PDA

View Full Version : can you put a va booster in an existing classic?

dpeterson
12-10-2003, 05:51 PM
i have an alder classic coming, i'd be interested in knowing if it's possible to put the va circuit in without replacing all the pickups and a huge retrofit.

thanks,
Dave

killerburst
12-10-2003, 07:12 PM
I get the impression that the VA "boost" is tapped pickups. When run in normal mode, you are only using a portion of the winding and getting a brighter, more traditional, low-output sound. Engaging the "boost" means using the whole winding for more output and a stronger low end. It's not an active circuit, just overwound pickups that are wired to be normally tapped. It's very Spinal Tap if you think about it. Kind of like Nigel's explanation of his Marshall being 'one louder'. You're running your pickups at 70% of their total output capability most of the time, and you designate that output level "normal". Now when you add the other 30% (full output) you designate that a "boost". but really it's just 100% of your pickup working. It's really a cool setup, versus an active circuit that adds additonal output level (and noise, tonal coloration, etc.) to your pickups, pushing you over 100% of your "normal" output level. I think I just confused myself.

Tom, straighten me out if I'm wrong.

Stan Malinowski
12-10-2003, 07:16 PM
i'd be interested in knowing if it's possible to put the va circuit in without replacing all the pickups and a huge retrofit.

Not likely. There are two types of VA Series Pickups VAx (x = 1, 2, 3) which have two wires like any other single coil pickup. THe also are VAxy (xy = 12, 23) which are single coils with 3 wires which allow you to add windings to the pickup depending on which wires you take the output from. When coils are added the pickup produces a stronger signal. The VA Booster Circuit puts a mini toggle switch between the volume & tone knobs to select the level of pickup output. This requires the VAxy Series pickups.

Most likely your Classic was ordered with VAx series pickups. If you are REALLY serious in the VA Booster you should contact your dealer ASAP and see if the option can be added before the guitar leaves the factory. I believe the VA Booster Option adds about $150 List to the price of the guitar. You could also have Anderson wire you up a new pickguard complete with the proper pickups, electornics & pickguard AFTER you receive the guitar, but that could be expensive since everything would have to be replaced. Like I said talk to your dealer ASAP if you really want to make the change, it will be a lot cheaper and a lot less painful to do it now.

dpeterson
12-10-2003, 07:53 PM
it's an ebay special ;) so i'll just live with it... i wanted a traditional strat sound anyway.. i was just wondering.

thanks,
Dave