PDA

View Full Version : still tension rod adjusting

tom
12-14-2003, 11:28 PM
i started a new thread on this because i have been thinking about our options. has anyone had any problem adjusting maple necks? the nut is higher in the neck.

Casper
12-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Tom,
So funny you should post that thread. I posted last week that my Droptop with the maple neck bowed in causing spaghetti action.
I adjusted the neck with the screwdriver about 1/4 turn and it flattened out somewhat. Well, I noticed the action had creeped back up this weekend and the neck is back where it was.
I figured this maybe due to the fact that I leave both guitars on stands in my studio (bedroom ) upstairs. We keep the upstairs on about 68-70 degrees and this time of the year and run a gas fireplace down stairs...which tends to dry out the air. Is my problem temperature or humidity? Or both?
My classic (rosewood neck) seems unaffected through all of this. I had both guitars in for the 3 month check up a few weeks ago and both were perfect. Your thoughts? I was considering taking the neck off this time and letting it sit awhile before I restring..
Lastly, should there be a natural bow in the neck. I like my action low or factory close and my tech pretty much tells me that the neck is straight as a board when he sets me up....?
Shaun

tom
12-15-2003, 12:20 PM
your temperature is not a problem. your low humidity probably is. heating almost always dries the air. you are likely below 40%, and maybe way below. guitars will front bow when they dry out. i do not recomend leaving guitars out in the room in dry weather. the finish will allow the water in the wood(about 6%) to escape. the guitar is better protected from moisture loss in the case. if you want to leave them out, the room will need to be humidified. the taylor website has some good info about humidity. there is an article under the tech stuff on our site that talks about neck adjustment. there is a range of how straight people can have their necks be. sounds like you are on the straighter side. i do not recommend taking the neck off. the untensioning and retensioning just confuses the neck.

Casper
12-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Funny, as much as I'm on the site, I've never really read that part!
I will try those suggestions out tonite, before I restring. Good tip about the humidity, I will make that adjustment as well. Again, its funny that my classic doesn't seem to have any problems? The business card template works for me, translates it more to laymans terms...(I'm horrible at reading tape measures!
Thanks Tom--

SteveK
12-15-2003, 06:35 PM
Tom,
DIDN'T mean to start a problem with my question. I just felt that the ease of adjustment from the headstock should be de riguer . It is SO much easier. Your guitars are so impeccable, and beautifully done that I really would like to buy more models but I will not buy ANY guitar that has the neck adjustment at the body.(gotta admit that Ernie Ball does a good job with their access there) Just me rambling on my own.....
BTW, I liked my Hollow Cobra S with the mahogany neck so much that I picked up the FIRST hollow Cobra with a rosewood neck this week. Will be ordering my Crowdster pretty soon! See you at NAMM!

tom
12-15-2003, 07:00 PM
this is not a problem. we're always looking for ways to make our guitars better. the maple neck adjusting nut is so high in the neck that i can't imagine anyone not being able to get to it, even with the neck pickup adjusted high. drop by the booth at namm and we'll adjust some necks together.

John Price
12-15-2003, 07:15 PM
I found this tool from Sears that comes with most of the tool packages these day's and it has a right angled phillips side and a right angled flat side, now the phillips side is too big but the flat side fits in just enough to make the adjustment without touching the guitar!

happy neck adjusting!!:D