PDA

View Full Version : Xotic - BB Preamp

gregmass
05-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Does anyone have one of these? I am curious what people think and what they use it for. I am thinking about getting one and just thought I would see what others thought first. I love the RC Boost and from what I have read so far people seem to really like this one as well.

MapleGuitar
05-06-2005, 04:49 PM
I just got it... played with it for about an hour. Initial impression: it's very similar to the Barber Burn Unit (channel 2), with a sizeable mid hump. Unfortunately, mine arrived with a broken switch (so it's stuck "on") and I'll be sending it back Monday.

dannopelli
05-10-2005, 11:37 PM
I just got it... played with it for about an hour. Initial impression: it's very similar to the Barber Burn Unit (channel 2), with a sizeable mid hump. Unfortunately, mine arrived with a broken switch (so it's stuck "on") and I'll be sending it back Monday.

What is it with xotic and their switches! I am waiting for my BB to side by side it with my OCD and decide which to keep. My RC had a bad swtich. Hope the BB, IF IT EVER ARRIVES. is issue free!

gregmass
05-11-2005, 08:25 AM
What do you think of the OCD? Have you ever compared it to a Full Drive 2? Just curious what the differences are.

Suriel Zayas
05-11-2005, 09:15 AM
my rc also had a bad switch.

gregmass
05-11-2005, 10:33 AM
I guess I got lucky, my RC was fine.

olectric
05-11-2005, 11:40 AM
My rc booster ALSO had a bad switch--made a really loud POP when turned on or off. I sent it back, they fixed it for free, and it came back a week later. It still has a very slight pop at first. I can get rid of it by stomping on it several times in a row. I think it may be static?

Wbb
05-15-2005, 07:05 PM
What is it with xotic and their switches! I am waiting for my BB to side by side it with my OCD and decide which to keep. My RC had a bad swtich. Hope the BB, IF IT EVER ARRIVES. is issue free!
My RC switch went out right in the middle of a huge FDP jam yesterday. The button went flat and refused to surface...frustrating, given it's a $179.00 pedal. Hopefully the dealer will switch it out for one that works better. It's one of the "popping" ones too. Great pedal otherwise.

John Price
05-16-2005, 02:25 PM
My AC just stopped working! I was getting no signal at all...Sent it back for repair! Sold it!..... :D The Fulldrive 2 was what I was looking for!.....

dannopelli
05-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Well I now have a Red FD2, an OCD, a BB and a DP1. I also have an RC Boost.

The RC is basically a clean boost. Plus we have discussed that at length on other forums. My RC has been fine since I got mine replaced.

The OCD is very much like a FD2, without the Boost engaged in the Comp Cut setting. A touch more transparent and more natural sounding. Actually I think it would make a nice clean to slightly snarly boost. I am very impressed with it. If you usee it for distorion or overdrive however, note that unity gain for even just a crunch setting is about 9:00. So there is very little sweep in the volume control, offering little nuance. i do not care for that, and it is prevalent in many Fulltone Pedals. Keeping the FD 2 in the board for now.

Have never used a Burn Unit.

The BB is a lot like the Distortion Pro, but it seems to retain a touch more attack. However I have only used it a bit. I have temporarily removed the Ultimate Octave from my board to A/B the DP1 with the BB in real world settings. I am not sure yet which will win. But I am leaning towards the DP1. The BB seems a bit snarly. But like I said I have only had it a few days.

Overall I think the Fulltone stuff is a bit better constructed. At least the switches are sturdier. I do think the RC is far better than the Fat Boost. But the FD2 or OCD IMHO are better sounding than the AC. And like I said, for me the jury is still out on the BB vs DP1.

Wbb
05-18-2005, 10:14 AM
My RC switch went out right in the middle of a huge FDP jam yesterday. The button went flat and refused to surface...frustrating, given it's a $179.00 pedal. Hopefully the dealer will switch it out for one that works better. It's one of the "popping" ones too. Great pedal otherwise.
I just emailed Toshio at Xotic and he is sending me a new RC, and I'm giving the defective one back to Richmond Music. Props to Prosound Communications for taking care of this issue quickly and professionally :D

leecow
05-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Y'all are making me nervous with the broken switch stories. I've recently added an RC and AC to the board and *love* the tones. Would be a shame if they prove to be fragile.

dannopelli
05-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Y'all are making me nervous with the broken switch stories. I've recently added an RC and AC to the board and *love* the tones. Would be a shame if they prove to be fragile.

Well i gigged with mine last week for the first time. I use the RC quite a bit as a kind of solo or clean boost. No issues.

MapleGuitar
05-19-2005, 08:15 AM
AnalogMike talks about the particular switch Xotic is using. He uses it in his standard stereo clone chorus pedal...

We use a rare and expensive 4PDT switch for stereo true bypass. It is a little wimpy looking but works and sounds great. It is the same type switch that was used on the Way Huge and early Fulltone pedals and new Xotic pedals. It is also used on the new Maxon AD-999, the second pedal I have seen with stereo true bypass. This switch will not stand up to jumping on it with your full weight, but it is probably a lot more reliable than the black Carling switches used in most pedals. But if you are a heavy chorus user and will switch the pedal on and off a lot, I recommend getting our MONO chorus or the RELAY stereo option instead so you won't break the delicate switch. Due to the fragile stereo switch, we can't guarantee against switch breakage, repairs will be $20 plus S & H.In this case, it sounds like Mike uses the wimpy switch because his chorus pedal is stereo. Whereas on all his mono pedals, he uses a heavy-duty true-bypass switch. Not sure why Xotic is using the more fragile switch in mono effects like the RC Booster. Could be space issues -- the inside of their pedals is crammed.

See http://www.analogman.com/clone.htm