PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 3rd String bends?

dirkd
04-11-2005, 04:47 PM
I love my DTC, however, I always have a problem bending the G string particularly on the low frets. For example, if I bend the G up a whole step on the 5th fret with my 3rd finder, I nearly always 'catch/run over' the D string while doing so, fluffing it up. I can somewhat elimate this by highering the action on the D string, but this then means the D is quite a bit higher than all the rest of the strings and doesn't look quite right. I have no problem with bends on the B & high E strings.

When I look at my bridge(vintage trem), where it's screwed into the body. I can see that the top side(low E) is flush with the body, whereas the bottom(high E) side is not, it's slightly raised and not flush. If I screwed this down so it was flush would this remedy my problem? any suggestions would be most welcome

Sixx
04-11-2005, 05:26 PM
I would get both sides of the bridge level whether you like it flush or floating. Once this is level, I would adjust the individual string heights with the saddles.

tom
04-11-2005, 06:48 PM
i'm not sure i understand the problem. if you are pushing the g string up, it will run into the d string. your only option is to push it with the gstring, or go under it. to go under it, you will have to live with higher action. not sure why you'd want to do that. the bridge should be the same on both sides.

dirkd
04-11-2005, 07:22 PM
i'm not sure i understand the problem. if you are pushing the g string up, it will run into the d string. your only option is to push it with the gstring, or go under it. to go under it, you will have to live with higher action. not sure why you'd want to do that. the bridge should be the same on both sides.

Yea, I mean the top of my bending finger catching the D, is it called "fretting out"? which ruins the bend as it sounds the D. I realise I want to push the D upwards with my bending finger without it touching the frets. The problem I have is when I'm pushing it up, the D is slipping right next to the bent G.

I'm have a play with the bridge tomorrow and take it from there.

tom
04-11-2005, 07:52 PM
fretting out is when the note you are bending, in this case the G string note, losesit's note and turns into a buzz because it is hitting a higher fret. this sounds like a technique problem to me unless i'm reading it wrong.

morty
04-12-2005, 02:06 PM
It`s no problem for me to bend the g strig on the note E up to G, the d and the a string are pusched uppwards and stays over the g string without ruin the sound, so I think you have to work with your fingers, when bending you have to pusch the string a bit further down on your finger, so the other strings is cleared out of the way.

It seems like my Anderson is a bit heavyer to bend than my Fender with same strings, but I think it`s because on my Anderson I use mye tremolo, but on my Fender I have put on 5 springs and it work like it`s a fixed bridge. I think also the fretboard radius is a little different on the Anderson.