PDA

View Full Version : all 5 springs in my HDT

dkaplowitz
03-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I'm still loving my new HDT (http://www.andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?t=1740&highlight=improvement). Such a joy to play this thing ---and I'm playing the crap out of it. Anyway, when I got it it had just 3 springs in it. I'm pretty heavy handed and really hammer the strings when I play for a percussive effect. I noticed there was some trem warble when I did this, so I went ahead installed the other 2 springs which has helped the warble disappear. Maybe I could have just put a 4th one in, but I figured I want the bridge as fixed as possible. (I also didn't know where the 4th one would be best placed --on the side of the heavy strings?)

Anyway, is there anything I need to do setup-wise to compensate for this? I don't notice any buzzes or anything, but I don't want to stress the neck or anything either.

Thanks for any clues.

Dave

sylvanshine
03-14-2005, 10:44 AM
For me, setting up the trem is all about personal preference with a liberal dose of trial and error.

Personally, I like the trem to be pretty easy to press down. So I use 3 springs spaced evenly, ease the claw springs back until the trem just lays flat.

For you, if you don't use the trem at all, perhaps you should block it off. If you do use it, then I would add springs and tighten the claw until it's as secure as you want it.

I'm sure the TAG folks will chime in shortly, but seems to me that all of the tension would be focused on the back end of the bridge, not the neck.

tom
03-14-2005, 12:12 PM
jays advice is good. nothing wrong with experimenting. 4 springs shoud be plenty to keep it tight, if you have not loosened the claw screws, but 5 won't hurt anything. don't try to use the arm or you may break it.

Buckeye
12-09-2005, 12:59 PM
I am new to this forum and dig all of the great info!

I recently purchased a Hollow Cobra S with vintage trem, my first ever trem guitar (at 57 years old!). I love the way this guitar plays and sounds but find myself not using the trem much. Anyway, upon reading this thread, I was wondering how would one 'block' the trem.

Thanks to Tom et al at TAG for producing marvelous instruments.

AndyT
12-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Hello Buckeye, another "old timer"! heh

Well, I love the sound of a trem guitar, but never use the trem but for rare occasions. Tom will surely have some advice, but here's mine.

This will work on a vintage type trem that can be adjusted downward to rest on the guitar face:

Install 4 sor 5 springs and tighten the claw a bit if it seems loose.

Adjust the trem pivots or mounting screws so that the tremolo lies flat on the guitar face. I move the screws down until the bridge makes full contact and then back off about 1/8 turn to make sure there the bridge is free to lie flat. This will keep the trem from moving if you rest your palm on it and stabilize it.

If you are a string bender try a few bends and see if the trem is pulling up off the guitar face. If not, you are done.

This has the advantage of retaining that nice "springy" trem sound, while virtually locking it in place. You could block off the trem by installing a fitted piece of wood between the tremelo block in the cavity and the cavity itself, but why bother?

As Tom says, don't use the tremelo after this adjustment with 4 or 5 springs. If you want to use the trem, you can always go with 3 springs.

tom
12-09-2005, 03:41 PM
all good advise. you should not need to adjust the 2 pivot screws, they should be set so the bridge will sit flat. i would not put any more pressure on the springs than is required to keep the bridge flat while bending as it will put un needed wear on the knife edges of the bridge, the next owner may want to have the trem usable.

Buckeye
12-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks Tom and Andy...........good advice indeed! BTW, there will NOT be a next owner of MY Hollow Cobra S! I just love the playability and sonic landscape this baby covers...........not to mention the awesome Desert Sunset finish!

tom
12-09-2005, 04:51 PM
that's what they all say ;)

Suriel Zayas
12-09-2005, 09:02 PM
dave, good to see you around here again.