PDA

View Full Version : Eric Johnson Signature Model Strat

killerburst
02-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Anybody else intrigued by this (by intrigued, I mean already ordered one)?:
http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0117702

mwoeppel
02-06-2005, 11:44 PM
A friend of mine has his tech work done by the same guy that does EJ's.

He was telling me today the tech (in Austin) says this guitar is one of the best all around guitars Fender has produced in a while. Get one.

It ought to be pretty cool! Can't wait to try one out - maybe by the time they're available, I'll be able to play! :p

michaelomiya
02-07-2005, 01:25 AM
here's some shots of the EJ model (ignore the models, and note the white one behind the glass!). Also, on the lower left of the 2nd pic, the logo that was embossed on the neck plate w/ "EJ" is blown up. The necks had a tiger flame, and felt like a 0.30" oversize TAG neck (IMHO). Frets looked/felt like TAG medium (similar height as the 6105 SS but w/ a narrower base). Price tag? unknown. VERY understated. It probably kills tonewise!! Of course, I'll be the price tag does as well! :p

http://www.members.cox.net/eddyrox/fenderchow.jpg

http://www.members.cox.net/eddyrox/fenderomiya.jpg

tom
02-07-2005, 01:28 AM
so what makes it "special" other than the fingerboard radius?

dpeterson
02-07-2005, 08:10 AM

must be the tone of that gnarly neckplate. i always wondered why you etch your serials on the plate.. ;)

dave

mwoeppel
02-07-2005, 09:38 AM

I think the pickups are unique to this guitar.

killerburst
02-07-2005, 10:19 AM

Tough to call any production Fender "special" when compared to your guitars, Tom. I could point out what differentiates this guitar from other Fender USA production guitars, though.

1) Thin nitro finish: normally reserved for Custom Shop pieces, this is the first USA Artist model with a nitro finish. Even the US reissue models have a poly undercoat beneath a nitro topcoat. Not saying this is good but it is a marketable feature.
2) Quartersawn neck
3) Custom neck shape- V tapering to C
4) 12" radius and medium frets- great for guys who want a very traditional guitar with a little more playability
5) Custom pickups
6) Custom pots- 375k
7) Custom wiring (yawn)
8) Vintage tooling specs on the trem block, allowing for more mass.
9) No string tree- staggered Klusons
10) Smoother neck contours (heel and headstock transitions)
11) Shallower pickup routes
12) Countersunk pickup screws
13) All bodies are 2 piece alder and weight-restricted within 4 oz.
14) No paint between the trem block and the underside of the trem plate- allows for direct metal-metal contact
15) No trem cavity cover plate (or screw holes)
16) 10-52 guage strings
17) Thinner headstock

Can't say whether any of these "features" actually have any merit at all. The main reason I'm intrigued is because I've always loved EJ's tone and playing. It would just be cool to have one.

michaelomiya
02-07-2005, 11:27 AM

IMHO, nothing! EVERYONE that picked it up, said the SAME thing as I did, "for the $, I'd get an Anderson!".

tom
02-07-2005, 11:34 AM
i didn't mean anything in a degrading way, i just have a hard time know what is really different about all the different strats. how many models do they make, like 300?

pappy
02-07-2005, 12:02 PM
That's exactly how I feel. Despite all the 'unique' features, it's still a Strat. 99.9% of the population wouldn't be able to tell if I was playing a $150 Korean Strat or a $3000 Custom Shop...

Pappy

killerburst
02-07-2005, 01:02 PM
99.9% of the population wouldn't be able to tell if I was playing a $150 Korean Strat or a $3000 Custom Shop...

Pappy

... or an Anderson, or a Jay Turser, or a Warmoth parts-o-caster, for that matter.

For all I know, I may never even play the thing. It might suck and I'll flip it in a couple weeks (as I've done with every other Fender I've owned). But I can get it cheap, so I'll break even or better if it doesn't work out. All-in-all, it's a hero-worship thing, not a "Wow! What a great guitar!" thing. I've never bought a sig model before, but this one has pressed the right button.

EVERYONE that picked it up, said the SAME thing as I did, "for the $, I'd get an Anderson!".

It's actually a bit less $ than a TAG ($2299 MSRP w/ case). But putting a production Fender next to any TAG is certainly no contest, that's for sure.

