PDA

View Full Version : Wah pedals?

olectric
02-23-2005, 05:29 PM
I've had a Jim Dunlop Crybaby wah for a loooong time, and I've used that as well as a Morley Bad Horsie for about a year now. I'm not sure that I really like either of them that much, but I've never tried any other pedals. What do you use and why?

Suriel Zayas
02-23-2005, 06:12 PM
i'm currently using the fulltone wah. great sounding pedal, but a very different sweep than the vox i was using. the vox is a nice sounding pedal, it has a very good sweep to it. the vox has truebypass and currently getting it repaired and modded.

tom
02-23-2005, 07:43 PM
if it's vocal quality you're after, i love the rmc. the vox is probably better for wacka wacka stuff, but i don't do that. you need to mod the vox to get true bypass.

guitarzan
02-23-2005, 08:35 PM
i'm using the buddha bud-wah which definitely has a vocal "nasal" sound to it. I use it more for a filter sweep kind of sound, like a slow deliberate, rocking back and forth.

However... every now and then, when the spirit moves me- and only if I'm feeling a little bit randy- I might do some "wacka wacka" with it.

wacka wacka.

Good stuff, Tom. Good stuff.

jimmieb
02-23-2005, 08:36 PM
I had the Fulltone Clyde and it was very cool. The long throw was hard to get used to though. Now I'm using a Teese RMC 2, which is very vocal sounding and is a traditional throw, like a Dunlop or Vox. It is warmer and like Tom said it's not a "Theme from Shaft" chimping like sound. I really like it. I was going to get a RMC 3, but the idea of opening up the bottom panel to change the settings didn't appeal to me. The RMC 2 you can set the Q or attack, the volume, and 5 position to change the frequency sweep by external knobs. There's also another pedal that isn't a production pedal called the 'Wheels of Fire'. It has the addition of a low resonance adjustment. I wish I knew about that when I bought mine.

Jimmie B

This is the first wah I really like to just leave open in a stationary place, the others sounded to bitey for that.

Ian Hurtt
02-23-2005, 08:43 PM
I like the Teese RMC3LE, I can pull pretty much any wah sound out of it you can ask for. The only problem is that I want to keep tweakin' the parameters, instead of playing!

BTW, hello everyone! Everytime I come back here you guys make me re-register! :eek:

olectric
02-23-2005, 08:44 PM
What would you all recommend for a good funk wah--one that goes "wacka wacka?"

pluto
02-23-2005, 08:49 PM
I've owned the Teese RMC3LE, Fulltone clyde, Z Vex Wah Probe, Dunlop 535q chrome and Budda Bud-Wah. I still have the Budda. It's my favorite for high gain and for the really clean (wacka wacka) stuff. The top end is really pronounced but sweet. For the mid gain stuff, I preferred the Teese on the Picture setting. The Teese RMC3LE can do it all, but I could not really get it to sound as good as the Budda while playing the really high gain stuff even on the Wizard setting. Hence, I sold it and kept the Budda.

pluto
02-23-2005, 08:50 PM
What would you all recommend for a good funk wah--one that goes "wacka wacka?"

Budda. Actually, a Coloursound if you can find one. Whoops-edit-I meant "Colorsound"!

tom
02-23-2005, 09:17 PM
i was looking for a colorsound when i went hunting, but couldn't find one. i remember them being my favorite back in the day. they had a long throw as i remember.

njjessee
02-23-2005, 10:18 PM
I use a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe. Great sounds, have choice of three. I find all are usable. Has volume control and is very quiet.

Noah

John Price
02-23-2005, 10:56 PM
My new favorite is the Vox Clyde McCoy! This pedal comes with true bypass and the jack for the AC Adapter! At first I didn't like how bright the toe position was but the more I used it the more I adapted to the feel and control of the wah~! I'm very satisfied with this Wah!
I was using the dunlop dime and had several dunlops before that and I just got tired of replacing the on/off switches every few months so I decided to try the Clyde! fulltone does make a great wah I've owned both! but not practical for me to use on stage! beer and whisky spills are to expensive to wash out! (replace!) :D

HiG
02-23-2005, 11:13 PM
i'm currently using the fulltone wah. great sounding pedal, but a very different sweep than the vox i was using. the vox is a nice sounding pedal, it has a very good sweep to it. the vox has truebypass and currently getting it repaired and modded.

+1 The Vox V847 is excellent for wacka-wacka. Putting a true-bypass DPDT is a pretty simple affair if you're handy with a soldering iron. Got to run this pedal off of a battery though. It doesn't like the clip-on power supplies. :cool:

pluto
02-24-2005, 01:29 PM
i was looking for a colorsound when i went hunting, but couldn't find one. i remember them being my favorite back in the day. they had a long throw as i remember.

Yeah-that sweep is sort of difficult getting used to, but for funk-that's the wah! I'm not into wahs, but I wished I at least bought one of the reissues that came out just before Dick Denny died.

ctoddrun
03-01-2005, 03:09 PM
I've got the Wizard Wah and I must say, I'm not very pleased with it.

I bought it based on recommendations for my music type and the fact that I play mostly humbucker equipped guitars.

I think I need a more traditional sounding wah with more of a range to the sweep.

I guess I thought if I bought a "boutique" wah it'd be perfect... the search will continue.

Dangit.

tom
03-01-2005, 03:56 PM
i use the regular teese that they don't recommend for humbuckers and love it. it is very vocal with gain, but does nicely clean too.

LonestarGtr
03-01-2005, 09:07 PM
I have a couple of crybaby's, one's a thomas organ one, and a regular vox wah and an RMC. I like the true bypass of the RMC and it sounds good so it's usually the one that ends up on my live pedalboard. I like the sweep of the regular Vox the best, though. I should get the true bypass switch on it. And there's really nothing "wrong" with a good ol' crybaby. I tried about a half dozen in a store, everything from the Budda to the new crybabys and the fulltone and I liked the RMC the best. To each his own wah.

Mike

joe1962
03-02-2005, 12:51 AM
i use the regular teese that they don't recommend for humbuckers and love it. it is very vocal with gain, but does nicely clean too.

Funny you should say that. I bought the RMC3 thinking that since I use humbuckers AND singles I'd need the adjustable wah to find a happy medium for both. After trying several settings over the past year I'm finding I like the RMC1 setting the best for everything.