PDA

View Full Version : Polishing with Mequiar's

Guitarded
04-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I am reluctant to use Meguiar's Quick Detailer on a guitar. I love their products but I am very hesitant to rub something with abrasive in it (however little) on a beautiful guitar finish. I did read Caspers string (Dec/03) and found that helpful. Right now, I simply use lens cleaner (water base, no silicone) to clean to the original finish. I don't want to use just any polish without knowing what's in it. Comments and suggestions please?

bruce
04-25-2005, 11:09 PM
There is no real "magical" polish. Any guitar polish will do....they are all pretty similair, some people are brand happy. All you are really doing on a guitar is removing the finger smudges and sweat while leaving a smooth, clean shine. I highly dought Maguire's is going to leave scratches...wait, in fact I know Maguires' is NOT going to leave scratches. If someone got scratches using Maguire's, it's most likely the cloth or the debris in the cloth....It also could have been by polishing before cleaning... You wouldn't wax your car before washing it would you?

Roy (maybe)
04-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Quick Detailer does not have any abrasives in it. It is for removing light contaminants from the surface of show cars without scratching. No worries with it. Bruce is right (of course) if someone experienced scratches it was the rag or something else on the surface. In fact one of Quick Detailer’s assets is that it is suppose to encapsulate small particles and remove them safely.

(Maybe)

Stys
04-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Meguiar's is perfect.....I've spent too much time in Chrysler assembly line paint shops and all engineers claim Meguiar's is best for new car finishes. Mr. Maybe's comments are right on the money regarding small particles. This is one main reason why Quick Detailer is used in final assembly.

BrianH
04-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Ever use Novus? That stuff is killer.

Guitarded
04-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Merci... really appreciate the help, guys

mtucker
05-05-2005, 10:11 AM
i've owned many different autos from hot rod hi-boy roadsters to high end italian ..mostly black ... and the very best quick detailer by far can be had from Griot's Garage -

The Meguiar family are good people - no two ways about it - but Griot's 'Speed Shine' is something special and no hazing or build up like the other products if you use with frequency - check it out ..

also be sure to use only cotton and watch out for sewn seams with abrasive thread .. this will give you swirls and the like ... never dry rub and always spray on your cloth not the subject of your effort ..