PDA

View Full Version : Strap Lock Advice

gregmass
06-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Does anyone have an opinion on which is better, Schaller or Dunlop or maybe another brand I am unaware of. I want to get strap locks installed on my Cobra S before it is shipped. I have heard that the Dunlops strip easier, is that true? Thanks.

ryman150
06-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Personally I love and use the Schaller. The way they click in and lock is just awesome. I think the knobs that screw onto the guitar look cooler as well vs. the Dunlops. I can't say much abou the Dunlops since I haven't really owned any. I've played a guitar with them. To me, it seems like it would be easier for me to not completely lock the guitar on with the Dunlops and then I see the guitar falling to the ground. Probably wouldn't happen though.

Just my 2 cents...:)

tom
06-24-2005, 12:35 PM
i have heard the schallers make a squeaky noise with high gain settings.

Yngve
06-24-2005, 12:42 PM
i have heard the schallers make a squeaky noise with high gain settings.

Yes mine does with hi-gain settings. I have schaller strap locks on my Am dlx tele, and they make some squeaky noise a low gain settings as well when the strap locks get a little worn.

I have not tried the Dunlops, can't say anything about those. I don't use strap locks on my other guitars because of this.

tom
06-24-2005, 03:04 PM
the squeak might be easy to get rid of with a little lube. you might want to use the dry lock lube to avoid grease spots on clothing.

sylvanshine
06-24-2005, 03:06 PM
First thing I do when I get a new Anderson- Schaller chrome strap locks. The Dunlops I tried stuck out too far from the body of the guitar.

Never heard a squeak at high gain (and I use Bogners). Have heard a scream, but that wasn't from the strap locks, it was two bars into "Jessie's Girl".

LonestarGtr
06-24-2005, 11:53 PM
+1 on the dunlops sticking out too far. I've used the schallers for over 10 years and there is some squeak if you move around too much... so I don't move anymore... at all... I just stand there and play... I don't even look up if I don't have to... j/k Anyway, my vote is for schallers.

Mike

killerburst
06-25-2005, 08:01 AM
I've actually worn out the Schallers (after a few years of nightly gigs), leaving zinc residue all along the way. There's a lot of friction on the Shallers and they're cast zinc (soft). Plus, I was constantly retightening the nut on the strap portion of the lock. The Dunlops are machined and seemed to hold up better and use an E clip rather than a threaded nut to stay attached to the strap. Dunlop has 4 different button sizes if the size or shape of the standard one bothers you.

guitarzan
06-25-2005, 10:13 AM
wait- you guys are using STRAPS to hold the guitar?!? I've just been cradling it in my hands. Of course, the solos, and the intros... and the rhythm parts... are a little empty- but they can clearly see that I'm holding my guitar.

hmmm. straps.

genius.

BrownDog
06-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Neither. For years I've been using these "bad boys."

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Strap_buttons/Lokstrap_System.html

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike

Stys
06-25-2005, 10:56 AM
I use the same locks as browndog and have never experienced a problem. Easy on, easy off. Simple and effective not to mention inexpensive.

tom
06-25-2005, 12:49 PM
that's the one i was refering to in a different thread. good to know they work well.

andersonguy
06-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Which one sounds better? ;)

tom
06-25-2005, 01:20 PM
i bet the rubber ones don't squeak ;)

GaryMcT
06-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Awesome. Lokstrap it is for me!

JGraham
07-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Dunlop on all mine for the past 10 years.

A friend just pointed out that he used to use Schallers, but noticed after a year or two that his guitars were all banged up around the strap button. He switched to Dunlops.