PDA

View Full Version : WOOD for Anderson Guitars :D

michaelomiya
12-12-2003, 12:21 PM
At the risk of getting too personal, where does Tom and Co. source the wood that goes into these wonderful instruments?

Do they run down to their local hardware store? (not likely)

Grow in the back of their business park, and then harvest, cut and dry on-site? (not likely - probably prohibited by the lessor)

Pick up the phone and ask Höggvari and Ragnviðr to pull the best planks from their northern inventory? (mmm....not likely, as distribution could be a problem)

Is there a certain region of the country that grows the best swamp ash (Louisiana?) or the most resonant alder?

What about humidity and weather - do these elements play a role in the consistency and quality of the woods selected to create Tom Anderson Guitars?

Is wood selection analogous to the grape/wine process? How about ice cream or automobiles (wha?)

BrianH
12-14-2003, 09:19 PM
I know, but I just can't tell ya.

michaelomiya
12-15-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by BrianH
I know, but I just can't tell ya.

Brian, the Classic and DT T's look phenomenal. Hey, didn't know that you possessed a DT Classic (RW neck) in the arsenal. What about pix of the Two Rock Opal?

BTW, is QFAD confirmed for the NAMM show? I'm "jonezin" to hear you make an Andy squeal like a like Brian May!!

BrianH
12-15-2003, 11:11 AM
I'll dig out some rig shot's. For QFAD I use 2 Opal's on 2 Vox Ac-30's that are just 2x12 cab's. I pan the delay between them, and I dig up some Queen tone. As for Namm, it's looking good.

And the Hollow Drop Top, that's one that I stumbled across and the deal was toooo good. The rest of them are tools for the gigs, the HDT is the only candy.

tom
12-15-2003, 04:16 PM
the wood's from all over the place. i've been involved in buying guitar wood since 1977, so i've found people and places over the years that know what i like. different places for different woods. out of all the stuff we use, i think only two come from the same guy.

BrianH
12-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Somebody better check Alan Gilbert's closet.

tom
12-15-2003, 04:23 PM
shhhh. i did get a couple pieces from there.

michaelomiya
12-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by tom
the wood's from all over the place. i've been involved in buying guitar wood since 1977, so i've found people and places over the years that know what i like. different places for different woods. out of all the stuff we use, i think only two come from the same guy.

Thank you tom ('been wondering 'bout this for a while). And from I can see, Alan Gilbert's got quite a selection of quilted maple!

BrianH
12-15-2003, 08:27 PM
I'll never hear the end of it if this gets out.

michaelomiya
12-16-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by BrianH
I'll never hear the end of it if this gets out.

psst....hey Brian, your secret's safe w/ me ;P

DropTop7
12-29-2003, 06:33 PM
Back to wood question LMII http://www.lmii.com/ says they sell to Tom Anderson Guitar Works but there not the only ones

tom
12-29-2003, 10:06 PM
we buy most of our fingerboards from lmi. they have been very consistant in both delivery and quality.

michaelomiya
12-29-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by DropTop7
Back to wood question LMII http://www.lmii.com/ says they sell to Tom Anderson Guitar Works but there not the only ones

thanks for the info DT7!