PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the new Star amps?

Yngve
05-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Has anyone tried Sampsons newest amps (Gain Star or Sirrius Reverb) and could share some thoughts about how they sound?

I like Matchless DC-30, but those are almost impossible to get here in Norway...

I have a HTC (and a Fender Tele Am Deluxe with Duncan Nashville Studio pickups) and I play mostly country. Always looking for more twang, hehe :)

guitarzan
06-03-2005, 03:16 PM
There are a bunch of Clubman 35 heads on ebay (USA) right now. For $1300 or so you could have one (If you're a Matchless fan).

Yngve
06-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the tip! :)

Not sure how they can be converted to 240 V like we have here in Norway. Maybe there a swich on the back or something...

guitarzan
06-03-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm sure you could send a quick email to the guys at Matchless and see if there's a conversion option. I don't know how much it would cost, but it's worth checking out...

flwehr
06-05-2005, 09:26 AM
I live in Cairo Egypt, and have had several 110 v amps (Fender, Marshalls, and other) converted to 220 by a local electronic tech. It is a very quick, inexpensive operation. Have had no problems with the amps on local power (except when it goes out).

Based on experience here I sure wouldn't let 110/220 v drive a major amp purchase.

Good luck,
Fred

billyguitar
07-04-2005, 01:06 PM
At a Dallas vintage guitar show I played the new Star amps and talked to Sampson about them. I may be wrong but I feel these amps are supposed to sound more Fendery than Voxy (like his earlier Matchless and Bad Cat designs). They sounded very good. They are also cathode bias so you get the bloom and soft compression of cathode bias. The Gain Star is capable of high gain like a Bad Cat Hot Cat. I'm not into gain amps so while I thought it sounded fine for that sound I didn't really spend any time with that aspect.
The Star amps are very good. At this price point there are many to pick from so it can be a hard choice to make. My personal fave, the Dr. Z Maz 38 sr is a lot less money but not channel switchable.