PDA

View Full Version : New from the land of corn, indy cars and mellencamp...

crash
01-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey, all.

Finally getting around to posting the official first 'I'm new' note. Am not an Anderson owner yet, but having borrowed a few in my day, I am ruined for lesser dreams. It's really only a matter of time...

I just need to hear a koa Cobra S to seal the deal.

Am open to sugestions on which pickups sound best - I like the H2s but if anyone has a koa Cobra S and an opinion (which are never in short supply around here!), I'm all ears.

Scott

dkaplowitz
01-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Welcome to the forum, Scott!

I had a nice conversation with Roy at TAG about pickups yesterday. I found him very helpful and willing to expatiate at length about the merits of one sound over another....it was an enlightening conversation since he's been working with this stuff for well over 15 years (I had a similar conversation with him way back in 1990). Jack at Magdon music has been very helpful with some of my questions too...and I'm sure lots of ppl here will be more than willing to talk about what they like too.

Perhaps you could tell us some more about the kind of playing you do and what kinda' amps you use, etc. etc.

Cheers,

Dave

Suriel Zayas
01-27-2005, 08:16 PM
welcome aboard mate. great having you around here.

peace.

suriel

crash
01-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I've pretty much always gone for the Fender clean tone, the current amp being a 60W DeVille. It's too loud, but nice and clean and punchy. And then everything else is done with pedals (now) or rack gear (in the 80s/90s).

But, I really like the Rambler, and am a big fan of low-wattage Class A EL 84 amps as well (favorites being various Mark Sampson creations and the Bogner Metro).

As Darrell Mansfield once said, 'Blessed are the flexible, for they shall be used'. I end up playing a lot other people's stuff, so I try to be as versatile as possible (but I don't have a 5 figure gear budget). I've usually stuck with Strat (styles) with PAF-voiced humbuckers in the back to be able to cover a bit more ground. But a dual humbucker setup is next (whenever that is...)

I love the tone and short scale feel of the Cobras. Coveting the Koa is completely cosmetic; Tom evidently knows where to find gorgeous slabs of it. I don't really know how it affects the tone compared to a maple top.

So for pickups, I have heard the H0s and liked them - but also really liked how tight and more focused the H2s felt.

s

BoraBora
01-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the forum Crash.

But be warned, once you buy an Anderson you'll want more. :D

Stan Malinowski
01-28-2005, 07:55 AM
But be warned, once you buy an Anderson you'll want more.

BB is right, Anderson #10 for me just got delivered to Magdon's yesterday!

Welcome aboard Crash, hope we can be of help in answering any questions about Andersons you may have.

Guitarded
01-28-2005, 11:07 PM
hi crash... like you, I'm a newbie... just ordered my first anderson...
hollow cobra... H1- H2+... tried and true...
acoustic player for years, electric occassionally... but gotta make the leap...
welcome to the TAG circle

Dave M.
01-29-2005, 01:35 AM
Hey, all.

I just need to hear a koa Cobra S to seal the deal.

You and me both, brutha! You and me both! :D

(and at least one other guy that I know ;) )

Welcome to the forum! :)

getgo
01-29-2005, 11:02 AM
Welcome Crash!! 'Bout time we got more hoosiers on the board ( Elkhart here)
While I am not a (true) Anderson player (on my second crowdster now) I can really appreciate the quality and beauty of all Andersons and the fellas here on the board are among the best out there! :D

John Price
02-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I'm a fan of the H2+ in the bridge position.....
;)

scottiK
02-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Welcome Crash!! 'Bout time we got more hoosiers on the board ( Elkhart here)
While I am not a (true) Anderson player (on my second crowdster now) I can really appreciate the quality and beauty of all Andersons and the fellas here on the board are among the best out there! :D

There's more than corn in Indiana! I'm the guilty party in throwing TA's at crash. First it was my DT (which is now owned my chadmj...got him too) and lately my Cobra. Scott was lettin me borrow his barber tonepress and when he came to get it back I just had to let him here the Cobra through my burn unit and the tone press...ruined him completely :D

welcome Scott...I'm sure you'll be offical before too long.

BTW - what's behind the screen name?

scott

crash
02-05-2005, 07:25 PM
...welcome Scott...I'm sure you'll be offical before too long.
BTW - what's behind the screen name?

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks even more for the cool borrowed gear. Playing my stuff will never be the same. :-)

On the screen name, I use that moniker a lot, mostly in XBOX circles. Besides, I always wanted to be a verb, in the present tense, and 'Slash' and 'Sting' were already taken...

wodka
02-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Welcome. I've spent the last year in Indianapolis on a project for Eli Lilly. Nice city. Not too many guitar stores though. I've been to Guitar N More and Meridian Music.

crash
02-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks. Indy is a great city. Both ScottiK (another forum member who has ruined me for life by lending me his Cobra and DT) and I are up here in Fishers (about a block apart, actually).

He probably knows more cool guitar places (I've only been here a few years), but I guess there's a really cool shop in Broad Ripple that's worth checking out.

getgo
02-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Cool! My drummer buddy lives in Fishers not far from the Verizon Music Center. I get down to visit every now and then and run over to Casleton Square to Guitar Center and IRC and Sam Ash. I bought a set of JBL M-Pro 18" subs with 15" JBL upper cabs. They gave me a nice deal.