecakes did it take to get that? ;)
I looked into a pallet of cheesecake,and I think a 5/4 slab of curly koa is cheaper. :eek:

GaryMcT
07-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Congrats on your Atom purchase Gary, the Atom's are sweet guitars. I'm sure you'll be buying many more Andersons in the future. :D

Also, great job to you and the rest of Valve for making such a stellar video game with Half-Life 2. It's the best First Person Shooter video game to come out since the first Half-Life game. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys video games.

It's cool to see someone working for the best gaming software company is also playing the best guitars. :cool:

Thanks for the praise on the game. I didn't actually work on the first Half-Life, but I was here for the whole development of the second one. I did a lot of the rendering technology for HL2.

I love my Atom. Everyone should have one. :) I showed it to a guy here at work that has been playing the same Les Paul since 1972. He agreed that the Atom is all the goodness of a Les Paul without all of the badness of a Les Paul. Of course it's even more than that, but that's a good start to describe the Atom.

I have a friend that is a Floyd Rose addict. Is there any way that at Atom is ever going to be able to have one of those on there? Please don't through hunks of wood at me. . it's not for me! :) The Atom has such a great bridge pickup sound that I know the Floyd addicts are going to want it. :)

Dave K
07-20-2005, 04:49 PM

So how are they ,Tom? :)

http://www.johncarverinn.com/images/cheesecake.jpg

tom
07-20-2005, 04:51 PM
kachunk, kachunk....hope it didn't hurt too bad. can you tell it's really hot here and i'm feeling a bit loopy?
no plans for a floyd here. the bigsby is wonderful for the soft trem thing but i know it won't do the dive bomb. we'll have to see about the future.

Dave K
07-20-2005, 05:01 PM
You'll feel better after a snack. :D

http://www.gothamist.com/images/2004_03_cheesecake.jpg

tom
07-20-2005, 05:04 PM
the plain one is the one. putting stuff on top is like gilding the lily.
the batch of atoms was wonderful. i am loving how consistantly great they are sounding.

GaryMcT
07-20-2005, 05:16 PM
kachunk, kachunk....hope it didn't hurt too bad. can you tell it's really hot here and i'm feeling a bit loopy?
no plans for a floyd here. the bigsby is wonderful for the soft trem thing but i know it won't do the dive bomb. we'll have to see about the future.

Is the bigsby any better (when floating) about keeping the "other" strings in tune when bending than other trems? Can a bigsby be setup to not float?

tom
07-20-2005, 06:49 PM
because it has way less travel, it has less issues with bent notes. i have a drop d tuner on mine and i don't have to retune when i drop it.

GaryMcT
07-20-2005, 07:03 PM
because it has way less travel, it has less issues with bent notes. i have a drop d tuner on mine and i don't have to retune when i drop it.

Wow, that sounds perfect. I'll have to try one next time I'm at NW Guitar. . they have a guitar of some sort there with a bigsby.

tom
07-20-2005, 08:10 PM
for a bigsby to really work many other factors need to be in order. i've never used one that works as well as this one does on atom.

GaryMcT
07-21-2005, 02:14 AM
So apparently I'm going to keep going on about the Atom's tone. . .

My favorite tone for today is to use the bridge pickup (series humbucking H2) with a moderately distorted Marshall sort of sound (in my case, the third channel of an Egnater IE4 preamp with the gain at about 12 o'clock) with the tone knob on the guitar turned down all the way. I couldn't stop playing "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by the Beatles using bare fingers (alla Jeff Beck). I'm used to turning the tone knob down and getting mush. You don't get mush on the Atom. In this case, you get really nice overtones popping out exactly when you want them too.

On a completely different note, do you guys have high resolution versions of the pictures from Guitar of the Week? I'd love to have higher resolution versions of these:

http://www.andersonguitars.com/images/guitarImages/07,15,2005_12-29-19.jpg
http://www.andersonguitars.com/customcontent/06-16-05P_from_buttons_hyp.jpg

Yes, this is a huge waste of your time, but I figured I'd ask just in case the were really really handy. :)

On a related note, my wife is a pretty good photographer. . when we get this Seattle area Anderson shindig to happen, I'll get her to take some nice pictures of all the guitars.

Gary

GaryMcT
07-21-2005, 02:33 AM
lol! I stopped in yesterday after work and talked with Vinnie for a while and to see what TAs were laying around. While I was talking with him about the Atom someone (likely from this group) called in to find out about it as well.

Anyway, very nice folks and that combined with a few TAs on the wall is not necessarily a good thing. Glad they haven't discovered snobby amps yet ;)

They are getting into the Randall modular amps designed by Bruce Egnater very soon. Is that snobby enough? :)

GaryMcT
07-21-2005, 02:34 AM

Gary

The quoted stuff here is fairly ironic in hindsight. :D

Roy (maybe)
07-21-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi Gary,

Congratulations on your stellar Atom by the way.

