PDA

View Full Version : Musical Repertoire - How do you use your Anderson?

michaelomiya
12-09-2003, 05:27 PM
As someone who's transcended the responsibility-vortex from an 80's, head-banging hessian into the role of mortgage-paying, family man, I don't get to play out as much anymore. Impromptu jams at "get togethers" are about as much "playing out" (if you can call it that) as I am allowed (as mandated by the "Power" of the house).

Most of the time, I'm holed up w/ a few select Anderson-carrying guitarists, recording and jamming incognito doing covers of classic rock and 80's metal. While at home, I'm typically playing kid's songs and the Beatles on my Andersons.

That said, what do YOU forumites typically play on your Anderson axes? When there's an Anderson in your clutches (studio, stage, or home) what songs or styles are you typically playing?

I know that tom plays in a praise and worship band, Brian's playing in a Queen tribute band and gigging regularly, several others (Jessie) are into zydeco/slide. rockabilly, southern-influenced music (ala Sonny Landreth and Danny Gatton), and 60's (Roy- Maybe!), while others are emulating that LA Studio/Tim Pierce/Landau/Luke/Carlton - vibe.

Stys
12-09-2003, 05:50 PM
I did the band thing, played out frequently until the kids came along. Now, I record my own music in my basement studio. I get alot of self gratification but I do miss playing out from time to time.

pluto
12-09-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm the mop-up man at church, i.e., I play when asked (when the other guitarist is out). My pastor wants me to get up there on a regular basis, but I prefer playing as a substitute. Playing on a regular basis would mean I would have to make it to church on time on a regular basis!! Ha, ha! Hawaiian time rules, braddah! At home, I hide my Andersons from my daughter for fear that she does major destruction to them. I rarely ever get to crank my amps at home. I always keep one Anderson (nicely hidden) at work for practice with my Korg PX4 headphone processor. I go to work an hour early and close my office door so that I get to play/practice for 1 hour. With a 1 and 1/2 year old baby, that's the most time I ever get to play.

fuzzyguitars
12-09-2003, 06:03 PM
i play my anderson when i play with myself!!!

100watt
12-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Playing in the band at local clubs. What a high

michaelomiya
12-09-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by fuzzyguitars
i play my anderson when i play with myself!!!

Sir, you are TRULY a SICK man!!! ;P

Welcome ABOARD DR!!

SteveK
12-09-2003, 06:35 PM
I am lucky enough to play in a band that plays out about three weekends a month. Our singer has been with me for about 20+ years(my wife Joy), our drummer has been with us for about 18 years, and our bass player for 15 years or so. We used to play classic rock, over ten years ago...Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden Journey...Now that I'm older, grayer, and heavier, (Joy is still gorgeous) we've been a rocking blues band for about the last 11 year or so.

oscar100
12-09-2003, 07:19 PM
unlike you guys i dont get a chance to get out live much - its mostly studio stuff

meters funk, acoustic slide, 70's wah, bit of reggae, some gd old rock ......miss playing out tho!

:(

JoeB63
12-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Oh, you're supposed to use them to make music?!?!?

I play in a Jump Blues band (which is blues with a swing beat; think Louis Jordan). ((I should be using a Gretsch hollowbody with a Bigsby, but I don't have one of those)).

We typically gig twice a month, but lately it's been just about every weekend. We also play some straight blues (e.g. Thrill is gone, Key to the Highway, Robben Ford's Start It Up) and some rock tunes (e.g. Voodoo Child).

Lately I've standardized on just using my TA Classic for everything.

At home I play a little of everything.

jimmieb
12-09-2003, 09:20 PM
I'm also playing in 2 praise and worship bands. One on Sunday morning at one small church, and on Sunday evenings with a more higher volume group at a large church. I use Triaxis/2:90 with TC GMaj, and a pair of Mesa 1x12's for Sun morning, then 2x12's for Sun evening. I had trouble Sun mornings so I'm trying
the Flextone. Both rigs take a lot of homework programing them,
I write most of them on the fly (at rehearsal), then later assign midi presets(midi mapping), also I use real time controlers and switch on/off delay, reverb, chorus, tap tempo with 2- G minors which adds flexablity like pedals do. After you set the midi stuff and get used to using them it works great, for me. I especially like the tap tempo for delays, chorus, tremolo, and the uni-vibe.
I've got lots of time in programing but I save all the patches, so I have something to show for my time investment. I've simply have
to get used to schleping it around. I love my tone and that the sacrifice I make. I have noticed also the 2:90 works well at half power. I feel that with my Cobra and Alder Drop Top I have most tonal variations covered.

Jimmie B

killerburst
12-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Freebird!

