PDA

View Full Version : Is there any hope - Please HELP

gregmass
03-30-2005, 01:56 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have been reading the posts for a few weeks now and I really like what I see. I was hoping to receive some suggestions, here is my situation.

I play in an original modern pop/rock band that gigs 3-4 times a month. My current set up is:

Fender LoneStar Strat (My first TA will arrive in July (Cobra S) :) )
Strobo Stomp - Phase 90 - Barber TP - Route 66 - J&H - Boss DD3
Bogner Shiva Head - Bogner 2x12 Closed back (I also have a Bogner 4x12)

I just got the Barber TP this week and played it last night at rehearsal and I love it. I had it on the entire time Vol-3 Blend-11 Sustain-1. I play through the clean channel on the Shiva (pedals seem to be more responsive through this channel). I use the Route 66 for my rhythm gain sound and kick on the Jekyll side for a lead boost.

What I would like to accomplish is the ability to have a lead boost that adds a little gain and for other situations just a clean lead boost.

Please recommend any other pedals you think might help me achieve this or other set ups with my existing pedals. I was thinking about the Barber DD and/or RC Boost. Here is a list of my other pedals that I dont currently have on my board.
Keeley Comp, Keeley Katana, DS1 Keeley Mod, TS9 Keeley Mod, H20, Boss EQ, Boss OC2, Boss CE3

Thanks for the help.

Suriel Zayas
03-30-2005, 02:42 PM
i like the ac boost, boost with a little grit.

tom
03-30-2005, 02:58 PM
for clean boost the rc booster is hard to beat, i've heard great things about the barber ltd for mild gain and boost, still waiting for mine.

gregmass
03-30-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks, I am really leaning toward the RC booster. What do you think is the main difference between the RC and AC?

tom
03-30-2005, 03:24 PM
the ac is capable of more gain. it was fuzzy for me, but i've heard others use it and loved the sound they got.

gregmass
03-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Where should I put the RC in my chain?

crash
03-30-2005, 07:10 PM
I haven't tried the AC or RC boosters, but I have tried a Durham SexDrive and it's pretty cool. It has a gain ctrol on top of the boost controls, so you can add grit to taste. Sounded GREAT behind a Fulldrive2.

nick
03-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Tom, I just ordered a LTD this week and it should be here Friday. Never heard one yet but from the reviews I've read it sounds like what I'm looking for. I would be curious to what you think of yours when you get it as well.

Greg, I've had both RC and AC boost and they are hard to beat. A Landgrath boost would be another suggestion too. Long waiting list though!

Nic

John Price
03-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Another great clean booster pedal is the Ego Booster pedal by Smart People factory! (http://www.smartpeoplefactory.com) This is a great pedal....

killerburst
03-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster

Ian Hurtt
03-31-2005, 02:17 PM
My favorite boost/overdrive pedal is the TIM pedal. I also like the ZVex SHO for a boost pedal.

gregmass
03-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to order the RC Booster. Where do most people put this kind of pedal in their chain?

mbrown3
04-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to order the RC Booster. Where do most people put this kind of pedal in their chain?

2 suggestions:

1. Try it everywhere. I find that the placement of the RC is quite important to the sound you're looking for...well worth the time playing with it.

2. Try different tone settings on the RC...has very aggressive tone controls and the tone will change drastically with adjustments.

Great, great pedal.

Wbb
04-01-2005, 12:22 PM
I've got both RC & AC on my pedal board. I usually go to the RC first, then AC, then to amp. Having both can really open up some options for you.

I'll use them in a variety of ways depending on what I'm shooting for. Lately I've been going kind of "backwards"...that is leaving the AC on, gain at noon, and using the guitar volume knob to control drive, and using the RC to Boost the signal up a notch when needed. Doing this I've been able to run to a Maz Sr and warm it up to a nice creamy slight overdrive, or a bigger fatter overdrive by rolling the guitar volume to max. Kind of like converting a Carmen Ghia into a super Carmen Ghia. Not enough?...step on the RC and the gain is not affected but your volume jumps even more.

Many ways you can play around with these pedals.

mbrown3
04-01-2005, 02:53 PM
I've got both RC & AC on my pedal board. I usually go to the RC first, then AC, then to amp. Having both can really open up some options for you.

I'll use them in a variety of ways depending on what I'm shooting for. Lately I've been going kind of "backwards"...that is leaving the AC on, gain at noon, and using the guitar volume knob to control drive, and using the RC to Boost the signal up a notch when needed. Doing this I've been able to run to a Maz Sr and warm it up to a nice creamy slight overdrive, or a bigger fatter overdrive by rolling the guitar volume to max. Kind of like converting a Carmen Ghia into a super Carmen Ghia. Not enough?...step on the RC and the gain is not affected but your volume jumps even more.

Many ways you can play around with these pedals.

Yeah, I use both too, and it's really a great combo. Wouldn't know what to do with one without the other.

Scott Peterson
04-01-2005, 10:47 PM
RC Boost for sure - you decided well.

Try it last; and then try it all over. You'll be surprised at how good it works with other pedals. Fantastic pedal.

gregmass
04-06-2005, 03:58 PM
I got my RC Booster in yesterday and all I can say is WOW :eek:
This is THE pedal I have been looking for. Simply amazing. I can wait to use it at our show this Saturday. This thing sounds sooo good I want to keep it on all the time. Anyone have any experience using 2 RC Boosters, one on all the time and the other for a boost? I know this sounds crazy but I was just curious.

I think this is a must have pedal. Thanks for all the suggestions.

jimmieb
04-08-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm now runng two RC's. One w/the bass and the drive at 2 0'clock with the treble set differently depending on where I play. The other RC is is set at bass flat, treble to taste, and drive to 11:00. I'm also using a Fatboost in front of both of these and is on most of the time. I really like the tone I get with the Fatboost and the bass driven RC. I'm waiting for the dual Zendrive to be finished. I may not be able to wait and might break down and get a single Zen. I must find my center and meditate on the montra, "The Dual Zen will come, OOOMMMM..."

Jimmie B

PS I'm now settled in the beautiful Temecula Valley. It really is nice out here a lot less smog... Just now got caught on the Forum, missed not being here.

Big Mike
04-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Couldn't be without both AC/RC Love em. I constantly switch one in front first.

I also have an HBE Dos Mas, which is a cascading boost, and also very cool. I actually use all three on my board.