PDA

View Full Version : shipping outside USA

funalij
02-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi everybody

Firstly I have to say I respect all oppinions you can write about this thread

I live in Spanish, there is no TAG dealer in this country. Not so long ago (May 2004) I played a TA clasic :eek: from a friend of mine. In these moment I knew it was the guitar I was looking for.

On June I found the guitar I wanted but I can't get 'cause seller don't ship out USA (I respect his opinion).
I was lucky to find some friend of a friend of mine in California (I have to take some beers with her :D ) and finaly I could do the trade (seller shipped to my friend in CA, and a friend of her brought to Spain. (I remember I couldn't sleep that night waiting for the guitar)

The question is:
¿Why people don't ship out of USA? (buyer pay shippment even) :confused:

Sorry if my english is not good or someone don't understand me.

Thanks in advance
Javier

sylvanshine
02-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Javier-

I would say it's one of the following:

1) Fear of getting ripped off
2) Inexperience with shipping overseas. We can get anything in this country we want shipped to our doors overnight, so we are not used to dealing internationally.
3) We live in a great country, but some Americans can be pretty stupid about the rest of the world.

That is my opinion of course. And your English is very good, don't worry. Much better than my Spanish.

Stan Malinowski
02-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Why people don't ship out of USA?

For me, it is the paperwork and the added expense of having to travel to the FedEx Depot (about 25 miles one way) when something needs to go international. I normally ship from my friend's hardware store but because of all the additional paperwork he won't ship out of the US.

On the other hand, I recently sold a pickguard to Baard, a forum member from Norway. Because the item was small and inexpensive I was able to drop it in a International Priority Mail envrelope from the US Postal Service. Only needed to fill out one short form. If the item had been larger or more expensive the amount of paperwork would have soared and I probably passed on the deal.

pluto
02-02-2005, 05:23 PM
I remember someone in Spain was interested in a guitar I was selling-was it you Javier? I forgot. For myself personally, it's ignorance as well as wanting to live a stress free life. I have no idea on how to send out anything to another country, whether I have to fill out different papers, etc. For me, it's just less of a hassle not trying to learn something new I guess. The other thing for me is that I have to send the item from Hawaii-which is a long way from other countries. I would guess the shipping from Hawaii to anyplace in Europe would be astronomical and not worth it for the person buying the item from me. The last thing is the risk of damage because of the long voyage. If it's a pedal, or something small like that, I guess I wouldn't mind sending it overseas. But, with respect to something big like an amp or guitar, I would worry too much.

taclassic
02-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Javier,

I try to avoid it due to two bad experiences. The first one went well for the most part, but there was no tracking info for the shipping price the guy was willing to pay for. It scared me that it would never make it. It ended up taking about a month for it to arrive due to customs. That was enough stress on me. The second experinece turned into a bad one because the guy stopped communicating with me and ended up buying two other Andersons on Ebay after supposedly buying mine. Needless to say I was a little ticked. Other than extra paper work and as long as folks are willing to pay extra for a tracking number then things should be ok.

Sorry about your experiences.

Ruben

funalij
02-02-2005, 06:13 PM
I undestand better the reasons now.

I guess it's more complex to send out USA (paperwork, shipment place, etc...)

Thanks (Stan, Ruben, Pluto, Sylvanshine) for your answers

I remember someone in Spain was interested in a guitar I was selling-was it you Javier? I forgot.
Hi pluto, I wasn't , maybe it was a guy called Carlos (celvira), A week ago he bought a Cobra with piezo (He has a very good guitar collection).

18-05-04A
Ruben, It's curious, I have 18-05-04C. We have the same birth guitar day

pluto
02-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I undestand better the reasons now.

I guess it's more complex to send out USA (paperwork, shipment place, etc...)

Thanks (Stan, Ruben, Pluto, Sylvanshine) for your answers

Hi pluto, I wasn't , maybe it was a guy called Carlos (celvira), A week ago he bought a Cobra with piezo (He has a very good guitar collection).

Ruben, It's curious, I have 18-05-04C. We have the same birth guitar day

That's right-it was Carlos! I'm glad he got a cobra because I think he was interested in buying one of the cobras I sold. Thanks.

taclassic
02-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Javier,

Interesting how our guitars are brothers of the same birthdate. How do you like the VAs? I am glad you were able to get an Anderson despite the lack of shipments out there. They are some awesome guitars.

Ruben

mwoeppel
02-02-2005, 10:24 PM
I have shipped many things out of the us, and it is a big hassle. Extra paperwork, I have to go stand in line, it takes half a day just to ship it.

I have lost 2 guitars in shipping; a custom shop strat and a custom shop jazzmaster. Both were "lost" during shipping, niether company made good on the insurance. Both buyers lost a lot of money, and I had to deal with MORE paperwork.

Life is too short to put up with this kind of crap.

tstone
02-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Hi!

My first post here, although I've been reading this forum with great interest since I found it maybe a year ago. I live in Norway, which means that I'm affected by the "won't ship internationally" problem.

Funalij, you should check out if there are companies in Spain offering a "U.S" postal address/p.o. box for you, like www.myUS.com.

These companies enable the SELLER to send his shipment to an address in the States. Once a week or so, they fill a container with this week's shipments, and send it to your country. They declare your shipment through customs, and send it to your home address when it's been declared. You will have to pay their shipping charge and eventual customs charges on delivery.

Advantages: It's cheaper than UPS/FedEX international, and it enables you to buy from all sellers on Ebay, stores, etc..
You pay for weight/volume of your total shipment that week, so if you buy 4 pickups, a pickguard, 2 necks and a set of tools, all from different stores, they will pack it all in one box. You then pay for only ONE box, instead of paying international shipping on every single item - this is were the huge savings can be made.

Disadvantages: It takes a little longer (U.S shipping + wait time + international shipping + customs + spanish postage). Usually 2-3 weeks, depending on shipment size.

Good luck! :D

funalij
02-06-2005, 08:10 AM
thanks everybody for your anwers.

Funalij, you should check out if there are companies in Spain offering a "U.S" postal address/p.o. box for you, like www.myUS.com.

Tstone:
Very interesting. I will investigate it
thanks

Interesting how our guitars are brothers of the same birthdate. How do you like the VAs?
for me the VAs are vintage sound (I prefer VA1 y VA2 than VA3), but I can´t compare from any other anderson pickup, I have got only one TA.
I hope this summer I will have a Cobra (if I find someone who wants ship to Spain ;) or I find a U.S" postal address like tstone said)

Javier