PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the Lone Star Special?

crash
05-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Over the last couple of weekends, I spent about an hour of quality time with the new Mesa Lone Star Special. It's a class A EL84 2-channel amp, and each channel is independently switchable between 5, 15 and 30 watts (1, 2 or 4 EL84s). The B channel can mirror the A channel or can be set for more gain.

Both channels were very good, but the 'A' channel at 5 watts when pushed was just amazing. It's a Mesa like no other (and I think I said that about the 'standard' Lone Star when it came out...)

Had I not just recently shot this year's gear budget on a master class Breedlove C25, I'd probably have walked out with it.

Anyway, is anyone using one out there? I'd love to hear 'real world' usage pros and cons.

tom
05-31-2005, 05:09 PM
i've been using the head for the past month or so, mostly all channel1 on the 5 watt setting. i tried the 15 setting a few times but have not really experimented with the other channel. it does seem quite nice and the vloume is very managable for low volume gigs. the 15 watt setting was fine for keeping up with drums at an outdoor gig i did a few weks ago. i've been running it into my standard bogner cube. i did try a cannibus rex speaker in it last week, and it was also nice. a softer top end than the v30. this weekend i played a prototype hammerhead II head and a new carr 1x12 cab. it was way different, but instantly friendly. i used an attenuator with the hh, and it was very lively, more than any other low power amp i've tried. so many choices.

HiG
06-01-2005, 11:18 AM
What is the retail on those Lone Star Special heads, Tom? I find myself going back to EL84 amps again and again. I'm currently using a Rectoverb, which while pretty versatile, doesn't have the chime of an EL84 type. I used to have a Maverick, which I liked very much, but like a moron succumbed to GAS and sold it. Is that Bogner cube an open or closed back cab?

tom
06-01-2005, 01:05 PM
i don't know the price of the head, but it should be redily available. the bogner is a ported 1x12, the carr is sealed. with the same speaker in both, the bogner had a bit more low lows and high highs. the carr has a bit more presence in the middle. i can make either work. i used the carr fr the first time this weekend and it cut real nice.

John C
06-01-2005, 01:41 PM
What is the retail on those Lone Star Special heads?

There is a scan of the current Mesa/Boogie price sheet posted here on the Mesa/Boogie Forum:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=250

I would just tell you the price since M/B sells at list, but the scans are posted in Photobucket which is now blocked at this location; all I have are nice boxes with red Xs in them.

tom
06-01-2005, 03:02 PM
i see $1499. i got the short chassis size just because i want it as small and light as possible. it is still the heaviest of the 3 heads i use.

tom
06-01-2005, 03:03 PM
if you were liking the mav, you could probably pick one up used pretty cheap.

tom
06-01-2005, 03:06 PM
i'm seeing 7-800 on ebay for a combo.

Suriel Zayas
06-01-2005, 05:17 PM
i'm waiting for mine to take on tour.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/surielz/HammerheadMKII0081.jpg

tom
06-01-2005, 06:34 PM
are you getting the cab or just the head? i think you'll love it, it is way different than the rambler, but good different.

Suriel Zayas
06-01-2005, 06:51 PM
i'm just getting the head and running it through the bogner cube. there will be no amps or cabs on stage, everything will be in iso booths backstage. however, i'm looking forward to pair it up with steve's pine cab. that must be sweet. btw, the rambler is also making this trip.

tom
06-01-2005, 07:17 PM
cool. so will you be able to wind up the volume on the hh? i guess we've hijacked this thread into the hammerhead II thread. sorry guys.

Suriel Zayas
06-01-2005, 07:33 PM
but the rambler is staying at the half power setting. sweeter and warmer at that setting. sorry about the hijack. we prmoise it will never happen again. :rolleyes:

crash
06-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Are you kidding? With this group, half the fun is throwing out a question and seeing where it goes.

The hijack will easily be forgiven if you post a signal path diagram of your touring rig, Suriel. (Heck, it'll be forgiven even if you don't).

Suriel Zayas
06-02-2005, 12:25 PM
The hijack will easily be forgiven if you post a signal path diagram of your touring rig, Suriel. (Heck, it'll be forgiven even if you don't).
crash, you have a deal! i'll give it my best shot.

i use a pedal-racks custom board by tom peck (www.pedalboards.com) just a great guy. bypass strip for all effects, which gives me some type of automation.

tags->rc booster->barber tone press->tc electronics chorus/flanger->rastop envelope filter->zen drive-> zen drive 2 w/mullard 12ax7->mosferatu->wah->boss dd20 delay w/tap tempo->ernie ball volume pedal jr->amps

the pedalboard has an amp switching system.

amps: carr rambler on half power setting, carr hammerhead mk2 w/bogner cuber (1x12 ported w/closed back, loaded w/v30) & backup rig: rivera tbr-1m into marshall 1960a loaded w/v30's. no amps or cabs on stage. everything kept in iso booth backstage and run hot & loud.

now i'm forgiven. :cool:

JoeB63
06-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Suriel,

Who do you play with/for?

Details on the tour?