PDA

View Full Version : All OTHER "boutique" Luthiers

michaelomiya
12-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Since this section's focus is on OTHER guitar companies, can we solicit the opinions, comments, thoughts of those who have played/owned axes by guys like James Tyler, Gerrard Melancon, Don Grosh, John Suhr, Wayne Charvel, GMW, etc.. I'd like to focus on luthiers whose output is below 1200-1500 units/year. I have noticed that all the websites are very visual and display stunning works of art!

I'm such an Anderson nut, that I've not really studied Tom's competition, to be at least conversant on the matter. I do know there are several Suhr fans out there, and Suhr's name seems to be mentioned whenever Tom's name is discussed on other boards (and vice versa).

Comments (and comparisons to the Anderson line) on tone, playability, build-quality, consistency, and to a lesser degree, aesthetics, would be appreciated.

SteveK
12-04-2003, 07:21 PM
I'm a Thorn devotee. I own Artisan Master #25, and have #'s 51 & 72 on order. You can check them out at www.thorninlay.com

Also in the idea stages of ordering a Jack Gretz guitar.

Hopefully this GAS won't EVER STOP!
:eek: :D

killerburst
12-04-2003, 07:39 PM
I owned a Melancon P90 Artist for about 6 months. Figured koa on hollow mahogany, mahogany neck w/ pau ferro fingerboard, 3 Duncan stacked P90s and a Gotoh trem (gold hardware). The Duncan stacks sounded best when split, which defeated the purpose of having stacks, I felt. The D string slot was cut too low so I had to send the guitar back right after I got it. It came back perfect. The neck felt great and the fit and finish were on par with anybody. It was a beautiful guitar, and played very well, but it was very heavy, especially for a chambered axe. I sold it it because it was too heavy for me. I was surprised at the weight, because I tried some of Gerard's mahogany guitars at NAMM a few years ago, and they were all nice and light. The guitar was made to my specs, even has my name penciled under the lacquer under the heel. He told me it was the first guitar he made with 6105 frets. It's a shame I had to sell it. Gerard was a true gentleman and a pleasure to deal with. I bumped into him at the Nashville NAMM show in July and he asked me how the P90 was. It broke my heart to tell him that I sold it, but he knew I wasn't 100% happy with the weight originally. I even offered to pay for a new body made from lighter mahogany. He said he didn't have any at that time. I never got comfortable with it, and so off it went.

mbrown3
12-16-2003, 03:13 PM
In addition to my Hollow Drop Top Classic, I also have a Baker B1. Totally different style of guitar, but amazing as well. No better, no worse, just different, and between the two I have almost all bases covered. They complement each other well. Here are the specs (also pic at http://www.wildwestguitars.com/pages/562.htm):

Carved Maple Top
Honey Burst
AAAAA Quilt
Mahogany Neck and Body
Bound Neck and Body
Rosewood Fretboard
Dimarzio Virtual Vintage/AirZone
TonePros Locking Bridge/Tailstop
Buzz Feiten Tuning System
2Volume/1Tone
3 Way Switch
Coil Tap Via Tone Knob
Gold Pearl Side Block Inlay
Grover Tuners
Neck Shape StanC.830/980
Scale 25.5
Frets 22
Wire 6155
Radius 12
Nut Width 1.650

Stan Malinowski
12-16-2003, 07:20 PM
In addition to the 4 Anderson's I own (2 Classics, 1 Hollow DT Classic and a Hollow Cobra S) I own the following "botique" guitars I own are:

1) Don Grosh Retro Classic
2) Jack Gretz Quilt Top Strat
3) Jack Gretz Quilt Top Solid Braz RW Neck Studio

The Grosh Retro gives the Anderson Classics an even run for the money. Great vintage feel and tone. Don used to be very interactive with his customers, less so now. First Class Workmanship, Playability & Tone.

Jack Gretz makes a very limited number of custom guitars. My first Gretz is a quilted top on a swamp ash body. Maple neck, brazilian board, trem, 3 Fralin single coils. Impeccable workmanship, playability & tone. Jack will take all the time in the world with you designing your own dream guitar.

