PDA

View Full Version : Bogner amps

harrellab
01-29-2005, 07:34 PM
I played a Bogner amp today for the first time. It was a Shiva 1x12 combo and the clean channel sounded amazing with my Hollow T. They're very expensive, but man did it sound good. I know there are some Bogner people out there and was just wondering how you like them and what your favorite models are, etc. Thanks!

crash
01-29-2005, 08:59 PM
I borrowed a Shiva (6L6 version with reverb, 1x12) for weekend gig a while back and it was incredible. The clean sound was amazing, and I was knocked over by the B channel as well - man, it just roared. If I were ever to go back to a 2-channel amp, that amp would be a contender.

I have used a Metropolis a few times and as far as class-A EL84 amps go, it's right up there. If you dig the Vox-AC30 vibe, but with reverb and some cool voicing options, that's a must-try. There are sound samples on the Bogner site - they're worth checking out, even if it's just to listen to Randy Jacobs' playing!

pluto
01-29-2005, 11:07 PM
I've owned a bunch of Bogner stuff: Shiva 6L6 head, Uberschall, the oversized 2x12, the 4x12 Uberkab, and the little 1x12 cube cab. I've also played a Shiva EL-34 head, a 101B and 100B XTC along with the standard 4x12 (all vintage 30s), so really the only thing I haven't played is the Metropolis along with some cabs. Bogner makes great stuff-his amps have a very unique characteristic in the mids. People say it's the low-mids. Personally, I don't know, it just sounds like Bogner. It's not Marshall, not Fender, not Soldano, not Hiwatt, not (fill in the blank). Great master volumes on the XTC and Uber, pretty good master on the Shiva-so low volume great tones are easy to achieve on those amps. Perfect for bedroom rockers and guys who gig. That being said, however, I do find the Bogner amps to be a bit overpriced and with certain flaws in each amp. For example, the Shiva has a great clean tone, but the 2nd channel is great for chords, but junk for solos unless you re-eq the whole thing. Also, the loop stinks. The Uber has a great 2nd channel for riffs, but a too stiff for leads, and a horrible clean channel. It's a little one dimensional unless you re-eq the amp, and that's impossible to do on the fly. The XTC has a horrible clean channel too, but I do like the red channel and am mixed on the blue channel. I wish Bogner could make a 3 channel amp with the Shiva clean, Uber 2nd channel, and XTC red channel and with a plexi option on the red channel. That would be a great metal amp. I really think Bogner would have a huge winner if he could do that, but then again, he looks like he's doing well already with his current products. I like Bogner-he makes quality stuff and the people there are really nice, but since I've been turned into a Marshall freak by someone on this forum, I've sold all my Bogner gear and don't regret a thing.

michaelomiya
01-30-2005, 05:14 PM
...but since I've been turned into a Marshall freak by someone on this forum, I've sold all my Bogner gear and don't regret a thing.

so.....tell us how you really feel about Bogner :eek: :p

JMintzer
01-30-2005, 05:53 PM
I've got a Bogner Shiva EL-34/Reverb Head w/a Bogner 1X12 Cab. I used to have the combo, but the sheer weight of it made it difficult to lug around.

I love it with my Cobra as well as my PRS guitars. Killer amp! The cleans are nice and chimey and the OD channel is real ballsy. Great for classic rock!

Jamie

sylvanshine
01-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Finding the right Bogner for you can be a quest. Each model is very different. I own an Ecstasy Classic, an Ecstasy 101B and a Shiva 1x12 combo. They all excel at one thing IMHO. The Shiva wins for cleans, the Ecstasy wins for mid to high gain crunch and the Ubershall obviously has the very high gain ground covered (don't own one but have heard it numerous times).

However, as mentioned already the other channels are usually a compromise. Point being, for me, the blue channel on the Classic is my sound. The green channel is passable for cleans. The red channel I use for a solo boost. I've come to personally not dig the Shiva gain. It's very good, but is too dark and muddy for my style. I keep it in case I have a gig where I need a combo.

