PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Latest "Hot" CD......

Stan Malinowski
04-28-2005, 11:46 AM
What CD have you purcahsed lately that you can't stop playing?

For me it's "The Duke Meets The Earl", Ronnie Earl & Duke Robillard.

Stan Malinowski
04-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Chris, obviously you are a man of good taste!!! :D :D

"About Them Shoes" is on my list for future purchase. I allow myself the luxury of buying $20 worth of new CDs per month. If I'm lucky enough to find used versions I typically can get 2 for the $20. Had to buy The Duke Meets The Earl new so that blew my whole monthly CD budget! :mad:

guitarzan
04-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Right now all I can listen to on my iPod is Scofield's "UberJam" (thanks, olectric!!) and "Live at the Baked Potato 2000", which is Vinnie Colaiutta, Abe Laboriel, Greg Mathiesen, and the super-talented Mike Landau. 2-disc set. It's a little heavy on the keys, but Mike does his share of great playing and the guitar tones are syrupy sweet.

Last month it was Wayne Krantz's Long To Be Loose. Next month will be Wayne Krantz's 2 Drink Minimum (I can feel it coming...)-

Suriel, tell me you've gone in to the city to the 55 Bar and seen Wayne live, so I can live vicariously through you.

Sixx
04-28-2005, 02:01 PM
Not really a new CD but new for me anyway.

Dave Meniketti's "On the Blue Side"

Son of Anderson
04-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Maria Rita - Maria Rita
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
The Frames - Burn the maps
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
Stars - Set Yourself on fire

BrianH
04-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Not really a new CD but new for me anyway.

Dave Meniketti's "On the Blue Side"
Of Y&T fame? Man, I loved those dudes.
How is it?

olectric
04-28-2005, 02:52 PM
I just received WK's "Long To Be Loose" in the mail. Great googley moogley; that's a good one.

I'm also getting into The Bad Plus' "These Are the Vistas."

killerburst
04-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Mourning Widows (Post-Extreme Nuno) Furnished Souls For Rent

funalij
04-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Hi guys:

There is a band is Spain called RED HOUSE, they play a mix of blues, soul, funk, and they are cools. His last album its called "running on back" but any album is very cool.

Red House are:
Jeff Spinoza (Vocals and guitar), Francisco Simón (guitar), ÁLvaro Martialai (bajo) y Carlos Sánchez (batería).
They aren't very famous (except spanish guitar forums)

Javier

taclassic
04-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Juanes - "Mi Sangre" and "Un Dia Normal"
He has an interesting mix of latin, funk, salsa, and rock sounds.

Sixx
04-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Another one I have been checking out is Ratta Blanca's Poder en Vido. My wife put me onto these guys. They are a metal band from Argentina that sound a bit like Rainbow. The guitar player definitely has a lot of Blackmore and Malmsteen in him.

Donk70
04-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Johnny Hiland- Self Titled
Jet- Get Born
Mark Knopfler- Shangri La

John Price
04-28-2005, 07:59 PM
4 Generations of Miles / Stern
Toto / 25th Anniversary
Uncle Moe's Space Ranch
Danny Gatton
*****Steve Morse / The Introduction***** I haven't stopped listening since it came out in 84....... :D Plus I just caught the show in Philli!

dkaplowitz
04-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Plus I just caught the show in Philli!
Bummer, wish I'd known he was in Philly, I would have probably gone. O well...maybe next time.

sonsop
04-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Blues fans - check out Sean Costello's newest CD. The cover of Dylan's, Simple Twist of Fate will floor you. Sean's got the goods all around; amazing pipes, fluid chops, big tone, great writing. This man is a force.

wodka
04-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Let's see...

Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera
Chris Whitley - Dirt Floor
Black Keys - thickfreakness
Bill Frissell with Dave Holland

Big Jim
04-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Glenn Hughes - Soul Mover

Heavy rock mixed with funk.

Jim

fractal
05-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Right now all I can listen to on my iPod is Scofield's "UberJam" (thanks, olectric!!)

<snip>

Scofield is great! I have his "Up All Night" spinning now.

-Garrett

jimmieb
05-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Maria Rita - Maria Rita
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
The Frames - Burn the maps
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
Stars - Set Yourself on fire

You always blow me away with you the new bands you listen to. Either it's because I agree or have no idea who they are until I hear them. Are you almost done at APU?

