PDA

View Full Version : Why PRS when you can cobra

oscar100
12-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Maybe you guy can enlighten me why PRS guitars are reaching such crazy second hand prices now?

I worked in mid 80's for teh guys bringing them into the UK - 80's ones are now fetching $3000 + and some were v gd but nothing worth the current frenzy

so what is it = they play nic esound ok have gd woods but have nothing like the tone or versatility of a gd cobra

Ive raelly tried hard to like them and owned a number but i just dony get it....

:eek: :eek: :confused:

John C
12-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Jo,

The early PRS have become collectors items over here, which really drives up the prices. A good deal of the "collectability" is because they made so few in those early years compared to the 10,000 - 12,000 set neck models they currently produce annually. One also assumes Paul spent more time in the factory in 1985 than he does today.

The early ones also are prized because some of the evolutionary changes over the years have been seen as negatives (or portrayed as negatives by certain resellers who shall remain nameless). At any rate, here are some of the major changes:

Electronics: between 1985 and circa 1990/91 the pickups were changed, settings on the 5-way switch changed, "sweet switch" tone capactor replaced with a regular tone control

Design - added the 22-fret models circa 1992/93 with the first Artists, 22-fret neck featured larger neck heel; circa 1995 the neck heel on the 24-fret models was also extended by about 1/2"

Materials - older ones had a less "dipped in glass" finish that some confuse for nitro lacquer or as being "thinner" than the current finish. I believe someone proved that the current finish isn't significantly thicker, it just has different properties and doesn't sink into the wood the way the old finish did. Also, brazillian rosewood dropped from production guitars in 1991 due to import restrictions.

Production - early ones are considered "hand-made" even though the first factory used a duplicarver for bodies and necks. CNC put into production in 1995 and moved to new factory in 1996, so thanks to Mr. Nameless the newer ones are "robot made" and "factory". While there is still a lot of hand work done, there are likely less individual variances than in the duplicarver days. I should point out here that Mr. Nameless also considers Andersons to be criminally expensive for CNC/robot made guitars.

There are a lot of PRS collectors/players who consider the current ones as good or better than the old ones; it is just that PRS has become a major manufacturer and the originals are becoming the next group of "vintage" guitars and the price is going up accordingly.

John C.

oscar100
12-05-2003, 01:13 PM
interesting....that nameless person wouldnt be ed roman would it - he seems to be rather an opinionated so and so ...to put it politely!:mad:

John C
12-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Yep - the one and only.

It's amzing how many people take what's on his site as gospel. You have to hand it to him as a salesman - snake oil with just enough truth is a powerful message.

Oh, I never answered your question - having had 3 PRSi over the years and currently having none, at this point I would take a Cobra over a CU22, CU24 or McCarty. I was impressed with the new SC Trem model; I might have to A/B the two before committing to the Cobra. Don Grosh's set neck is a little too much in the Gibson camp to be in this mix and John Suhr's is still on the drawing board.

John C.

SteveK
12-05-2003, 09:23 PM
In addition to my hollow Cobra S, I also own 4 PRS guitars. A Hollowbody II with piezo, McCarty rosewood neck with a natural, 1 piece, 10 top, a Singlecut trem with a 10 top, and a Swamp Ash Special with the figured neck and board. They all sound different and feel the same. I really like the PRS guitars, just as I really like my hollow Cobra S. Come to think of it I really like my Thorn also...;)

JoeB63
12-06-2003, 10:13 AM
FWIW, I used to have 4 PRSs, now I have 1 -- and I now have 2 TA's (and thinking about #3).

I also have 2 Bakers and a bunch of other things. But I've completely lost interest in PRS. I don't know why, but it's probably because I'm tired of fancy tops.

jimmieb
12-07-2003, 06:09 AM
Gentlemen,

This discusion has gone on since the Anderson Neolithic Era. The PRS is a very diffent bird. The feel is more LP, at least the Custom 22's, and McCarty. In that regard the feel and playablity the Cobra is soooo much more ergonomic to the body, arm, and hand. Cobra's are simply the more comfortable axe, as far as tone goes, that is subject to the ear of the player. I own a Custom 22 and 2 Cobra's. I prefer the Cobra because it feels great on, all three sound diffent. My T shape Cobra is my fav I simply connect best to it. I cop a mean Santana vibe with it, better than the PRS, go figue? I guess it's the fact that I'm most comfortable with it... It just feels good.
As to the reason PRS has a greater resale... First PRS has a new and different body shape, which separates itself in a collectors market. This drives up the price. Second, PRS as a company is very large in comparison to TA. PRS is higher profile which creates
more of a buzz over TA. Let's see what happens to resale value in twenty or thirty years with fewer guitars produced of better quality.

Jimmie B

John Price
12-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Tom Anderson guitars just have a classic vibe to them, one that I have never felt from any other guitar manufacturer. They really come alive in a live situation and when doing recordings the tones are hard to beat! but you all new that already!!:D