PDA

View Full Version : Favorite musicians who don't play guitar????

olectric
01-31-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey guys--

It seems that guitar players are known for only listening to other guitar players, only buying guitar albums, or picking the guitar parts out of every song they hear on the radio and measuring themselves by it. I would like to think that Anderson players just aren't that shallow and that we take inspiration from--and notice excellent musical creativity in--various musicians who don't play guitars. Here are my top three:

Joshua Redman, sax, "Freedom in the Groove," "Elastic"
John Coltrane, sax, any recordings
Sam Yahel, organ, heard on Josh Redman's "Elastic."

There they are--incredible musicians. Sam can play the FUNKIEST basslines with his feet and/or left hand on that organ.

Stan Malinowski
01-31-2005, 05:24 PM
Yanni (just kidding!) :eek:

You mean there are instruments other than a guitar?

killerburst
01-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Michael Brecker
Bob Berg
Kenny Kirkland
Herbie Hancock
Dennis Chambers
T. Lavitz
Mike Keneally (on piano)
Will Calhoun
Muzz Skillings
Jaco Pastorius
Joey Defrancesco
Miles Davis
Stuart Copeland
Joseph Zawinul (actually everybody that played with Weather Report)
Prince (on keys- his harmonic ideas are very poetic)
The keyboardist and drummer that played on Prince's Musicology tour- FRIGHTENING!
Michael Manring
Karl Denson (check out the sax solos on Lenny Kravitz' "Mama Said" album)
So many more. These guys all can give me goose bumps.

dkaplowitz
01-31-2005, 05:59 PM
I heard Zamfir doing Crazy Train recently. That was pretty fun. I think he got the solo pretty good.

Anyway, I am listening to a lot of guitar players right now b/c I'm trying to figure out what kinda' guitar tones I like best. But pure guitar music is pretty boring to me. I went to GIT back in 1987-88 and I honestly have a hard time listening to guys like Vai, Satch, Paul Gilbert, etc. after that experience. I guess I burnt myself out on the "music for the player's player" stuff.

But back on topic, I like outside stuff a lot, so when I'm not listening to any one of Zappa's 71+ recordings, I'll listen to a lot of Trane, Monk, Bill Evans, Eric Dolpy, Ornette Coleman, Miles, etc. And I'll basically listen to anything polyrhythmic or that's in extreme odd time signatures (as long as it's not too academic). That stuff fascinates me.

I'd like to check out some sitar too, but I don't have access to any good recordings, so for the time being that'll be on my wishlist.

Dave

sylvanshine
01-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Yo Yo Ma, cello
Joshua Bell, violin (featured in "The Red Violin")
Stevie Wonder

BFC
01-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Medeski, Martin, & Wood is a favorite.

olectric
01-31-2005, 07:28 PM
What about Charlie Hunter? Anybody else listen to that guy? He's sick! Go to www.charliehunter.com, and watch a video or two. He plays guitar and bass at the same time on a single instrument, so I think he sort of qualifies for this thread.

olectric
01-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Medeski, Martin, & Wood is a favorite.
If you like MMW, you should try to listen to Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey. JFJO is the same instrumentation as MMW, but they use a lot of weird effects and odd time signatures. They are a tough listen for sure, but they're absolutely awesome to watch live.

BFC
01-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Charlie Hunter is amazing, no doubt. The Living Daylights is a fun band also. I believe they were from the same area as Charlie Hunter. No guitar though. They were a sax, bass, and drums trio when I saw them live.

I'll have to check out JFJO.

Tom Gross
01-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Clifford Brown

Casper
02-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Phil Collins