PDA

View Full Version : Cool Player Alert

Casper
05-24-2005, 05:20 AM
Anybody here know anything abot Drew Zing? Can't find out much about him on the web. He tours with Boz Scaggs and Steely Dan. What a monster! I just got the live Boz Scaggs record and he does and absolutely SMOKING solo on "Loan me a Dime", I would like to hear some of his other stuff (and steal some of his chops :D
Love to know what he plays and what his rig consists of?
Anyone?...Bueller?

Shaun

Wbb
05-24-2005, 05:54 PM
My favorite players tend to be ones you've never heard of, and Drew Zingg is on my list. You're right, it's hard to find much on him online. Most pics I've found show him playing a Tele in and around NYC. I've read he's sometimes referred to as little Larry or something along those lines...because of his uncanny ability to sound like Larry Carlton when playing with SD.

Casper
05-25-2005, 05:47 AM
I read he uses a Strat and fulltone pedals (at least with Boz). Just tasty licks, once in a while he will play something out of context or ridiculous, but always seems to thread his way back into a monster solo..
He was different on Steely Dan's stuff, but still cool. Once in a while, a great unknown comes along.......
I guess I always wanted the same for myself, not fame or notoriety, just to be a player with respectable taste and chops that a band could always count on for reliability..I'm sure many here feel the same...just to be a killer sideman.
Shaun

bud
05-26-2005, 09:05 AM
When I saw him with Steely Dan it was a 335 and two Matchless 2X12 combos. He absolutely ripped. If you don't have it, you should check out "The New York Rock n Soul Review Live at the Beacon" (not 100% sure on the title) It was Donald Fagen's project that lead to the reunion of Steely Dan. Drew is all over that (along with Boz, Michael McDonald, Phoebe Snow and others).

Glen

Casper
05-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info Glen!! I gotta get more of his stuff, I am stealing his licks as we speak :D
Shaun