PDA

View Full Version : tonewood/pickups

morty
06-03-2005, 03:57 AM
I have for the last weeks made a big interest for the M-series pickups! unfortunately I have not the chance to try them out, because it`s not many of the Andersons here in Norway..

1. I wonder if the M-series lean more twoards the P90. Is the Mseries a step up from the SD-pickups and have more singelcoil sound, a fulleer type of sound? does it sound warmer and cover more sonic freqences? If so, I would like to have M1-M1-H2+ on my next Anderson.

2. What switch option can I get with M1-M1-H2+? Is it only the 5way with split/blower on the H? What I like with my switcheroo, is that I can switch off the middele pickup, and use the neck and bridge, to get that "Les Paul" vibe when roling of the tone.. could it be possible?

3. When it comes to bodywood I think I am a traditional Adler guy! I love the looks on my flamed maple top..

What is the sonic differences with maple/Basswood and maple/adler? Do I just have do go for a guitar with only adler without the maple top? I want a more traditional sound when playing clean. On my DT with maple/basswood I feel that the 3 bass strings is a bit to dull, and have to little twang and bite. They are great the first gig with new strings, but they become much faster dull and loses the bite and warm sound, than my Fender with only adler..

I love the playability of my Anderson, and most of all the BF-tuning and when switching between the Fender and the Anderson I notice the big difference!!

So most of the time I only use my Anderson. Only when I need to to the classical Strat sound I use my Fender! But If I could get the sound characteristics form my Fender in to an Anderson it would for me be the perfect guitar!.. until I want a new one! ;-)

morty
06-08-2005, 04:07 AM
Does noone have any toughts or answers?

funalij
06-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Hi Morty:

IMO, if you are looking for a "classic strat sound", the closest is an alder body (without top mapple) and VA1, VA1R, VA2 pu. That's a TA classic.

I guess top mapple gives a "modern" sound/tone to the guitar (but maybe you like it more).

Javier

Roy (maybe)
06-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi Morty,

Speaking as a VA loaded, Alder Classic fanatic, I have found great satisfaction in the sonic characteristics bestowed by an Alder-backed Drop Top Classic and Hollow Drop Top Classic with M-Series pickups aboard. I am convinced that this is the way to create a “Super-Strat,” have a maple top and still be able to get all the subtle, percussive bloom and single coil sparkle that is important to a vintage-based sound. It just seems that Ms and Maple Tops really were made for each other. The final result is giant single coil sounds that have the right character. I could gig all night with this style Drop Top Classic and not feel anything was lacking. Lay Down Sally, Eric Clapton tones to full-out Jimi are all on tap with a guitar setup this way.

The 5-Way with Add-Bridge Push/Pull and Bridge Splitter toggle will deliver 11 different pickup combinations and allow you to run your requested neck + bridge combination.

Alder has a bump in the upper mids and lower mids, which supports single coil fullness while basswood is more even in its frequency response and feels as though EQ has been set flat—a bit more soft mid, mid.

Have Fun!

morty
06-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Thank you Roy! It was just as i tought, and maby I could keep the beatiful flamed maple top as well! it would be nice to try a DTC with M1-M1-H2+
I realy liked that I still can use my "Les Paul" like setting on this combination too!

I don`t think this combination is on a guitar in Norway!

Does anyone on this forum have this combination on a Classic or a Drop Top Classic with adler back?

oscar100
06-17-2005, 02:20 AM
Thank you Roy! It was just as i tought, and maby I could keep the beatiful flamed maple top as well! it would be nice to try a DTC with M1-M1-H2+
I realy liked that I still can use my "Les Paul" like setting on this combination too!

I don`t think this combination is on a guitar in Norway!

Does anyone on this forum have this combination on a Classic or a Drop Top Classic with adler back?

id go for an m2 or m3 in the bridge - ive had both and they sound amazing like a full h2 but with more focus and less flab - they also split really well...do it ...you wont regret it - the M2 is andersons best pickup IMHO