PDA

View Full Version : Small Fret Option?

MDWood
01-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Has anyone ever tried the small frets on a TA guitar? I have an TA HDT with medium frets that work rather well. I occasionally attempt to incorporate slides when playing and fret height can sometimes be an issue. Obviously, more practice and a lighter touch would go a long way to improve technique and those occasional heavy-handed intonation moments; nonetheless, I wondered how the smaller fret option would impact overall playability/versatility?

Thanks in advance!
Mark

BFC
01-01-2005, 06:58 PM
I took a chance with them earlier this year after thinking that sometimes mediums or heavies felt too tall/big. The guitar went back shortly after I got it for a refret with mediums. They were just too low for comfort. Bends were a major pain and the friction from feeling the fretboard wood was just too much. I gave it a couple of weeks but just couldn't live with the smalls.

Roy (maybe)
01-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi Mark,

I spoke with Roy at Anderson for you concerning this matter and he said, “The reality with the fret size and slide relationship is that it is distance from string to fret (action height) and not fret size that determines slide playing comfort. Since you do not push down when playing slide, like you do went playing with fingers, if action height is low you can unexpectedly bang into the frets while sliding.”

“Jesse, who runs the woodshop at Anderson Guitarworks, is an amazing slide player (and a phenomenal human being too) and he says that as he gained more experience playing slide, his touch improved. This enabled him to naturally move his action-height back down to standard Anderson action without consequence. With the action lower it allows him to chord behind the slide for more variety with slide playing.”

Mr. Maybe

MDWood
01-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks Roy (maybe), BFC, and Jesse,

Based on your feedback, I believe I will stick with medium frets on my TA HDT and on the TA Classic I am ordering--as well as work more on my slide technique. It would be great to hear and see Jesse play sometime--I could use some help. Any recommended instructional materials?

Thanks again,
Mark

tom
01-02-2005, 07:14 PM
jesse loves sony landreth, and i believe he said his instructional stuff is great.

MDWood
01-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks Tom.

Mark

Roy (maybe)
01-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi Mark,

If you are going to use this new guitar exclusively for slide playing, we (Anderson I mean) could initially set up the guitar with higher than standard Anderson-action and it could be lowered later as technique and playing style dictates.

Mr. Maybe