PDA

View Full Version : anybody tried the carr hammerhead?

tom
02-18-2005, 06:46 PM
interesting alternative to the rambler maybe? and they make a head which would be cool for me.

Suriel Zayas
02-19-2005, 09:29 AM
yikes!!!!!! tom, should i call steve back and get one of each? i'll take.....1-rambler, 1-hammerhead (head), 1-slant 6v, 1-mercury....wrap them all to go.

Stan Malinowski
02-19-2005, 09:48 AM
I have a Carr Mercury and a Rambler, both are top notch. The Hammerhead has always interested me but the potential lack of true, clean tones frightens me a bit. I can always overdrive the Mercury or Rambler with a pedal, but you can't buy a pedal that makes an overdriven amp clean.

Suriel Zayas
02-19-2005, 11:07 AM
stan, +1 - just the point, but i'll still take one of each. when you decide which to use is it about a particular tone over the other or just wattage?

tom
02-19-2005, 02:13 PM
it is tone and feel, not wattage. i never play into the rambler live with no pedal. the rambler is so sweet, but i always need a bit more aggressive sound. i love the rambler for listening to guitars at the shop, and love what it does with pedals, i'm just thinking about a bit nastier sound, and i hear the hammerhead is going to be available in head form.

tunacaster
03-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Tom, if you want a nasty sound with built in attenuator, you ought to check out the Aiken amps. ToneGurus, (I think they are) down your way has a couple. Low wattage amps, Marshall inspired.

sonsop
03-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Carr amps are really musical creations and the Hammerhead is great fun. I think the entire point of this amp is to stay fat and get really hairy in a lo-fi, supro, greasy sort of way. Really great for Billy Gibbons-esque blues, Neil Young-esque rock and more versatile than you might think.

tom
03-07-2005, 01:30 PM
steve is working on a head version of the hammerhead, and is going to let me check it out before too long. i see another andy in his future.

sonsop
03-08-2005, 12:13 AM
steve is working on a head version of the hammerhead, and is going to let me check it out before too long. i see another andy in his future.

HA! But which one of you is The Enabler?

tom
03-08-2005, 10:58 AM
i'd have to take credit/blame for starting it, but i think we are equally guilty.

Johnny Raz
03-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Tom, if you want a nasty sound with built in attenuator, you ought to check out the Aiken amps. ToneGurus, (I think they are) down your way has a couple. Low wattage amps, Marshall inspired.

I apologize for the spam, but I noticed you had mentioned the Aiken amps - I love mine and I plan to get a smaller (more in the wattage range of the Hammerhead) Aiken, so I've posted my Invader 30W head on this forum if you're interested:

http://www.andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?t=1855

Randall Aiken is moving his shop from GA to FL and will be out of production for a while, so I'm not sure what availability is going to be like for new...

Of course, I'd do a straight up trade for a Crowdster only for you, Mr. Tom Anderson - I don't even care about the color :)

tom
03-25-2005, 02:28 PM
tempting, but that is a bit too big, loud and heavy for me too.

wodka
04-15-2005, 10:34 AM
I tested the 1x12 purple Hammerhead at Willcutt's not that long ago. You can get a good clean tone out of it and a great overdrive sound without having to hurt your ears. I loved it. Great price too.

tom
04-15-2005, 12:50 PM
i've got one of the new HH II heads coming. steve's also got a 1x12 with an attenuator built in on the way.

wodka
04-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Tom,
Do you know the spec changes on the HH II apart from the new head form factor? Just curious.

tom
04-15-2005, 03:27 PM
he added a tone control. he said there are changes internally, but that stuff is over my head. i got the impression that improved rather than different would apply. more lively and dynamic are words he used. i'm pretty exited about it.

Suriel Zayas
04-15-2005, 10:34 PM
i've got an hh2 coming my way and steve tells me it's pretty much the head format of the hh combo. it can handle 8 and 16 ohm loads. you can run a 4 ohm with a slight loss of power and a bit extra power tube wear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/surielz/HammerheadMKII0081.jpg
call steve he is taking orders.