PDA

View Full Version : My VHT and Line 6 XTL setup in depth (pic too!)

Scott Peterson
02-17-2005, 10:53 PM
I was private messaged about what I am doing now with the XTL.

In case you missed it and want to know, I bought the XTL when it first came out as a rig replacement option. My thought was to run the XTL into a clean monitor and have that be my rig for rehearsal and smaller shows when I didn't want to lug the full rig.

I experimented and tried lots of things including DI's, buffers, Tube DI's, Tube Buffers both before and after the XTL in all possible combinations. I ran it into a clean powered monitor, tube amp rigs (both in front of amps and into the effects loop return) and tried the Atomic Reactor 1x12 Tube combo that is built for exactly that roll.

The results ranged from good to outstanding, but didn't have the headroom, power, punch and feel of a good tube amp for me in the end. But I tried SO hard. Really.

I still like the XTL direct, and record with it that way for demos and practicing all the time.

But now, I am running it as a all-in-one effects unit and midi switcher in the loop of my VHT amps. I have a Pittbull 45 1x12 combo and a Pittbull 50/ST head. Both are extremely similar, though the 45 runs 4xEL84's and the 50 runs 2xEL34's.

Both offer switchable loops (on/off); reverb on/off; boost on either channel on/off and channel switching. I control all that from the Axess Electronics CFX-4. The XTL midi out goes to the CFX-4 behind my rig and then to the amp. In my backline I have always run a 2 space rack that holds a Furman PL-8 and a Furman AR-1215 regulator. In the back of it I run a One-spot to power the CFX-4. I have the Line 6 power supply feeding the Pedalsnake. The CFX and L6 power supply are attached to the inside of the rack with Dual-Loc which is nearly as sturdy as you can go with "velcro" type of stuff.

I use a Pedalsnake; which in effect gives me one cord between the backline and my pedalboard; which is the Line 6 POD XT Live. It sits all alone on stage; the Pedalsnake is 22' long. It breaks out to 4 midi like plugs that you buy ends for to adapt it to your needs. I run power out to the XTL, loop send, loop return and midi out from the XTL to the CFX all on the pedalsnake. I plug the guitar directly into the amp's input on a regular guitar cord.

The XTL has banks of 4 presets per bank.

I do each bank with 4 sounds in the same order each time from the amp. Clean w/reverb. Clean w/boost w/reverb. Dirty w/o reverb. Dirty w/boost w/o reverb.

I have Bank 1 (presets 1-4) all with loop off.
I have Bank 2 (presets 5-8) with chorus and delay on.
I have Bank 3 (presets 9-12) with trem and delay on.
I have Bank 4 (presets 13-15) with rotary and delay on.
I have Bank 5 (presets 16-19) with phaser and delay on.
I have Bank 6 (presets 20-23) with flanger and delay on.
I have Bank 7 (presets 24-27) with reverse delay on 100%
I have Bank 8 (presets 38-31) with Univibe and delay on.

I run bank two with the chorus off by default and that is my main bank. On all banks, I run the delay at about 6-8% wet. All effects listed are tied to tap tempo. I have a clean boost that I can set the volume gain on; wah; silent tuning; and compression or octave stuff also all selectable at any time from the pedal on all banks/presets. I could have a volume pedal too; but don't use it except on the reverse delay bank.

That's it.

I liken it to the power of a BIG Bradshaw rig with little coin and remarkably good sounds all tied to tap tempo set by me. It is a powerful yet seriously simple way to do this. Everyone that has heard/seen it is stunned. So am I.

It speaks well to the utter flexibility of the XTL, the genious of Mario at Axcess and the "why didn't I think of that!" simplicity and quality of the Pedalsnake. And having killer amps from VHT doesn't hurt either. :D

And a Pic of it all.

http://128.121.187.118/02-2005-VHT-TruTone-XTL-Rig.jpg