Second Gretz is a quilted top on a swamp ash back. Set solid brazilain rosewood neck (90+ year old neck blank). H-S-H Rio Grande Pickups. Another great player!

I have previously owned 2 Melancon guitars, neither really did much for me. I owned a swamp ash strat model with a solid maple neck. Too heavy (8 lbs + - so much for light Lousiana swamp ash) and could never get a great tone out of it in spite of 2 pickup changes. Second Melancon was a Koa toped mahoghnay Artist. Finish problems (cracking), onc again too heavy and OK, but not great tone.

John C
12-16-2003, 09:43 PM
I've been around the block with a few of those builders; right now I have a Suhr Classic.

The Suhr and the Anderson are virtually equal in build quality. Tom makes a more modern guitar with a downsized body, while Suhr offer both a downsized body (the "Standard") and the "Classic" with the vintage Fender shape. Someone once described the Suhr guitars as "Fender Time Machines with modern features made to Tom Anderson's level of quality". I was searching for my ideal 50s-60s Strat, so I went with John. I would consider Tom's Classic with VAs to be the ideal "Woodstock through the 70's" Strat - a little more "in your face" and a little less "deep" than the Suhr V60LPs. In terms of support and contact, when I posted I was considering either an Anderson Classic or a Cobra, John emailed me to see why I was having second thoughts on his guitar. The emails led to a lengthy phone call discussing neck options. Besides Suhr and Anderson, I don't know where you would get that kind of proactive contact.

I have had a Grosh come through the ranks. It was a Bent Top Custom with a pickguard. Lovely quilt over mahogany, beautiful birdseye maple neck, great build quality. It seemed a bit more "home made"; everyone raves about the fretwork - while the frets were perfectly polished they were a bit uneven. Unless there was a neck humidity problem at the dealer before I got it (it was shipped to me from New York City), I wouldn't consider it quite up to Tom's or John's standards. Nice tones from Fralin pickups (it had a great low-power humbucker, the "Unbucker"), but in the end I didn't really get into the maple top, S-S-H configuration, and I found Don's body shape kind of cramped (it's full-Fender sized in length but more angular and thin).

I also have had a Melancon Pro Artist run through my hands. The overall build quality was good, at least as good as the Grosh but I wouldn't put it at Anderson/Suhr levels. I ordered it with Kinman pickups and absolutely hated the sound. I did a pickup swap, but found the guitar's voice was too bassy-midrangy for my tastes. The tone never grabbed me like a Suhr or Anderson.

Tyler - they are unique. I tried out a vintage style (also called a Classic) in Chicago but didn't connect with the neck. It had Suhr pickups, so for that sound I thought I would just go to the source itself.

John C.

John C
01-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by John C
Tyler - they are unique. I tried out a vintage style (also called a Classic) in Chicago but didn't connect with the neck. It had Suhr pickups, so for that sound I thought I would just go to the source itself.

John C.

Okay - I know it's bad Internet form to quote myself, but I have had a different experience with James Tyler. I was discussing neck shapes with Eddie Berman at Indoor Storm (I was thinking of renecking my Suhr) and our talk turned to other possiblities. He had just gotten in a couple of Tylers and mentioned one Studio Elite was really nice. He was getting ready to post sound clips that evening. As soon as I heard the clip, I made a huge impulse purchase and ordered the guitar.

I got it in the weekend before Christmas, and what a difference between this one and the Classic model I tried out earlier. The neck is full but not huge. Tyler makes his necks a little narrower than Tom or John. This one has nicely rolled edges and excellent fretwork. The wood/pickups combo is everything I would normally turn my nose up at - mamywo wood body (which is something in the basswood family), Duncan Classic Stacks (neck/middle) and JB Jr. bridge (I normally prefer straight single coils on strat-styles), "Psychedelic Vomit" finish (mine looks more tie-dyed than some). However, this is the real "close your eyes and play" guitar - it just takes me somewhere beyond anything I've owned before - very difficult to explain, but this is my perfect "hot rodded for classic rock" strat, despite the Dali-esque cosmetics.

Of course, this doesn't mean that a Cobra or Cobra S isn't in my future :D ; it just means that purchase is going to have to be deferred :( .

