PDA

View Full Version : Tom..Overseas gig...problem with Classic

Casper
03-01-2005, 01:20 PM
I just played a gig in Cancun Mexico over the weekend. I had checked the guitar through customs and all the circus associated with being a musician overseas. It was inspected by TSA. (I hope they didn't take it ourt and pass it around) :mad:
When I got to soundcheck the next day I noticed my middle pickup on my 96 Blonde Classic was not functioning. I had to play the gig on neck and bridge pickups (which was o.k.), but I missed the 2-4 sounds terribly.
Tom, we had a similar problem with the middle pickup on my 02 HDT (if you remember), it was a green wire broken loose from the solder joint...could this be the same thing?? Would the guitar riding in an airplane cause any problems? (air pressure..ect.?)
I am taking it in today, I just was glad that the other pickups worked and I was able to get through the gig..
Your thoughts?
Shaun

tom
03-01-2005, 01:53 PM
it would be a scary coincidence if it was the same thing. the flight should not be an issue, but the humidity could be a factor. was there any condensation on your gear?

Casper
03-01-2005, 02:27 PM
No, not that I was able to notice. But from frigid Virginia to Cancun, plus the guitar riding at 38k feet in -36 degree weather?? I don't think cargo areas of planes are that cold, but I would suspect they aren't climate controlled either.
I just thought that it was interesting that the identical problem happened on an older guitar 96 vs 02?
I'll let you know what Dave finds out this week..
SL

bruce
03-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Is Cancun really overseas?

Casper
03-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Its a two hour flight over the mexican gulf from texas!!

bruce
03-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Sounds like a quick weekend getaway. Two hours is barely enough time for the stewardess's to clean up the empty peanut rappers and ear-phones. I just flew in there twice since the first of the year... was it was a bumpy ride for you too?

pappy
03-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Cargo holds are usually temperature controlled and pressurized.

Pappy

Casper
03-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Bruce-
3hour ride to Houston from VA then 2 over the gulf-
Im glad to hear the cargo holds are pressurized and CC.
I guess this a solder joint problem...
Thanks guys-I'll let you know

Casper
03-04-2005, 07:26 AM
Well, I figured out the problem. It was a wire/solder joint partially broken loose on the 5-way switch. (I had the 5 way replaced a few years back, so its not a factory issue) Quick fix once it was discovered.
Back in the swing :p
Shaun

tom
03-04-2005, 12:13 PM
good news, darn that solder.