PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Guitar SHow

Sixx
04-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Anybody else check the show out? Overall it was probably not as good as last years, but I had a good time.

Here are some of my highlights:

Gear:

Charley's had some nice Andys and Roccaforte gear. The Arctic Blue Cobra with Ms was smokin. If you like the Ms this is a great one.

Fuller's Vintage had some cool Jackson Charvel stuff however it was priced a bit high. I did check out one of the black and white EVHs. I liked it quite a bit.

GC was there with a big booth of Fender and PRS stuff. They also add some Gibson stuff. I was surprised to see that they had Fulltone pedals. Most of the Fender Csutom shop stuff was priced at over $4,000!

Other than that it was your usual assortment of high priced Fender/Gibson stuff.

Performers:

I caught Gary Hoey and really enjoyed his set. He played a basic USA Strat with two humbuckers into a borrowed Marshall JCM half stack. He sounded and played great. It is a nystery to me why HOey isn't more well known.

George Lynch was up next with the Stratoblasters and it was not a good fit. The Blasters are a 3 guitar old school blues band. Adding a 4th guitar player like Lynch was probably not a good idea. These guys had a pretty coreographed routine. The singer and one of the guitar players were getting very pissed at Lynch because he would play over some of the other players leads. It was pretty obvious to me it was unitentional. It happens all the time at these unrehearsed extravanganzas. Larry the lead guy was cool about it.

Andy Timmons played a full set and was great. Killer tone out of his Lonestar. He has a new album coming out that sounds like it is going to be great. Timmons would be a great addition to a major tour like a G3 etc.

sylvanshine
04-11-2005, 04:18 PM
I ran through on Friday late afternoon and it was pretty typical for a Dallas show. As a weekly visitor to Charley's, I didn't see any Andersons that I didn't know about already. What was most noticeable to me was the lack of new Gibsons (short of the Gibby trailer). Dave's wasn't there, which was a bummer.

Best show of the weekend was off site on Saturday night. Queen For A Day at Club Dada. The sweet sound of a 6120 orange Drop Top T getting strangled within an inch of it's life through a Rocca Custom 80 still ringing in my ears.

brian b
04-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Was there on Saturday sad to say was not really impressed. Did see a magical mystery tour classic there. But except for the always great Charley's both nothing impressed me. Must be all the TAG gas, just can't be satisfied with anything else. Did see a few people milling around Gary hoey, George Lynch and saw Rick Derringer at the Warrior booth noodleing away. Nice licks but what ever he was playing thru was terrible.

dannyp
04-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah I saw George Lynch with the Stratoblasters too. It was prolly the worst I've ever seen Lynch. It maybe that he couldn't hear much up there, but overall the sound for everyone was terrible. Lynch is a super nice guy and I had a feeling that they just threw him up there and told him to do something. Either way he was completely off and maybe should have listened more and then jumped in. The stratoblaster guys were great players. Lynch threw in some chicken picking but overall didn't have any of the blues chops.

All Parts wasn't there and I couldn't find much of anything Sunday. The Brook Mays Booth had a new 93 Andy cobra type that they wanted $2400 for. I'd rather get a hollow T for that much.

Danny

BrianH
04-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Ah yes, the Dallas Guitar Show. What a beating! But I did get a cool guitar for myself (which Tom and/or Bruce should be seeing real soon).
Saw some great playing. My old buddies from Lord Tracy were there; George Lynch was being George Lynch (which is a tough gig); but my hands down favorite was the acoustic set by Sam Swank. It was breath taking.
Very little on the Anderson scope other than the 'Rocky' Classic and the left-overs at the B-M booth.
Over-all, kind of a let down (but I say that every year).

Jay, I can't thank you enough for the kind words. It's nice to have a friend that comes through in a pinch like you do. And I do believe I will continue to play the Rocca for a while.

John Price
04-16-2005, 06:40 PM
[Sixx
Andy Timmons played a full set and was great. Killer tone out of his Lonestar. He has a new album coming out that sounds like it is going to be great. Timmons would be a great addition to a major tour like a G3 etc.]

You mean he's using the Mesa/Boogie LoneStar? Was it a combo or head version?