PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to the RC Boost

dannopelli
03-02-2005, 12:00 AM
In another thread I talked about my unfortunate experience with an otherwise awesome pedal, the RC boost. I tried two, Brought them both home. Tested them here and in the studio. But both had static pops that would not discharge no matter how many times i hit the switch.

It is really an awesome and transparent pedal. But I just can't live with that pop.

I tried the Fat Boost but it sucked a bit of tone.

Thinking of one of the Barber things. Anyone else have any suggestions?

joe1962
03-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Thinking of one of the Barber things. Anyone else have any suggestions?

If you're going for low gain or clean boost tones I would think the LTD would be the best Barber pedal to get.

Scott Peterson
03-02-2005, 08:03 AM
I would contact Xotic and see what they can do.

There is no substitute IMHO for the RC Boost.

dannopelli
03-02-2005, 02:46 PM
I would contact Xotic and see what they can do.

There is no substitute IMHO for the RC Boost.

I agree. ;) I tried a Fat Boost again today, but since hearing the RC boost now the FB just does not seem good enough.

xotic is sending four replacements. I'll try them all and pick the one I like best.

Just wondering if anyone had done a side by side with a Barber Launch Pad. But I do like the RC's bass and treble control, giving me the option to do some tone shaping if necessary.

fractal
03-02-2005, 11:47 PM
I've been really intrigued by the Barber line for a while now, and I think I'm going to be getting at least a LTD, and maybe a Tone Press or Launch Pad.

I'll report back if I manage any of that...

-Garrett

dannopelli
03-03-2005, 12:37 AM
I've been really intrigued by the Barber line for a while now, and I think I'm going to be getting at least a LTD, and maybe a Tone Press or Launch Pad.

I'll report back if I manage any of that...

-Garrett
You will like the Tone Press. It is super quiet, super transparent, super functional, and a great value. You can set it so that it seems like you are not using a compressor.

Let me know what you think of the launch pad. Appreciate your help!

sonsop
03-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Klon.

Fantastic pedal that only adds mids when you crank the gain - which is when your suppose to have it. Anyway, the mids are sweet and warm. The treble knob on the Klon is super interactive with the volume and gain controls. I think it's the greatest clean boost/overdrive amp-like pedal of all time.

BrownDog
03-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Keeley Katana is what I use and like it a bunch.

With tone and oneness, Mike.

dannopelli
03-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys. The store got me another and no pops so far! I am a happy boy.

John Price
03-06-2005, 10:21 AM
I would say try the ego booster by SmartPeopleFactory! (http://www.smartpeoplefactory.com) very cool pedal!