Just to clarify, lest anyone think I've switched brands of Kool-Aid, I'm NOT interested in this BECAUSE it's a Fender- I'm interested DESPITE that fact. It's all about the EJ mojo, baby.

michaelomiya
02-07-2005, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=killerburstJust to clarify, lest anyone think I've switched brands of Kool-Aid, I'm NOT interested in this BECAUSE it's a Fender- I'm interested DESPITE that fact. It's all about the EJ mojo, baby.[/QUOTE]

+1!! You GO! :p

tmihm
02-08-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm afraid an EJ model wouldn't help me to play or sound any better.... :(

...or any more like EJ :p

I do love Strats though, and could never be without mine :) All I used for years was my trusty Strat. Now...since I bought the Rosewood Hollow T - it's sitting patienly as a backup. 'Night and Day' comparison - I know...but just sticking up for Strats in general :D

dkaplowitz
02-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Good luck with the EJ siggy, Killerburst. I'd probably rock one if I wasn't tied up with your HDT and with the HDT Tom's making me in May/June. Hopefully I'll get to try one of these somewhere in my area.

morty
02-08-2005, 10:33 AM
It seems like everybody are talking negative about Fender.. It seems like its not cool to play a Fender..

I must admit I love my Tom Anderson guitar, but it dont mean I can`t play other guitars!! I think you have to be openminded about guitars and appreciate qualities and different features from guitar to guitar..

We must all remember that Leo Fender made the strat for all of us! and all the strats in the world has Fenders basic shape and construction..

But an assemblyline produced Fender in big volums, can never have the finish and detail quality as an handmade and low volume produced guitar...

I have a Fender Prodigy and it is a very lightweight guitar with good sustain(even more than my Anderson,unplugged)and big sound. its not big on middle but have nice bottom and that classic strat high.It also have a HB in bridge, and it was a project from Fender who leaded to the Fat Strat..I bought it new in 91, and it has realy been reliable. I have put on graphite nut and adjusted it to my style and needs trough the years and it have a perfect setup.. when I take it to a service to my guitarshop for neckdressing or other things, they always comment that this Fender is realy a good guitar..

it was a bit out of the Question, but I just wanted to say wath I mean about Fender! And sorry if anyone feel that i am talking degrading twoards them.. It`s not my intention..

dkaplowitz
02-08-2005, 11:41 AM
I dunno, I kinda' like all guitars for one thing or another. I was at a party a couple months back and there was a really beat up no name acoustic with 3 or 4 strings on it (that were about 2" away from the fingerboard) and I had plenty of fun playing it.

Though I like the superstrats made by Tom and other notable luthiers, I'm not particularly prejudiced against one non-boutique instrument or the other, unless there's some undue hype about it...and even then I'd probably enjoy playing it if I didn't have something I liked better nearby.

dannopelli
02-12-2005, 10:58 PM
I agree that Strat's have their place. Of course you can't expect a company that does not subscribe to the quality levels that TAG does to produce consistently fine instruments.

But come on guys, we all probably at one time or another have had and loved a Strat. Many still do so. In fact I have a few still. Yes I had to pick through quite a few to find the right ones. Unlike ordering a TAG and just knowing it will be perfect out of the box.

But so what. That experience was fun. I really like my Strats and do use them from time to time.

So yes I am intrugued by the EJ. I probably would not get one becasue I am not so sure about the specs, but again, I will withold judgement till I try one. I am pretty sure that it will be a nice instrument.

Ian Hurtt
02-24-2005, 09:44 AM
I'll check this one out when I get a chance. I think it's a good idea, and Fender should sell a ton of them to either guys who love EJ or guys wanting a more modern radius on a vintage style guitar.

I have several Fender CS strats, and my main strat has a special shaped neck that a friend of mine at Fender did for me. Kind of like the "V" to "C" shaped profile, but meatier than the average strat. Really great playing neck, I wish strat guy could try it. Some people just have to play Fenders, just like some people have to play PRS, or Andersons, you get the idea.

And, I like the funky neckplate!

bruce
02-25-2005, 03:14 AM

You guys missed the one thing that makes this Strat different ...It's got 4 trem springs.

nick
02-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Yet another "signature" model from Fender......enough is enough already!! :D