PDA

View Full Version : polishing fretboard?

harrellab
02-06-2005, 09:31 PM
I have a Madagascar rosewood fretboard and it's definitely time to polish it again. I can't remember exactly how to do this, so I was hoping someone could help. I emailed Tom about this probably over a year ago and he gave me a really good answer...I should have saved the email, doh!!

I remember that I used lemon oil but I don't remember how much to use...a little or a lot, and are you supposed to let it air dry or wipe it off soon?

Thanks!

Adam

harrellab
02-06-2005, 09:32 PM
...and what type of cloth? I think I used a cotton T-shirt last time.

Suriel Zayas
02-06-2005, 11:27 PM
adam, you might want to check this out.

fret board cleaning and polishing (http://www.gibson.com/magazines/amplifier/1997/12/tip.html)

peace.

suriel

harrellab
02-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks Suriel, that helps a lot! I'm a little scared about the fret polishing part though...afraid I wouldn't do it right and mess them up. Maybe I'll just do the lemon oil on the fretboard part. Have any of you guys polished frets using that method?

killerburst
02-07-2005, 10:29 AM
If you have stainless frets, don't touch them with any abrasives (sandpaper, steel wool, etc.) If you have nickel silver (guessing you do from your signature) you can get great results with just 0000 steel wool. I suggest taping off your pickups so you don't get stray steel fibers stuck to your pickups. Also be careful not to get steel fibers on your polishing cloth. One fiber stuck between your cloth and your finish can be heartbreaking.

harrellab
02-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Cool, thanks for the help killerburst. I've always heard it's bad to remove all the strings at once...messes up neck or something? Would be much easier to polish frets and fretboard without the strings in the way though.

killerburst
02-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Best not to leave the strings off for an extended period, that's true. But taking them off for half an hour to clean and polish the guitar once a quarter won't hurt anything.

dkaplowitz
02-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Best not to leave the strings off for an extended period, that's true. But taking them off for half an hour to clean and polish the guitar once a quarter won't hurt anything.

So taking all the strings off more frequently than once every several months might not be good for the neck? Oddly enough I've only heard this recently after over 20 years owning guitars. Though I've never had any neck problems, I've always taken all the strings off to change them, which I seize as an opportunity to clean some of the funk off the fingerboard and from between the pickups, etc. I'd never do it though if there was a chance of some type of prolonged damage, or misalignment.

tom
02-07-2005, 11:54 AM
taking them off to clean and change strings is no problem. i think what kb was saying is it's not a great idea to leave tension off the neck for extended periods, and i would agree with that.

dkaplowitz
02-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Ahhh...cool. Thanks for clarifying, Tom. I was worried maybe I was doing something foolish unwittingly.

Cheers,

Dave

Guitarded
02-07-2005, 09:10 PM
If you have stainless frets, don't touch them with any abrasives (sandpaper, steel wool, etc.)
I am familiar with the polishing technique referred to by Suriel's link... what is the deal with stainless frets, though?... enlighten me, please...

killerburst
02-07-2005, 09:38 PM
I am familiar with the polishing technique referred to by Suriel's link... what is the deal with stainless frets, though?... enlighten me, please...

Anderson guitars use stainless steel frets (you probably knew that). The frets are much harder than nickel/silver and come highly polished from the factory. Since they don't corrode and take forever to show any wear, you don't really have to polish them anyway. But if you were to polish them, you would need a very fine abrasive polish, machine applied.