;)

Tom Gross
12-09-2003, 11:30 PM
My real life precludes being in a band these days, but I do jam a lot and play everyday at home. I use my Andersons on a variety of Blues, Fusion, Jazz, and Classic rock stuff.

And hey - you can get a nice jazz sound with a Cobra.

Tom Gross
12-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by SteveK
I am lucky enough to play in a band that plays out about three weekends a month. Our singer has been with me for about 20+ years(my wife Joy), our drummer has been with us for about 18 years, and our bass player for 15 years or so. We used to play classic rock, over ten years ago...Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden Journey...Now that I'm older, grayer, and heavier, (Joy is still gorgeous) we've been a rocking blues band for about the last 11 year or so.

These guys are a great blues band.

Stan Malinowski
12-10-2003, 12:38 PM
I play in a Jump Blues band (which is blues with a swing beat; think Louis Jordan). ((I should be using a Gretsch hollowbody with a Bigsby, but I don't have one of those)).

Joe,

Noticed you are from Austin, you must be familair with Nick Curran, his music is sort of Jump/Blues.

Stan Malinowski
12-10-2003, 12:41 PM
I am another guy who plays with himself...OOPS I mean I play my Anderson at home by myself for the most part. Well, I guess playing my Anderson alone is better than being a keyboard player who plays with his own organ:D

Serously, I have a small home studio and occasinally will jam with some friends. Styles are mostly blues/rock & classic rock.

michaelomiya
12-10-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
I am another guy who plays with himself...OOPS I mean I play my Anderson at home by myself for the most part. Well, I guess playing my Anderson alone is better than being a keyboard player who plays with his own organ:D

Serously, I have a small home studio and occasinally will jam with some friends. Styles are mostly blues/rock & classic rock.

:D :D :D

I am relating to that!!

BrianH
12-10-2003, 08:02 PM
In the bath tub, mostly.

Son of Anderson
12-10-2003, 08:13 PM
ive got a waterproof Anderson just for that occasion.

John Price
12-10-2003, 10:08 PM
I gig frequently and will take pickup gigs when available! I also have a small studio in the house and I mean small but it gets the job done for the demo's!
plus the original band that I have called Reviving frankenstein!
I've been studying with one of the best jazz guitarist in the area for a few years now and his name is Bill washer...You can never stop learning!!!!!

:)

JGraham
12-12-2003, 05:55 AM
I play in an original hard rock band.

Casper
12-12-2003, 07:08 AM
I work a gov't gig during the day and play in a regional showband that travels the East Coast and other sections of the country. We have even been to Canada, Mexico and Ireland on occasion to play these big corporate gigs (50% of our work), the rest is split between weddings and clubs. We do about 60-80 nights a year. Mostly 70's /80's funk and pop with motown thrown in.
I guess we are considered top 40 even though we probably do only 2 or 3 "current" tunes a year
Not nearly enough soloing for me, but with no kids, I am still digging the road on the weekend and the missus doesn't mind.....yet.
I have a Bora Bora Blue Droptop and a Transblonde Classic I run through a Digitech RP14 to a Hotrodded Peavey Classic 30. Simple, efficient, and my crew loves the easy setup...
Casper

nickdahl
12-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Like some of you, I "retired" from the active music scene when the kids came along, but my love for guitars never faded. I just picked up my first TA guitar last summer, and use it in my basement music area, where I can blast away my conception of heavy blues and modern rock. I've gotten into home recording recently, and found that my Drop Top records the best out of all my guitars. It also sounds great through the guitar rig I built last year as a hobby project.

Now I'm looking for an Anderson to compete with my favorite Les Paul Custom for "second" guitar duties!

Nick

tom
12-14-2003, 11:17 PM
i smell a cobra brewin'

nickdahl
12-15-2003, 09:10 AM
Yes, you do! Although my LP does have Anderson pickups in it!

Nick

John Price
12-15-2003, 10:09 AM
Ever since I started playing a Cobra my LP just sit's in the case!

;)

nickdahl
12-15-2003, 10:33 AM
Well, that was fast:

Model - Cobra
Body Finish - Translucent Amber with Binding
Body Wood - Figured Maple Top on Mahogany
Neck Wood - Mahogany, Rosewood Fretboard
Neck Finish - Black Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Heavy
Back Shape -
Hardware - Chrome
Bridge - Non-Tremolo Fixed Bridge
Pickguard -
Pickups - HO1- HO1+
Switching - 5 Way, Pull on Tone Knob splits middle position
Strings - .010-.046 Elixir strings

I guess this belongs in another thread, but since we were talking about a Cobra brew...the pot just boiled over this morning! I had my eye on this guitar for a while, but after nearly killing myself in a car wreck last week and wondering if, indeed, there is a Santa Claus, I decided to put matters into my own hands.

Nick