John C.

JoeB63
01-13-2004, 11:51 AM
I have 2 Andersons (Cobra and Classic) plus Pluto's Hollow Drop Top on the way.

I also have 2 Bakers, a B1 and an RF.

I've got a PRS Hollowbody 1, and a Fender Relic Strat. That's it for high-end electrics.

Despite having all of those, I only really play the Andersons these days (and occasionally the Bakers). That's why I'm interested in this Forum.

I've sold 3 PRSs (I had all 4 at one time for a while), a Melancon P90 Artist that I sold because it was too neck heavy for me (great guitar otherwise), and a McInturff Empress that I just didn't like (maybe the best looking guitar I've owned, and extremely well-made, but I didn't like the feel or the tone at all).

All I feel I need to round out my stable is a Tele-style guitar and an archtop.

mbrown3
01-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by JoeB63
I have 2 Andersons (Cobra and Classic) plus Pluto's Hollow Drop Top on the way.

I also have 2 Bakers, a B1 and an RF.

I've got a PRS Hollowbody 1, and a Fender Relic Strat. That's it for high-end electrics.

Despite having all of those, I only really play the Andersons these days (and occasionally the Bakers). That's why I'm interested in this Forum.

I've sold 3 PRSs (I had all 4 at one time for a while), a Melancon P90 Artist that I sold because it was too neck heavy for me (great guitar otherwise), and a McInturff Empress that I just didn't like (maybe the best looking guitar I've owned, and extremely well-made, but I didn't like the feel or the tone at all).

All I feel I need to round out my stable is a Tele-style guitar and an archtop.

Hey, cool stuff! Which do like better of the Bakers, the B1 or the RF? I LOVE my B1, but always liked the idea of the spruce topped RF.

JoeB63
01-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by mbrown3
Hey, cool stuff! Which do like better of the Bakers, the B1 or the RF? I LOVE my B1, but always liked the idea of the spruce topped RF.

For me, the RF kicks the B1's butt. But (obviously) I'm into Robben's tone and jazzy blues playing. If I were a classic rock sort of guy (which I am on occasion), the B1 would be a better choice. It does rock a little harder.

Stan Malinowski
01-14-2004, 07:45 AM

I'm in the same position as Joe, I am down to 3 PRSi (very little play time), Les Paul 59 Historic (some play time), Grosh Retro (some play time), Suhr Classic (moderate play time), 2 Fender CS Relics (moderate play time) and my 4 (soon to be 5) Andersons which get the MOST play time. My 2 Classics and my HDTC get most of the play time with the Cobra mixed in occassionaly. It seems that when I walk in my little home studio I am drawn to picking up one of the Andersons. Something about the feel just makes me want to play one of them.

Stys
01-14-2004, 04:39 PM
I went "Anderson Exclusive" earlier this year after I sold a 1988 PRS CE and EBMM EVH. I'm not knocking other guitars manufactured by other companies - I just love everything about Anderson guitars. Besides, after playing Anderson's, you get spoiled.

Fiesta Red
05-23-2005, 09:46 PM
I found this old thread after a search. I love GMWs. The necks are extremely comfortable -- the most comfortable I have played yet. Most are designed for the older Charvel enthusiasts, as Lee Garver originally worked at Charvel in the 80s. But they are much more, given the buyer has an imagination beyond his old Charvels. I have 7 GMWs, and they get the most playing time. I'd love to have an Anderson with a neck shape like my GMW.

-Mark

funalij
05-24-2005, 08:46 AM
My gear is not very longer (TA calssic, Gibson LP, Ibanez Jem7PBK, and Fernades R-8(this one I have just sold), but I have a friend of mine with a lot of very good guitars (LP, TA Classic, Cobra, Surh, Tyler studio elite HD, Tyler burning water, Melancom, Peavy wolfam and Tyler Dan Huff in course).

I have very impresive with Tyler Studio Elite (alder on maple with booster), really cool, good tone (it remembered me Michael Lee Firkins sound), frets are strange to me (not bad, only different).