I spoke with the real Roy for you about your picture request. Perhaps you should call him. He wanted me to ask you, “Do you want the big picture of Jesse’s bag head as well?” He says with more pixels it is a very good looking bag—with the “A-logo” and all. I think it is what a lot of guitar players will be wearing this season.

Maybe

Dave K
07-21-2005, 10:25 AM
The quoted stuff here is fairly ironic in hindsight. :D

We won't rub it in because a lot of us have been there. ;)
"I'll definitely stop at four.............okay five is plenty.............wow that's bitchin',six is max..........Oh man, koa............seven is tops........" :D

GaryMcT
07-22-2005, 01:40 AM
Hi Gary,

Congratulations on your stellar Atom by the way.

I spoke with the real Roy for you about your picture request. Perhaps you should call him. He wanted me to ask you, “Do you want the big picture of Jesse’s bag head as well?” He says with more pixels it is a very good looking bag—with the “A-logo” and all. I think it is what a lot of guitar players will be wearing this season.

Maybe

Can I call in my registration too so that I get my cool Anderson strap asap? :)

GaryMcT
07-22-2005, 01:41 AM
Hey Tom, since the Atom is taylored pretty heavily for what you want in a guitar, I'm curious what sorts of tones you use when you play? Any artists that you are fairly similar too?

Gary

Roy (maybe)
07-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi Gary,

I think Rachel could accommodate your need for an Anderson strap to accompany your beautiful Atom. Give her a call today.

Since Tom might not say so, as far as Tom’s playing style and sound go, Tom sounds like Tom—very smooth and very tasty—but like Tom. Many high-visibility guitar players who have stopped by over the years have commented to me how good they think Tom plays. He can never tell you this himself, so I thought I would spill the beans. Please don’t tell him I told you.

Thanks

tom
07-22-2005, 09:35 AM
these days i am more of a chameleon than my own sound. i have to do cleanish stuff all the way to way over the top power chords, hence my ridiculous pedalboard. my roots are in the pre strat clapton, townsend, beck(not beck), jeff baxter, etc. so there's lots of strat and les paul tones in my past. i grew up playing les pauls and teles, never could make a strat work. i started with gasback in the early 70's, i had 5 or 6 les pauls at one time, look what it turned into! watch out or the same could happen to you.

GaryMcT
07-24-2005, 06:50 PM
That trans-blackburst finish is one I've jonesd on for a long time. I really wanted to pull the trigger on pluto's Cobra S that had that finish. That guitar also had some other features that I thought were stellar. Alas, it didn't happen. Sometimes things just go that way, I suppose. :(

I'd also still consider a koa DT or HDT. But Dave K also mentioned that Bora Bora we saw at Gelb. Considering how it looks, and the weather that was there, it sure does look good enough to dive into. :D

Is this the bora bora that you saw there?

http://www.gelbmusic.com/showcase/sc_guitar_jan05.htm

Dave K
07-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Is this the bora bora that you saw there?

http://www.gelbmusic.com/showcase/sc_guitar_jan05.htm

Nope. I think it was a hollow T in Deep Bora Bora.
The color was more like this one,but a little lighter.
http://www.andersonguitars.com/images/guitarImages/08,01,2002_02-55-56.jpg

GaryMcT
07-27-2005, 07:22 PM

Wow, I hope the bora bora bit on mine turns out that bright.

Roy (maybe)
07-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi Gary,

That picture of Tom's feet is Deep Bora Bora Blue and it is well lit for the photo. You will have the gorgeous Bora to Transparent Blue Burst finish on your guitar and when it is presented under reasonable light it will “pop” as well.

Happy Playing

Dave M.
07-29-2005, 12:05 AM

Gary, I think Dave K is right. Hollow T, IIRC. And I seem to recall the hue being a just a wee bit more blue-ish than the Special in the above pic. Still, it was a very deep optical transfixing color and grain pattern. Yes, you want to dive right in. :)

Hey, I said "blue-ish". Could it be more "blue-ish-ier" or "blue-ish-ere"? ;)

These color names are fun!! :D

Suriel Zayas
07-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi Gary,

That picture of Tom's feet
that's not just tom's feet, he's sporting converse low-top chuck taylor's....circa 197??????

tom
07-29-2005, 12:15 PM
yes they are chuck t's. i wore them exclusively from about '77-02, didn't own anything else. i have recently graduated into more modern shoes, even had to buy some dress shoes to go to a wedding last year. man that was hard.

GaryMcT
07-29-2005, 08:35 PM
I like a burst with a dark color around the edge. Desert Sunset,Burnished Orange Burst,Dark Cherry Burst are what I've seen so far that I really like.
An H1- in the neck and an H2 or H2+ in the bridge.
Have any been shipped with jumbo SS wire?

Thanks for your time,Tom. ;)

Any luck finding an Atom?

Dave K
07-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Any luck finding an Atom?

Nope.

(words added to lengthen message)