In the Ecstasy models, I find the Classic far superior in tone to the 101B. But I'd take a 101B over a Shiva anyday.

While I respect and appreciate the Marshall afficianados in the world, I've never personally heard or played a Marshall that gets close to the Ecstasy in terms of flexibility- 3 channels, killer effects loop, Plexi mode, boost, Class A/AB, Full/Half power, usable master volume.

It's a fun search to find YOUR amp,even if it isn't a Bogner. They have some good soundclips on their site that can narrow down your choice. Good luck!

pluto
01-31-2005, 05:29 PM
In the Ecstasy models, I find the Classic far superior in tone to the 101B. But I'd take a 101B over a Shiva anyday.

While I respect and appreciate the Marshall afficianados in the world, I've never personally heard or played a Marshall that gets close to the Ecstasy in terms of flexibility- 3 channels, killer effects loop, Plexi mode, boost, Class A/AB, Full/Half power, usable master volume.

Ah, I forgot about the XTC classic. That's another one that I've never played (but heard at the store when someone else was playing it). I agree that when it comes to versatility, it's hard to beat an XTC.

pluto
01-31-2005, 05:34 PM
so.....tell us how you really feel about Bogner :eek: :p

Ahhh, Mikey, I like Bogner still yet. His amps have a very distinct characteristic about them and they sound great at bedroom volumes. That being said, I would take a Marshall over a Bogner any day. A Superlead or Masterlead have the best crunch tone (IMO of course), perfect lead tone with an overdrive slamming the front end, and a killer clean tone with the volume rolled down. That arrogant jerk SOB who got me into Marshalls blew my "boutique is best" theory right out of the water. ;)

dkaplowitz
01-31-2005, 05:51 PM
That arrogant jerk SOB who got me into Marshalls blew my "boutique is best" theory right out of the water. ;)Are you talking about vintage Marshalls, or their recent stuff? Those are pretty bold assertions you make. I'd like to hear more about this (if you can steer me to the threads where you were convinced to try them out, I'd appreciate that too). I have a Peavey XXX that I recently bought but am having a really hard time liking so my plans are to buy something else, but I haven't even begun to do the kinda' research I should have done before buying the XXX.

Cheers for any help.

Dave

pluto
01-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Are you talking about vintage Marshalls, or their recent stuff? Those are pretty bold assertions you make. I'd like to hear more about this (if you can steer me to the threads where you were convinced to try them out, I'd appreciate that too). I have a Peavey XXX that I recently bought but am having a really hard time liking so my plans are to buy something else, but I haven't even begun to do the kinda' research I should have done before buying the XXX.

Cheers for any help.

Dave

Sorry for the bold assertions. I'm just being way over enthusiastic after playing my Cameron modded Superlead and stock JMP 2204 yesterday. When I'm talking about my Marshall experience, I'm going by the Marshall amps I own only-the Cameron modded SL, Cameron modded JCM800 2203x, the stock JMP 2204 and a stock 1970 Superlead. I have no experience with the "new" Marshalls (non reissues) like the TSL and DSL series amps so I have absolutely no opinion as to those amps. I love the amps that I own and to my ears, they do everything I want in an amp. No, they don't have a zillion knobs on them, don't have any channel switching capabilities, and with the exception of the 2203x, don't even have an fx loop. But, what these amps have is the tone that I grew up with. Boutique amps are cool, I would never discourage anyone from buying a Bogner, Soldana, Diezel, etc. After all, it's that person's money and that person's ears that need to be satisfied. And, boutique amps sound great if you're after that particular tone. My only advice is go and play as many amps as you can through your guitar and at the relevant volumes that you play your amps at. Listen with your ears, don't look at the logo on the front, and make up your mind as to what sounds best to you. Reviews are just reviews. They'll give you a good indication as to what the amp will generally sound like, but really the only thing I like to read about is the issue of reliability. I've just spent way too much $$ on amps boutique and non boutique, based on reviews, only to be disappointed by the tone of those amps. Just my 2 cents.