Javier

MEP
05-24-2005, 10:18 PM
I have a Anderson Hollow T with contours with a H / S / H configuration. It has a smaller V - 15/8" neck. This is a very versitile guitar. I did have a Anderson HDT with a S/S/H but I traded it away (big mistake).

But the guitar that I have been spending a lot of time with lately is a Grosh Set Neck. The workmanship on this guitar is impeccable and I would say that it is easily on the same level of workmanship as Anderson's. It has a nitro-celluouse finish and it is much softer than the poly finish on the Anderson's. I personally like the Anderson finish, although I know that many sing the praise of nitro-cell. My Set Neck is a semi-hollow body with a solid top. The Set Neck has two Fralin pickups that are very smooth sounding and rich. The neck is Grosh's med/large round contour (it is almost like an acoustic guitar size) in a 1 11/16" size with a 12" radius. To me it is very comfortable and plays like butter.

It is the best set-neck guitar that I have played. To me it blows away PRS and even the historic LP's.

dkaplowitz
05-25-2005, 07:39 AM
I've tried and quite liked a couple of Tylers. I'd definitely rock one. Very resonant guitar, very different neck feel than Tom's (I think his standard cut is a lot thicker c shape), and I love his take on satin finish. It almost feels like there's rosen on the neck.

I've yet to play a Suhr that I like (I've tried about 5 now). I don't know what it is since everyone seems to compare them so much to Andersons. I find them night and day from each other feel-wise. And I've been open-minded about Suhrs...but every one I've tried at the local dealer is like a fight to play.

I'd still like to try out a Lentz and a Chapin, but I'm in no hurry (esp. to spend that much money).

I recently bought a Melancon Pro Artist T from Jack @ Magdon to round out my tonal choices and add a tele to my stable. This guitar is fast becoming my go to guitar. I don't know if it's the tele mojo (it's my first tele) or if it's Gerard's mojo, but it's a very simple nuts and bolts guitar, with a solid block of ultra light ash (if the guitar weighs 6lbs it weighs a lot). It sounds terrific and the .040 overcarve seems to be a really nice shape. Maybe I'm just a country boy at heart (who on the outside could be perceived as a tattooed pseudo-intellectual, pseudo-hipster north east Jew type). I'm sure there's tons of stuff that's made better, but for me it doesn't get much better than this. (Those guys at Medley music just got a butterscotch T from Tom that I really like...I think I may have to get one of Tom's with a + sized neck.)

I love my Anderson HDT, and I bought John C's beautiful Grosh (the one with the uneven frets ;) ), and I have an ES-175. They're all great guitars for what they do and I love having them around to play, but as good as they are it's tough to find one that I just bond with and love playing day in and day out (not to mention one I don't mind really beating on - maybe that's the real kicker).

I'm starting to think the ideal guitar collection would be 3 killer s/s/s strats and 3 killer teles all with simple finishes (why 3? I don't know b/c it's better than 2?). And then maybe 3 of something with humbuckers for a change. O yeah, I left out acoustics......ahhh never mind, I'm hopeless...this GAS will never end.

kirby323
05-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Regarding this resurrected thread about our favourite "other" boutique luthiers I would like to add David Thomas McNaught to the list. Dave, along with his partner Dave Mansel, crafts one of the finest guitars I've had the pleasure to play. I definately like my Anderson's and I feel Tom's instruments are great and much superior to the "big boys" (and I adore my Crowdster for my stage/studio acoustic work) plus I have an Atom on order that should arrive soon, so I must like 'em. In addition I also have a very nice quilted Suhr standard (I think you can see that I have a very severe case, almost fatal I'm afraid - or so says my wife, of GAS) but my two McNaughts are, in my opinion, the very pinnacle of hand crafted luthership.

These instruments are a craved top G-6 T (tele body shape) and a koa G-5 (flat top tele body shape) and they simply take my breath away. Everything about these instruments is impecable with a degree of fit and finish that is unsurpassed.

I was fortunate enough when my first McNaught was being built to be able to travel to North Carolina (a long way from western Canada) to meet and visit the two Daves and then select each piece of wood that went into the guitar. It made the instrument very special being a part of it's creation.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to voice my opinions.

Cheers,
Mark