PDA

View Full Version : Cobra with Floyd

Fiesta Red
02-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Hello,

Does anyone here own a Cobra with a Floyd Rose as the bridge? Any comments or pics? I admit a floyd is a comfortable bridge for me, as it is what I grew up with on my 'learning' guitars. Would there be any effect on tone? I love my TA Classic with a floyd.

-Mark

taclassic
02-28-2005, 02:03 PM
Hello Fiesta Red,

I do not think that Cobras are available with Floyds. I think I have seen that on the order form a Floyd is N/A on Cobras. Plus I do not think I have ever seen one. But the Drop Top Ts and Hollow Drop Top Ts do come with Floyds. The major difference would be the scale length of which you are already accustomed to with the Classic. I will admit that the best Floyd equipped guitar I vere owned was a Tom Anderson.

Ruben

tom
02-28-2005, 04:16 PM
the floyd is not an option on cobra's. i am uncomfortable with the floyd nut on a mahgany neck.

sylvanshine
02-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Fiesta Red-

This is well traveled territory on this forum. You might do a search and see all the back and forth. I ended up with the already mentioned DTT and couldn't be happier. Two in fact...

http://www.sylvanshine.net/IMG_0773.JPG

tom
02-28-2005, 05:36 PM
"couldn't be happier", there's words you don't hear from guitar players very often!

Ian Hurtt
02-28-2005, 11:37 PM
"couldn't be happier", there's words you don't hear from guitar players very often!

Tom, all we guitar players are happy all the time! :D

You said you were uncomfortable with a Floyd nut on a mahogany neck. Is the issue with the nut or the stress of the Floyd use on the mahogany neck? Excuse me if this has been discussed to death before.

tom
03-01-2005, 11:15 AM
it's both, mahogany necks since they are softer, require more tension on the rod. when you slack the strings with the bar the neck pulls back making the strings fret out faster than they would on a maple neck. i would also be concerned abouthe clamp area again since it is a softer wood and we do have the adjustment up there.

Ian Hurtt
03-01-2005, 01:11 PM
it's both, mahogany necks since they are softer, require more tension on the rod. when you slack the strings with the bar the neck pulls back making the strings fret out faster than they would on a maple neck. i would also be concerned abouthe clamp area again since it is a softer wood and we do have the adjustment up there.

Makes sense, thanks for the quick response!

Turrican
03-02-2005, 07:25 PM
What about rosewood necks? i believe rosewood is strong enough to do the job, my DTT has one and had never any issues with the floyd, a great feeling neck, and feels much more stable than a maple neck in a DT.

tom
03-02-2005, 07:55 PM
yes i believe the rosewood would be fine. since rosewood is a recent addition, it has not come up before.

Fiesta Red
03-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Is there a tonal difference between a mahogany neck and a rosewood neck?

-Mark