PDA

View Full Version : Color Question

kccheers
01-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Guys, I found this guitar while looking thru Gbase, I think. The color listed is Black Cherry. Does anyone know whether that is a current color and could it be used on a FMT, like maybe a Black Cherry Burst?

Thanx in advance, Sam from KC

tom
01-30-2005, 07:49 PM
it's a deep red metallic finish, can't see the grain through it, so i don't think it would be what you are after.

kccheers
01-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Great! That means I need 2 TAG's....one Solid color and another FMT! Thanx Tom. Seriously, I could do one with the Black Cherry as a solid color. It happens to be in my favoite spectrum of colors.

killerburst
01-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Great! That means I need 2 TAG's....one Solid color and another FMT! Thanx Tom. Seriously, I could do one with the Black Cherry as a solid color. It happens to be in my favoite spectrum of colors.

For a translucent finish in that color range, check out trans plum. The guitar pictured below on the right is trans plum over quilted maple.

http://tinypic.com/c6k4o

tom
01-30-2005, 09:15 PM
black cherry is a cool color, i did one of the atom proto's that way. it looks black in dim lights, but deep red with lights.

kccheers
01-31-2005, 07:57 AM
Killerburst, those are Awesome! What is the color of red on the far left one?

kccheers
01-31-2005, 07:58 AM
Tom, one more question. What options are there to try and insure a darker RW fretboard, such as in KB middle guitar in the pic. Thanx in advance

Stan Malinowski
01-31-2005, 08:07 AM
What options are there to try and insure a darker RW fretboard, such as in KB middle guitar in the pic.

I've found the most consistently "dark" rosewood boards on my Andersons are those made of Madagascar RW.

killerburst
01-31-2005, 08:32 AM
Killerburst, those are Awesome! What is the color of red on the far left one?

That's not an Anderson, but it's extremely close to Tom's Cajun Red. Tom just showed a new red at NAMM that was pretty cool, too.

killerburst
01-31-2005, 08:34 AM
Tom, one more question. What options are there to try and insure a darker RW fretboard, such as in KB middle guitar in the pic. Thanx in advance

The guitar in the middle has an Indian rosewood fingerboard. Far left is Brazilian rosewood. Far right is not rosewood at all, but pao ferro. Most of the Madagascar rodewood I've seen is very dark.

Stan Malinowski
01-31-2005, 08:41 AM
Madagascar RW also "oxides" to a dark reddish/brown color over time. It doesn't get lighter but a slight reddish hue develops. Looks killer with red colored/shaded guitars!

tom
01-31-2005, 12:08 PM
if you want dark indian rosewood, just ask for it. it varies greatly from dark to chocolat brown, to red stripes, to greenish yellow stripes. most all the rosewoods oxodize over time to a darker shade. madagascar is bright red when freshly cut. it sometimes retains some of it's red color, but mostly it turns dark.

Turrican
01-31-2005, 02:40 PM
Killerburst, i have to tell you, your plum DT is one of the most beautiful guitars there are! dotless fretboard. no binding and a floyd! keep those pics coming!

killerburst
01-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Tom was the chef, I just looked over the menu and ordered what I was in the mood for. But thanks for the compliment! And thanks to Tom for making such a tasty treat!

There's some better pics in this old thread:
http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?t=812

funalij
01-31-2005, 03:35 PM
Tom,

How did we know what kind of rosewood fingerboard each guitar has been built? It is not specified in serial number search (my TAG is 18-05-03C).

thanks

Javier

Stan Malinowski
01-31-2005, 03:46 PM
How did we know what kind of rosewood fingerboard each guitar has been built? It is not specified in serial number search (my TAG is 18-05-03C).

If the type of rosewood used does not appear in the "Neck Woods" section the assumption is that is is Indian Rosewood. Upgrades to Madagascar or Pao Ferro are usually noted in as something like:

Neck Wood: Hard Rock Maple Neck, Madagascar Rosewood

Run a serial number search on my Fiesta Red Classic 01-05-02P and you'll see what I mean.

funalij
01-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks Stan ;)

BFC
01-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Tom,

thanks

Javier

Javier,
That guitar was ordered with Indian Rosewood for sure. I prefer it on Classics.

Brian