PDA

View Full Version : More bottom?

mwoeppel
01-08-2005, 11:36 PM
hey guys - I have a recent hollow cobra with minis that I'm just not connecting with. My cobra special with the minis seems more like my taste. This one just seems a little too bright, with not enough mids and bottom. I favor a darker sound.

I was thinking - before I sell this one, maybe I should swap the pickups before I give it up.

What do you think? New pickups? If so, which ones? I really like the Bartolinis in my strat...

sylvanshine
01-09-2005, 01:13 AM
I had the same experience with my hollow Cobra. Tried different pickups and it just wasn't happening. I'm afraid you are about to learn what I learned, hollow ain't for me. :(

joe1962
01-09-2005, 04:06 AM
While I love the solid Cobras I've had a Hollow Cobra and a Hollow Drop Top T in Mahogany that just didn't do it for me tonally. Something was lacking in the lower mids compared to the solid guitars. Don't get me wrong, they didn't sound bad at all, just not the tone I like in a mohagany guitar. I DO like the hollow in alder though.

Roy (maybe)
01-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Mwoepel,

Yea, hollow has a gentler less aggressive approach to be sure with a bit wider frequency response. At this point I think it is important to note something I saw in Guitar of the Week this morning:

Where the remarkably potent bite of a Cobra leaves off…
the
Atom
explodes with unbelievable, full-bodied musical might…

Maybe this is what you need?

Yours truly,
Maybe

joe1962
01-09-2005, 05:01 PM
I just thought about something you could try before you give up on the guitar. I remember when I first got my Cobra S with Ms I thought it was a little too bright. I put in a 330K resistor between the left leg of the volume pot and ground, basically adding vintage voicing to the entire guitar. That warmed mine up to more of what I like. As far as I know (Roy could tell you for sure) Andderson doesn't wire the min hums for vintage voicing except for the switch position where the rear pickup is split.

Dave K
01-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Mwoepel,

Yea, hollow has a gentler less aggressive approach to be sure with a bit wider frequency response. At this point I think it is important to note something I saw in Guitar of the Week this morning:

Where the remarkably potent bite of a Cobra leaves off…
the
Atom
explodes with unbelievable, full-bodied musical might…

Maybe this is what you need?

Yours truly,
Maybe

Maybe he (we) would have an idea if the Atom suits him if you'd show the complete guitar and give some specs? :rolleyes:
I think whoever is responsible for this tease deserves a pie in the face. :D
I know some people that will be attending NAMM in a few weeks,so you guys might want to wear ponchos. ;)

http://shop.armynavystoreinc.com/store/media/ponchos.jpg

mwoeppel
01-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Joe,

Thanks for the insight. I hadn't considered vintage voicing, and that's a lot cheaper and less painful than selling my very first custom!

Roy (maybe),
I don't know if an Atom's in my future, hmm. I think Dave is right - maybe if I could see the whole guitar? When will my favorite dealer (BrianH) have one to play? Until then, I'll have to make do with what I have... sigh

;)

I thought you would tell me I need H2's or something.

Roy (maybe)
01-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Hey mister mwoeppl,

What pickups are in your Hollow Cobra now?

Mr. Maybe

P.S. What kind of name is mwoeppl anyway?

Roy (maybe)
01-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Hi Dave K,

I bet you were the kid who peeked at all your Christmas presents under the tree when your parents went out for the evening, didn’t you?

…and don’t say maybe to me. I’ll say it to you first,

Maybe

P.S. It just so happens that there is so much rain here that I am wearing a poncho—a Sheer Gold one—and I love Apple Pie—especially when it is raining. But don’t blame me entirely for the Atom fiasco; it was really Roy’s fault, not mine.

mwoeppel
01-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey Roy -

I've got M1, M1, M3 in there now... and mwoeppel is for mark woeppel. a nice German name! My Grandfather's Grandfather was one of the original sodbusters in Nebraska (where I was born); he was a homesteader - ok, probably too much info, but that's where the name comes from..

I was too lazy to think of anything clever for a forum handle. :rolleyes:

Dave K
01-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Hi Dave K,

I bet you were the kid who peeked at all your Christmas presents under the tree when your parents went out for the evening, didn’t you?

…and don’t say maybe to me. I’ll say it to you first,

Maybe

Let's just say that by the age of eight I had mastered the ability to remove Scotch tape and unwrap presents and then re-wrap them without leaving any evidence behind. ;)
I also put on a performance worthy of an Academy Award the next day when I unwrapped my presents for the second time. :D

P.S. It just so happens that there is so much rain here that I am wearing a poncho—a Sheer Gold one—and I love Apple Pie—especially when it is raining. But don’t blame me entirely for the Atom fiasco; it was really Roy’s fault, not mine.

If you had played nice I might have sent a gift box with some goodies,but now all you get is a box of socks and maybe some galoshes. (maybe) :eek:

Roy (maybe)
01-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Hi Mark,

Now that is very interesting. I love that kind of family history—such a rich heritage.

The Ms are suppose to offer that “Big Single Coil Sound.” Is that what you seek with this guitar? If not, what is the sound you want? There are a few options we can try.

Happy Playing,
Roy (maybe)

mwoeppel
01-10-2005, 08:52 AM
Oh yah. Love the big single coil sound on my -S. My Hollow Cobra isn't delivering the rich bottom end, that's all. Great instruments in all other respects.

:cool:

Roy (maybe)
01-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Hi Dave K,

I knew you had to be a peeker—and a master at that. I am impressed.

The wait won’t be too much longer now if we can get the guy who writes Guitar of the Week to get on it—plus we have to round up the photographer again. Has anyone seen him?

Happy Playing,
Roy (maybe)

Roy (maybe)
01-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Mr.Woepple,

Please give Roy a call at Anderson guitars. He would like to discuss your Ms with Hollow.

Happy Playing,
Roy (maybe)

mwoeppel
01-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Roy (maybe) is the king of sonic tweaking.

After a lengthy seminar on a rig he has never seen before, I was able to dial in just the tone I was looking for!

Nice, fat, blubbery bottom. woo hoo!

Thanks, bro.

Mark (almost certainly) :p

Roy (maybe)
01-15-2005, 01:58 AM
Hi Mark,

It was may pleasure—very fun speaking with you.

Happy Playing,
Roy (maybe)