PDA

View Full Version : Which tuners are used at TAG for set-up work?

tfire
01-14-2005, 03:19 AM
The Tom Anderson web site gives advice on setting up a Feitenized guitar's intonation with a Boss TU-12 tuner. I have read that Korg DT-7 tuners are what gets used in the Tom Anderson workshop. But according to many posts on the web, neither of these tuners is accurate enough to set up a guitar with BFTS, since neither is accurate to within 2 cents, which is the maximum BFTS offset. So I was hoping that someone from TAG could say:

whether DT-7s are the only thing that gets used,if that's so, why more accurate tuners such as Peterson strobes aren't used.

tom
01-14-2005, 11:56 AM
we do use the dt7's. before that we used the mt1200. peterson real strobes have to have calibration marks put on them to be able to read the cents fine enough. bruce has one of those that buzz calibrated using his very cool yamaha tuner. we tested the dt7's next to the peterson, and got the same results without having to dial in every offset. same for the vs1. the strobostomp was not made until recently, so it was not in the running. bruce is buying 1 so we will check it out. i bought a vsam, but it was slower to respond than the dt7 and it would not hold all the offsets. anyone want to buy it?

tfire
01-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the reply, that clarifies things really well. It will be interesting to hear how the Strobostomp makes out.

Stan Malinowski
01-17-2005, 12:41 PM
It will be interesting to hear how the Strobostomp makes out.

I just received a Strobostomp for my birthday. Every bit as accurate as the VS-II I just sold. Found it had a nice "toggle" feature to alternate with one button press between setups for two temperments (in my case Normal and BFS). I checked the intonation of both an Anderson and a Suhr which had factory setups - both were dead on!

nickdahl
01-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Hey tfire, glad to see you here. You did a great job arguing the benefits of the StroboStomp over on HRI recently. I love the StroboStomp!

Nick

BoraBora
01-17-2005, 11:22 PM
I have to agree, I just got a Strobo Stomp a couple of weeks ago and that thing is very accurate.