PDA

View Full Version : Neck adjustment

morty
01-06-2005, 06:37 AM
I am working with my setup on my Drop Top. I have changed strings from 009-010 and tightened the tremolosprings. This resulted in high action and front bowed neck. I have also lowerd the saddels. I have also adjusted the trusrod 1/4 turn, but it seems still front bowed. Have I turned it the wrong way or can I turn it a bit more? I turned it against the clock direction.

When I compared to my Fender the Fender neck is straighter, and that`s ideal for my playingstyle.

It was my first rod adjustment in my life, a bit scary!, but thanks to this forum and the advices from the TA.hompage I dare doing it by myself!

Stan Malinowski
01-06-2005, 07:17 AM
Have I turned it the wrong way or can I turn it a bit more? I turned it against the clock direction.

If I am understanding you correctly, the string guage has been increased from a .009 set to a .010 set of strings. This increases the string tension which means the truss rod tension also need to be increased. To increase truss rod tension you need to turn the tr nut clockwise, not counter-clockswise (against the clock).

morty
01-06-2005, 09:34 AM
I think I have to get help from my guitarshop, because now I am comfused!

I tought when the tension increase you have to loosen the rod, to get the neck straight! now my neck is bending uppwards.

So if I understand you I must give more tension to the rod, when I get more string tension.

I think I let my guitartech adjust it, because I don`t want to ruin my neck!

Another problem is that the saddel for the high E is touching the screw on the tremoloplate. Maby when I reintonate,the saddel have to move further back against the bridge when I get my neck right and straight!? Have anyone else on this forum had this problem?

Stan Malinowski
01-06-2005, 09:57 AM
I tought when the tension increase you have to loosen the rod, to get the neck straight! now my neck is bending uppwards.

Morty,

Keep in mind we are talking about 2 types of tension:
1) String Tension - Heavier guage strings when tuned to pitch create more string tension. Increases in string tension will tend to increase relief and create a forward bow where the headstock will bow towards the front of the guitar.
2) Truss Rod Tension - Increasing the amount of tension on a truss rod will tend to reduce relief since the increased tension created by the truss rod compressing nut against the neck wood will create a force to counteract the tension created by the strings.

So, in conclusion, if you increase string tension by changing to heavier strings you typically need to increase the truss rod tension to compensate. As far as truss rod nut adjustment direction is concerned, the rule of thumb is:

"Righty - Tighty & Lefty - Loosen" which corresponds to clockwise (righty) turning of the tr nut to increase tr tension and counter-clockwise (lefty) turning of the tr nut to decrease tr tension.

Hope this helps....

morty
01-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Thank you, when I thinking after how the rod is working it`s logicaly to increase tr tension when I am increasing the string tension and thighten the tremolosprings. I guess it`s a bit harder to turn the nut clockwise!

will the saddel on my high E have to be placed further back, when I am reintonating again? what do you think about that problem? I guess I have to start realy close to the bridge when I am reintonating, and just see where I am ending up. I don`t think Iam the only one with an Anderson with tight tremolosprings!?

Roy (maybe)
01-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Morty,

You could always try to call the Anderson factory and speak with Roy. He can talk you through re-setting up your guitar. He has helped me many times.

Maybe

morty
01-07-2005, 03:40 AM
Hello! now I have tightened my tr. instead of loosen it, so now my neck is straight!

Roy (maybe)
01-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Morty,

Great, congratulations.

Happy Weekend Playing,
Maybe