PDA

View Full Version : Tomo Fujita at Tone Merchants in Orange

michaelomiya
05-03-2005, 11:11 PM
OK, I admit that I was absolutely pumped up after NAMM this year (Atom debut, seeing Roy w/ the Bugs B tie, etc.). But I was also really impressed by an East Coast, Berklee professor named Tomo Fujita. He was the stunt guitar player for Eminience and Prosound Communications. Man can he BURRRN.

Anyway, for all of you West Coast folks, Tomo will be playing at Tone Merchants in Orange on Saturday, June 4th, 8PM. Come by and say hi, be prepared to be blown away, and bring your Andys and show 'em to Tomo (he's really interested in Tom's designs)

Tomo Eminence Spkrs (http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/redcoat/tonkersoundclip.htm)

Tomo CD (http://www.tomofujita.com/us/cd.html)

Anderson Forum Tomo post (http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?t=1677&highlight)

dkaplowitz
05-04-2005, 07:05 AM
Tomo's a great guy. I've been fortunate enough to help him out with converting some of his live gig tapes to mp3/CD and he's been incredibly nice to work with. As verbose a person as I am I don't have enough words to describe what a great, generous guy he is. And he's a terrific player to boot.

Here's (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76232&highlight=tomo) a thread over on TGP where I've posted some of his Clay Jones OD clips. It gives a pretty good idea of his playing as well.

I'm sure the clinic will be a lot of fun. Another great thing about Tomo is his simple approach to guitar playing. He really stresses the rudiments and always puts feel and musicality before anything technical. I think anyone who goes, regardless of skill level, would benefit from it.

Ian Hurtt
05-17-2005, 11:19 PM
I agree, I've spent a bunch of time corresponding with Tomo and he is a kind, gracious soul and a fantastic player. I plan on being at his clinic, and would like to say "hello" and meet any of you guys if you go.

michaelomiya
06-05-2005, 04:16 AM
Just got back from Tomo Fujita's Tone Merchants show in Orange. And I've got to say that tonight's experience ranks right up there w/ hearing "Eruption" for the first time or witnessing USC demolish Oklahoma on national television - completely jaw dropping and abosolutely devastating.

After witnessing such a performance, you come away either 100% inspired to woodshed for the next 10 years, or convinced that you'll never attain such chops, and you and your gear are headed to eBay immediately.

Tomo's playing is complete, in every sense of the word. Astonishingly technical, yet graceful and musical at the same time. After considering all of the great shredders, jazz/fusion masters and other "black belt" guitarists, and then distilling their strengths to the least common denominators, one concludes that Tomo's gifts and talents lay w/ his ability to flat out groove.

And not just laying down a toe-tapping rhythm. No. I mean aggregating all of the elements of swing, funk, reggae, blues and jazz, and baking them into a musical context that a non-musician/non-guitarist could relate to.

Are his chops awe inspiring? Yes. Does he have command over compositional and harmony theory? Of course, he teaches at Berklee.

BUT, what differentiates Tomo from the rest is his command over rhythm, song structure, and phrasing. Even as Tomo's blazing over changes (fast or slow), it's his choice of notes and passages that allow the listener to still feel, hear AND remember the underlying chords.

One guy and a guitar. Performance and clinic. 2.5 hours. THAT's entertainment.

How entertaining? How about "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" w/ Hendrix and SRV phrasing. Or supersonic bass slapping "from hell" mixed w/ maple neck snap and articulation? Or perhaps Tommy Aldrich/Neal Peart double-bass-style passages, courtesy of a Boss Octaver (OC-2) and a DD3? Remember, one man and a guitar. That's it. :eek:

Some words of "wisdom" (and this is paraphrased, since no one can deliver a 'one liner' like Tomo!)

On the subject of improvising and trying to transend what you hear to guitar:
"...no one else can hear what's in your head...'sing' into a tape recorder, really listen to yourself, and chart the notes...."

On the topic of playing fast:
"...what's the point unless it embellishes the song...the key is the song structure and the rhythm..."

On the topic of WAH technique:
"...play one note, and work the pedal down through 5 to 6 levels...."

On the subject of improving your playing:
"...the guitar is a complex instrument, there are so many areas to explore...chose one or two areas for improvement and work those to perfection..."

On the subject of performing:
"...move around, make funny faces, but above all, FEEL the music!"

It goes without saying, I, and everyone else who attended the show, were thoroughly blown away by Tomo's music, his playing and his musical knowledge. However, it was Tomo's communication skills and his ability to relate to his audience, musically, spiritually and verbally, that made this an evening to remember.

If you don't believe me, just ask Ron Thorn, Bill Chapin, BoraBora (hey James!). Better yet, pick up the DVD when it comes out! (tomo hired a professional crew to tape the nights events)

Tomo at Tone Merchant Pix (http://community.webshots.com/album/361563444MFTrEs)

BoraBora
06-06-2005, 12:36 AM
+1 on the Tomo clinic. Mike gave a very good description of the entire experience. Tomo's playing is simply amazing and the clinic was incredibly inspirational.

One of the amazing things about Tomo's playing is his rhythm playing. From jazz comping, to Hendrix inpired double stops, to in the pocket funk and groove, Tomo can do it all. He is truely one of the most well rounded players around.

I highly recommend checking him out the next time he is in your area. :)

guitarzan
06-06-2005, 08:56 AM
thanks for the great (and detailed review). What kind of gear was he using. I see the strat in many of the pix- was he using that Fuchs or the Tone King on the other side (or both?).

I can't wait until Tone Merchants posts video clips...

michaelomiya
06-06-2005, 08:49 PM
thanks for the great (and detailed review). What kind of gear was he using. I see the strat in many of the pix- was he using that Fuchs or the Tone King on the other side (or both?).

I can't wait until Tone Merchants posts video clips...

Actually it was all Fuchs and the Bogner 212 (Tonespotter and Wizard spkrs). His pedal board consisted of 2 Clay Jones OD's, a DD3, OC2, Boss TU12, HAO Rumble Drive and Rust Driver. He had a EH Holier Grail reverb throught the loop, since something in the Accutronics box snapped on shipment. The 212 Tone King was "just" a prop!! (actually he was warming up and playing through it. Personally it wasn't as "chimey" as the 112 Meteor that Ed had a few years ago - the 212 had way more "bloom")

michaelomiya
06-06-2005, 08:50 PM
....and, Tomo just arrived back in Boston. He wanted to say, "thank you" to all of us in Southern California who came out to Tone Merchants. His goal is to be back again w/ a band next time around. (Tomo thought guys like Abe Laboriel (Macca) or Ray Luzier (Hideous Sun Demons) would be awesome additions. YEAH BAY-BEE!:dude) And for all of you "right" coasters, Tomo's looking forward to talking about a clinic in NYC or CT. :D