PDA

View Full Version : Green Frets

dirkd
04-18-2005, 05:28 PM
I've noticed that on the finger playing side of the frets on my DTC there is a line of green where the fret metal meets the maple of the finderboard. Actually this has been there since I bought it(used) but it seems to be getting more noticeable now...when I try to scratch it off with my pick, it kinda makes it look worse

Is this due to manky fingers, glue, lack of care, what? and can anyone advise the best way to clean up such things?

tom
04-18-2005, 06:36 PM
sounds like sweat or just moisture getting to the wood under the finish. once it's there it's pretty much there to stay unless it is refinished.

funalij
04-19-2005, 05:55 AM
I had the same problem with my Fernandes R-8, it's a maple fingerboard too.

I never had this problem till I leave it playing, because I use to play with my TA classic and Fernandes has been in his suitcase for a long time.

Tom, maybe it's a time problem with this kind of wood fingerboard? (I clean strings every time I play each guitar so I suppose it's not a sweat problem)

Anyway, I put the string off and cleaned with a little piece of wood (very care of course)

Javier

tom
04-19-2005, 10:22 AM
the wood would need moisture in some form, either sweat of excess moisture in the case for a reaction to happen.

funalij
04-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Tom,

By the way, I use to put a little bag with desiccant (for deshumification) in every guitar suitcase.

What do you think about it?
It's good or bad for wood/guitar?

Thanks in advance
Javier

tom
04-19-2005, 11:26 AM
not a bad idea if you live in a wet place. they do get used up fairly fast though, and i don't know how to tell if they are.