Jimmie B

PS I haven't heard of any of those bands? I'm old, I guess! The Geeezzz... Get of my lawn you little BRATS! Where did I put them choppers? Dang it! I ain't talkin bout no motorbike neether.

michaelomiya
05-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Loudness - Racing :eek: :D

dpeterson
05-02-2005, 07:34 AM
alter bridge (old creed guys without the weenie)

dave

Son of Anderson
05-02-2005, 10:26 AM
You always blow me away with you the new bands you listen to. Either it's because I agree or have no idea who they are until I hear them. Are you almost done at APU?

i finished all my term papers, as well as 3/4 of all my finals. I am oficially done thursday morning. But then i start all over again come fall, my senior year.

ps- i take pride is listening to obscure "im so cool i listen to underground" bands. I have too big an ego to listen to popular stuff...im so sad.

olectric
05-02-2005, 10:38 AM
David--

It's okay, I like some of your bands, too. I remember the first time I ever heard Dillenger Escape Plan. One of my metalhead friends bought their "Calculating Infinity" album. Man, the first track kept us laughing for hours. Shredded piles of notemeal from every band member. Haven't heard any of their newer stuff; is it similar?

P.S. +1 Arcade Fire

tom
05-02-2005, 10:42 AM
he'll be bringing it home soon :eek:

jimmieb
05-02-2005, 11:23 AM
he'll be bringing it home soon :eek:

Just think of how cool you could be listening to David's music!

Jimmie B

Son of Anderson
05-02-2005, 11:40 AM
David--
Haven't heard any of their newer stuff; is it similar?

It is actually quite different. I can only listen to old dillinger for about 10 minutes before my brain goes numb. "Miss Machine" (newest Cd) is a lot more structued and catchy.. or at least as catchy as you can get with the dillinger guys. Also the short album they recorded prior to "Miss Machine" was done with Mike Patton of Mr. Bungle... needless to say, that album is interesting. It is called "Irony is a Dead Scene" and sounds exactly like you would think a hybrid work of Mr.Bungle meets Dillinger should sound.

Jim_Cross
05-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Has anyone got any good alt-country recommendations?
Counting Crows and Ryan Adams are about the most countryfied stuff I seem to be able to get hold of over here, so it would be good to get some more "countryish" stuff

olectric
05-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Has anyone got any good alt-country recommendations?
Counting Crows and Ryan Adams are about the most countryfied stuff I seem to be able to get hold of over here, so it would be good to get some more "countryish" stuff

Wilco, Whiskeytown (fronted by Ryan Adams), Son Volt, Uncle Tupelo, to name a few. Modest Mouse has got some alt-country flavor, but they're VERY quirky. Awesome band.

It is actually quite different. I can only listen to old dillinger for about 10 minutes before my brain goes numb. "Miss Machine" (newest Cd) is a lot more structued and catchy.. or at least as catchy as you can get with the dillinger guys. Also the short album they recorded prior to "Miss Machine" was done with Mike Patton of Mr. Bungle... needless to say, that album is interesting. It is called "Irony is a Dead Scene" and sounds exactly like you would think a hybrid work of Mr.Bungle meets Dillinger should sound.

That's the way I feel about old DEP. I'll check out the new stuff.

Casper
05-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Just bought some cool stuff on Amazon:

Michael Buble'-"It's Time"
Jane Monhiet-"Live at the Rainbow Room"
George Benson- "Weekend in LA"
The Best of Pablo Cruise
Boz Scaggs Live
Swing Out Sister- "Shapes and Patterns"
Count Basie Orch.

A good mix of Old and New...

Shaun

Stys
05-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Beyond the Thunder by Neal Schon has been played alot lately in my car. Also, the new Glenn Hughes CD, Soul Driver. Great stuff.

fractal
05-20-2005, 11:43 AM
I just looked, and noticed what I put down a while back. I just listened to Scofield's "Up All Night" again last night! How's that for timing. Plus, it's just a damn good record.

-Garrett

Suriel Zayas
05-20-2005, 03:49 PM
il divo plays alot on my ipod. i'm not kidding, great music to keep the ear in tune.

brian b
05-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Just picked up Def Leppards Rock of Ages. Man does it bring back memories.

mbrown3
05-24-2005, 02:48 PM
I've been revisiting Radiohead. Man, what great stuff. Particularly the Bends, Kid A, OK Computer, and Pablo Honey. And, of course, lots of David Crowder as always.

BrownDog
05-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Scott Henderson - Live

With tone and oneness, Mike.

tunacaster
05-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Sin City Revival (Local band for all you Richmond boys - Brian Fones, Dean Berry)

Chris Duarte Group - Texas Sugar Strat Magic