PDA

View Full Version : No respect For The Buzz Feiten

getgo
04-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Over at The Acoustic Guitar Forum, the boys are getting a little rough on the Feiten. Doesn't seem to be much support for it there. They just don't know. :rolleyes:

tom
04-08-2005, 10:17 AM
early on, the acostic builders were grouping together to not use the system. i have several really fine acoustics that have been altered, and they are way better guitars for me than they used to be. it's a shame.

BFC
04-08-2005, 02:54 PM
There is so much misinformation floating around on the BFTS. I agree with Tom. It is a shame.

bruce
04-11-2005, 01:19 AM
It's funny because the improvement in the overall tuning and sound are more noticable on a Feiten-modded acoustic than a Feiten-modded electric.

Some people just don't want to believe it for one reason or another, or aren't capable of hearing the difference of a finely-tuned instrument vs. a non-finely-tuned instument.

Sorry, but I can't go view that forum...don't need a headache right now.

mbrown3
04-11-2005, 07:26 AM
early on, the acostic builders were grouping together to not use the system. i have several really fine acoustics that have been altered, and they are way better guitars for me than they used to be. it's a shame.

Out of curiosity, have your Olsons been Feiten-ized?

tmihm
04-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Anybody ever Feiten'ize a PRS? Can you do that with any electric or acoustic? I nevere realized what I was missing until I got my first Andy...I'm actually playing in tune. :)

Oh...and that Strobo Stomp doesn't hurt either. :rolleyes:

John C
04-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Anybody ever Feiten'ize a PRS? Can you do that with any electric or acoustic?

I'm pretty sure you can Feitenize any guitar - at least any guitar that could structurally stand up to moving the nut. I also believe I read somewhere (maybe here from Tom, Bruce or Roy) that even if you don't move the nut there are benefits to using the offsets.

I'm not sure how much you would gain from Feitenizing a PRS - supposedly they use their own variation of tempered tuning that Paul came up with since he was using 24.5" and later 25" scale lengths instead of the then-standard Fender or Gibson scale lengths.

tom
04-11-2005, 11:49 AM
yes my olsons are feitenized. they were very nice before, but even better now. i have several other nice acoustics that have been done. i also have several that have not. the ones that have not never get played. you can do just about any guitar, but results will vary depending how good thay got thir frets placed in the first place. there are large manufacturers that have frets in funny places. many people claim to do "their" version of a system, but for me anything less than the real deal is not woth doing. offsets alone don't work. when we first did my first olson, the nut was pretty close so we left it alone, and did the saddle. it didn't sound right. the nut then got moved to proper postion and it is now wonderful. if you move the nut alone, the open positions will be improved but the upper register will not. gotta do it all.

mbrown3
04-11-2005, 01:54 PM
yes my olsons are feitenized. they were very nice before, but even better now. i have several other nice acoustics that have been done. i also have several that have not. the ones that have not never get played. you can do just about any guitar, but results will vary depending how good thay got thir frets placed in the first place. there are large manufacturers that have frets in funny places. many people claim to do "their" version of a system, but for me anything less than the real deal is not woth doing. offsets alone don't work. when we first did my first olson, the nut was pretty close so we left it alone, and did the saddle. it didn't sound right. the nut then got moved to proper postion and it is now wonderful. if you move the nut alone, the open positions will be improved but the upper register will not. gotta do it all.

Awesome. Olson's alone are amazing...with the Feiten system they've gotta be just unbelievable.

tom
04-11-2005, 02:29 PM
in tune is always better than not.

mbrown3
04-11-2005, 02:31 PM
in tune is always better than not.

:D :D :D :D :D

Stan Malinowski
04-11-2005, 03:03 PM
I know when you Feitenize an electric you replace the stock nut witha BFS "Overhang" nut and adjust the inonation on the bridge. On an acoustic I assume you also replace the nut with a BFS Overhang but do you have to replace (or custom design) a bridge to compenaste for the BFS offsets?

tom
04-11-2005, 03:17 PM
we don't use the over hang nut. we mill the slot farther forward. nothing inherently wrong with the overhang, just a different kind of work. if you have to replace the nut later, the overhang is more work evey time. on an acoustic you may have to fill the saddle slot and recut it in a better location. most times you can just use a saddle with an overhang to reach the new intonation points. bruce has done many of these.

Stan Malinowski
04-11-2005, 03:24 PM
we don't use the over hang nut.

I was actually referring to the "BFS Conversion" kit which Feiten offers thru authorized dealers. I was considering having Jack Gretz Feitenize a Fender CS Relic but I don't like the look of the lightning bolt on the overhang nut. If Buzz decides to make a model w/o the lightning bolt I would probably follow thru!

tom
04-11-2005, 04:01 PM
you don't have to use the overhang nut, or you could have jack make one.

Stan Malinowski
04-11-2005, 04:08 PM
you don't have to use the overhang nut

But doesn't the nut need to move towards the bridge for BFS to work? I thought BFS required 2 things: 1) move the nut closer to the bridge and 2) intonate the saddles to BFS offsets.

tom
04-11-2005, 04:47 PM
the alternative to the overhang nut is milling off the fingerboard a bit so the nut is the right distance from the first fret. jack could also make a shelf nut for a price.

BoraBora
04-12-2005, 12:15 AM
I had my 1993 Anderson Classic Feitenized last year by John Carruthers. He used the method of placing the nut closer to the first fret, instead of the over hang nut. If you didn't know it you would never realize that the nut had been moved, it's an extremely slight move. It sounds great. :)