PDA

View Full Version : SO1 pickups?

Dave M.
06-05-2005, 12:40 PM
What are SO1 pickups? I guess what I'm asking about is how they differ from SA1 and SD1 models, and their sonic qualities in an alder Classic.

thx! :)

Dave K
06-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Perhaps you've asked about something that should never be spoken of again? ;)

tom
06-06-2005, 02:18 PM
ok, ok. SO's were something we made in very limited numbers. they are a stack with alnico pole pieces. they have a bit less output than SD's, and were an attempt to make a more "vintage" sounding stack. we used up the magnet material we had and no longer make them.

Dave K
06-06-2005, 03:08 PM
That's too bad,cuz I wanted some So So pickups. ;)
Tom ,do you guys ever get confused with the pickup nomenclature?
With six TAGs I can't remember the names of the models in them.When asked about them I just nod my head and agree or make something up. :p

tom
06-06-2005, 03:35 PM
you mean there really is a difference between the models?
i don't think i get confused about the pickups. i get confused about lots of other things, but not pickups. but then again, my last 6 guitars have all had the same pickups in them ;)

Casper
06-07-2005, 06:01 AM
On my new Hollow Cobra S (btw, hows that coming?), I have chosen M1-M1-H2+...If I had ordered an M3 instead for the bridge, what are the silmilarities if any? I always thought the M3 was very near hum status?Or is it just a super hot single coil...I wanted a fat lead for the bridge..I hope I chose correctly as far as a match?
Shaun

tom
06-07-2005, 11:04 AM
the m3 is as loud as many humbuckers, and it is fat and smooth, but it has a compactness( no pun intended) that is different than a full size humbucker. i would say that if you were a single coil guy by nature, the m3 would be as fat as you ever felt you needed. being a humbucker(lazy) guy, i still like the full size humbucker in the bridge position. someday maybe i'll grow up but for now fattness rules.

Dave K
06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
My favorite is a custom set that's a GO in the bridge,an HO in the middle,and an ME in the neck. I think there's a message there,uh? ;)
Better than the ID/IO/T combo for sure. :D

fractal
06-08-2005, 11:39 AM
My favorite is a custom set that's a GO in the bridge,an HO in the middle,and an ME in the neck. I think there's a message there,uh? ;)
Better than the ID/IO/T combo for sure. :D

I have that combination on a doubleneck! :D :D

-Garrett

Dave K
06-09-2005, 12:55 PM
My current favorite is a vintage S in the neck,a modified VI in the middle,and a new humbucker called the EL in the bridge.
Yep, it's the new EL/VI/S config. Big,fat,chunky peanut butter and banana tone. :D

Dave M.
06-10-2005, 10:55 PM
My current favorite is a vintage S in the neck,a modified VI in the middle,and a new humbucker called the EL in the bridge.
Yep, it's the new EL/VI/S config. Big,fat,chunky peanut butter and banana tone. :D

Wow, that's what that was all about. When I saw you playing it last week I thought it was a new eastern European SIVLE package, or something. :p

Dave K
06-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Wow, that's what that was all about. When I saw you playing it last week I thought it was a new eastern European SIVLE package, or something. :p

Only if you drive on the wrong side of the road or play left handed. ;)
I'm waiting for the new signature set for that famous guitar player Valentino Rossi, the W/L/F combo. :eek: :D