PDA

View Full Version : Bad Cat vs. new Matchless

Yngve
06-23-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm now going to invest in either a Black Cat 30R or a Matchless DC-30 2x12 combo. Because of almost zero availability and high pricing here in Norway, I've decided to buy from a US. dealer. I've contacted some dealers in the US and I get some very contradicting answers. There are some issues that are unclear for me and I hope someone "neutral" can help me :)

I've asked the dealers if the new Matchless DC-30 sounds as good as the old ones before they went bankrupt, and I've asked them which one of the Black Cat and the DC-30 sounds best:

The dealers who sell Bad Cat only says Black Cat is the best, and says that Matchless don't sound the same as they used to.

The dealers who sell Matchless only says Matchless amps are better now than ever and the production line is more consistent, meaning that all the new onces sound good but the old ones may vary. They also says the Black Cat sounds too dark, and not as sparkling as DC-30.

Dealers who sell both Bad Cat and Matchless says both are good, and that there are little difference between the new DC-30 and the Black Cat.

I understand that the dealers would like to sell me an amp of "their" brand. I haven't played the new DC-30 or the Black Cat yet so I can't compare those. I hope for some "un-biased" opinions and would like some input from you guys.

BTW, I play mostly country / rock through my HTC and HDTC. All response would be much appreciated :)

Yngve
06-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Well, I ended up with a 2004 Matchless DC-30 I got new here in Norway. I absolutely love this amp, although it needs a good attenuator. A new Hot Plate is on the way in mail so I'll try it out.

leecow
06-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Congrats! A Hotplate is exactly what my Badcat 30 combo needed to push it into the sweet spot.

Yngve
06-27-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm really amazed how the Andersons come much more alive with this amp. My Hollow T Classic with TV1 and TV3 sounded a little bit dull compared to the Seymour Duncan 5-2 pickups on other amps. Now the TV1 and TV3 sound excellent on the DC-30, much better than the Duncans. So I think the DC-30 and TV1-TV3 on a HTC is a killer combination (for that twangy stuff)! The HDTC (SA1/-R, H2+) we have also suddenly sounded much more responsive than on my other amps. It sounded more "vintage" on the DC-30 than on our Vox AC-30 TB Vintage. Go figure :cool: