PDA

View Full Version : Mini-bucker on Classic T or Hollow T?

JoeB63
12-09-2003, 12:50 PM
I've been thinking (a lot) about buying a T-style guitar, and I've been considering a mini-bucker in the neck position. For some reason, I don't think a full-sized HB looks right in the neck of a Tele, and I think I would prefer an HB to a standard T or S pickup in the neck. So that leaves a Mini-bucker (MHB).

So now Anderson has a MHB. How would that work in a Hollow T or Classic T? I'm talking about a plain alder or swamp-ash body (no maple top). Would it work better in Ash or Alder? What T-style bridge pickup would work best with the MHB in the neck? Hollow or solid body? 5-way swithing?

I'm thinking rosewood fretboard, and probably a trem too.

Roy (maybe)
12-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Hi Joe,

If I were Roy from Anderson Guitarworks, what I might say is that an M-Series humbuck would be wonderful in the neck of any of the afore mentioned combinations. It will offer a much better balance between neck and bridge than a full sized humbucker and still give a bigger neck tone than standard single. The M1 would be the best choice for this task.

(This is what Roy would probably say if he were here.)

Happy Playing

michaelomiya
12-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Roy (maybe)
Hi Joe,

If I were Roy from Anderson Guitarworks, what I might say is that an M-Series humbuck would be wonderful in the neck of any of the afore mentioned combinations. It will offer a much better balance between neck and bridge than a full sized humbucker and still give a bigger neck tone than standard single. The M1 would be the best choice for this task.

(This is what Roy would probably say if he were here.)

Happy Playing

If the REAL Roy was here, what he'd really say is, "Spencer, go back to your Chiropracting gig, and stop impersonating me..." (maybe)

oscar100
12-13-2003, 04:53 AM
roy maybe?

will thr mini bucker fir on a classic? will it be possible to order a prewired scratch plate with 3 mini hums for my classic?

:p

Roy (maybe)
12-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Oscar 100,

This is Maybe Roy.

Thanks for your question and thanks for being an Anderson Player!

If I know those guys at Anderson, they would probably say that if you want Ms in your Classic the body would need a bit of routing under the pickguard that Bruce at Anderson could easily do for you. A pickguard would have to be especially cut for you too but it is all very possible and should give you a gigantic sounding Classic—and you would have the first one.

At least this is what I believe Roy would say back to you.

Happy Playing,
Mr Maybe

oscar100
12-17-2003, 03:49 AM
unfortunately roy

maybe im in london in th euk which makes it a littl emore complicated to arrange re sending whole gtr!

:D

Roy (maybe)
12-17-2003, 12:16 PM
Hi Oscar 100,

I see your point; there is an ocean between us. Okay then, is there someone there you trust to rout your Classic a bit and then Anderson could send you the pickguard?

By the way, did you see Guitar of the Week this week? That guitar is on its way to you in the UK. According to Roy there will be another UK guitar featured in a few weeks—but don't tell anyone.

Happy Playing

oscar100
12-18-2003, 08:01 AM
Roy maybe

i coul dget charlie chandler to do it - how much are the minis gonna be?

pappy
12-18-2003, 09:38 AM
In another thread I asked about putting a HB in the neck on my HDTC. How about a MH? What a great idea as I don't really like the look of a full HB there.

Pappy

Roy (maybe)
12-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Hi Oscar,

You’ll need have Chandler call Anderson (for those joining us, Chandler's is a cool store in England) to get a price on the Ms but they run the same as the SA or SD pickups. The only routing required is slightly enlarging the middle single coil rout, the neck and middle should already fit. Then just a new pickguard is required.

Hi Pappy,

A full sized Humbucker or Mini, for the neck position, would only require a new pickguard and a re-wiring.

Wonderful Holiday Wishes and Happy Playing to Everyone!

oscar100
12-18-2003, 01:40 PM
Roy

just for refernce charlie chandler has set up his own store called charlie chandlers guitar experience -

so can u drop a mini hum into a humbucker slot?

:rolleyes:

Roy (maybe)
12-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Oscar,

Very interesting about the England store/Guitar Experience info. We’re glad to know that. Charlie is great and could easily do this rout for you. Standard humbucker routs have enough clearance that Ms will fit, requiring just a new pickguard and a new pickup install.

This could be very cool—big Classic tone.

Have fun!

Mr Maybe

tom
12-26-2003, 12:45 AM
played a hollow t classic with a TV3 and an M1 yesterday. pretty darn cool. this mini humbucker thing killing me. is there anything they won't sound great in?

JoeB63
12-26-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by tom
played a hollow t classic with a TV3 and an M1 yesterday. pretty darn cool. this mini humbucker thing killing me. is there anything they won't sound great in?

Yes, but now how does it look (though of course looks don't really matter)? In in black pickguard? In a white one? Post pics!!

Thanks!

tom
12-26-2003, 08:45 PM
this one's in a black pickguard. looks good, it goes well with the tv3, same size pole pieces. i'm much too primitive to post pictures.