PDA

View Full Version : Influences - who and why?

Ian Hurtt
02-25-2005, 01:14 AM
Most players develop their style by mixing in influences from other players, or types of music. Some guys only want to play one thing, like say, Black Sabbath tunes. As long as you are happy it's all good, but usually we talk about the "famous guys" as influences. Guys from the 70's like Clapton, Page, Beck, Frehley...Some guys point out to some 80's guys like Vai, Van Halen, Satriani, Lynch, etc....You young pups look to the 90's and 00's like...I don't know....Cobain, Tremonti, ???

Anyway, are there any guys out there now that we may look at 20 years from now as one of those "famous guys"? Fringe players or maybe that monster player that just needs to take that one last step? Let's hear about some of today's guys, there are a bunch out there!

I'll put out two to start. Tomo Fujita is a monster funk player. He teaches at Berklee, and is also a terrific guy. I've emailed him a couple times and he's hooked me up with some lessons. If you love the funk, he's worth the time.

Neil Zaza is probably my favorite "chops" guy. Some guys play with melody, some with blind speed and technique. This guy can do it all, with taste and melody. I heard Zaza at Namm several years ago and he totally changed how I looked at instrumental guitar. He is not a speed guy, even though he can play as fast as anyone I've ever heard. Check him out, he's also a pretty nice guy. I actually even have a link to his website:

www.neilzaza.com (http://www.neilzaza.com)

BoraBora
02-25-2005, 03:02 AM
A guitarist I really love that I believe is underrated and always seems to be on the verge of something big is Doyle Bramhall II. Doyle is currently playing guitar in Eric Clapton's band and he has toured with Roger Waters. In the early 90s at the age of 23 he was in a band with SRV's rhythm section Double Trouble and Charlie Sexton called the Arc Angels. Their one and only album is still one of my all time favorites to this day. He's also released three solos albums. Doyle's playing is very tasty and his singing and songwriting is incredibly soulful. :cool:

www.doylebramhall2nd.com

michaelomiya
02-25-2005, 04:26 AM
Eric Johnson - fluidity, tone and harmony
Randy Rhoads - ability to cut memorable solos w/ absolute precision
Yngwie - flawless technique PERIOD.
Akira Takasaki - IronMaiden meets Rush, w/ EVH/Randy flash, topped by modded-Marshall fire
EVH - why? EDDYROX! :D

michaelomiya
02-25-2005, 04:29 AM
Most players develop their style by mixing in influences from other players, or types of music. Some guys only want to play one thing, like say, Black Sabbath tunes. As long as you are happy it's all good, but usually we talk about the "famous guys" as influences. Guys from the 70's like Clapton, Page, Beck, Frehley...Some guys point out to some 80's guys like Vai, Van Halen, Satriani, Lynch, etc....You young pups look to the 90's and 00's like...I don't know....Cobain, Tremonti, ???

Anyway, are there any guys out there now that we may look at 20 years from now as one of those "famous guys"? Fringe players or maybe that monster player that just needs to take that one last step? Let's hear about some of today's guys, there are a bunch out there!

I'll put out two to start. Tomo Fujita is a monster funk player. He teaches at Berklee, and is also a terrific guy. I've emailed him a couple times and he's hooked me up with some lessons. If you love the funk, he's worth the time.

Neil Zaza is probably my favorite "chops" guy. Some guys play with melody, some with blind speed and technique. This guy can do it all, with taste and melody. I heard Zaza at Namm several years ago and he totally changed how I looked at instrumental guitar. He is not a speed guy, even though he can play as fast as anyone I've ever heard. Check him out, he's also a pretty nice guy. I actually even have a link to his website:

www.neilzaza.com (http://www.neilzaza.com)

I'll second the motion on Tomo! He's chops AND groove.

My Tomo Gear Page Post (http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67855&perpage=15&highlight=tomo&pagenumber=1)

olectric
02-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Mark Goldenberg--taste, pure and simple. As far as technique goes, his vibrato and bends have a very vocal quality, and they're always right on pitch. Check out Jackson Browne's "Sky Blue and Black" for a great Goldenberg solo.

Peter Bernstein--NYC jazz monster. His funk playing is AWESOME. I've found his own recordings are pretty good, but his playing on Josh Redman's "Freedom in the Groove" is incredible.

Bill Frisell--maybe my favorite guitar player of all time, which is funny because he's a musician first and a guitar player second. He's not really known for his chops (he has been described as the Clark Kent of the electric guitar). He started out as a jazz player, but his stuff lately has been very Americana--Check out "Blues Dream."

Lincoln Brewster--The energy in his playing is why he is on here. He has some monster chops, but he doesn't always have to use them. I appreciate that more and more with every next guitar player I hear. He does some really cool stuff with delay (see Darrell Evans' "I Am in Love With You") and has a great heart.

I just started listening to Tomo--he's awesome, too! If you like funk, check out www.avibortnick.com. He's been described as the best rhythm guitarist on the planet.

taclassic
02-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

Here are my two cents on this topic. I got into a spanish rock band back in 1995 called Mana. They had just added a new member to the band...a lead guitarist by the name of Sergio Vallin. This guy really rocks. He can go anywhere from Santana to Andy Summers to Van Halen and then throw in some Paco de Lucia. I have seen Mana many times in concert and the guy has some awesome tone. He has a very fluid playing style. I love how he can go from Single coil clean rythm to some heavy EVH crunch. Hey this is the guy that turned me onto Tom Anderson guitars. Check out any of Mana's last 4 albums to hear his influence in the band.

brian b
02-25-2005, 11:52 AM
+2 for Lincoln Brewster have all 3 of his CD's great player toured with Steve Perry around the Oh Sherry era.

Pete Willis
Steve Clark -When Def Leppard was still raw.
Tony Palacios-- He was and maybe still the guitarist for christain rock group Guardian. But what I like about him is he but out a solo instrumental CD call Epic's of Whoa-- All kinds of different styles atill a great guitarist.
Any of the Hellcaster's

Marty S Horne
02-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Chuck Loeb, NY based jazz guitarist; exceptional technique, warm, sweet tone, smooth fluid style and brilliant improviser.
Jimmy Herring, aggressive rock monster with jazz chops and solos that always sound innovative.
Mike Stern, brilliant jazz player who can also rock out. Strong and original compositions to match his great playing.

Marty S Horne
02-25-2005, 02:07 PM
I have to give honorable mention to Buzz Feiten for being the funkiest, most in-the-pocket rhythm guitarist on the planet. Since the 70s, much of my own rhythm playing has been modeled after him.

Stys
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Lindsey Buckingham - King of the one note solo.
Jeff Beck - His trem style boggles the mind.

Jon Henrik
02-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Steve Vai
The player that got me in to isntrumental and complex rock music. He can pronounce every little nuance and feeling through his guitar. His phrasing is instantly recognisable. He has no technical or theoretical boundaries, and that is one of the things I admire the most. He is also a world-class entertainer...I almost get a man-crush every time I see one of his live performances :p

Andy Timmons
He has inspired me to work more on my phrasing techniques, and improvised melody development. His versatility is amazing. A truly respected studio-musician that is way underrated by most.

John Petrucci
Just got into his music recently. I really admire John's song writing skills and riffing. I do think he sometimes "over-play",in the sense that his playing gets to shred-influenced, which doesn't make him my favourite guitarist.

olectric
02-25-2005, 08:00 PM
I forgot to mention earlier that Mark Goldenberg is heavily addicted to Andersons. I think that he plays them exclusively live when on tour with Jackson Browne.