PDA

View Full Version : carvin legacy

DropTop7
12-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Hello All:

anyone own a carvin legacy ? ;) I'v been thinking about getting one just mess with ..

pluto
12-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Hello All:

anyone own a carvin legacy ? ;) I'v been thinking about getting one just mess with ..

Mike Omiya has played one-hopefully, he'll see this thread. I don't remember what he said except it was a good amp for the price and that it farted out at high volumes.

DropTop7
12-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks - farted out at high volumes hmhm interesting - yea they are cheap enough that for sure -- merry christmass

ShaunzNoiz
01-05-2005, 07:58 PM
I owned one with the Greenbacks in it. It farted out at high volumes. But, then again, I had a combo. I complained to Carvin and they mailed me some vintage 30s for free. The amp then sounded harsh, so I sent them back. I kept the amp for about a year and got rid of it. Good amp for the price. Clean channel broke up too much for my taste. Very thick and mid heavy overdrive. Hope this helps!

Shaun

michaelomiya
01-05-2005, 11:17 PM
Mike Omiya has played one-hopefully, he'll see this thread. I don't remember what he said except it was a good amp for the price and that it farted out at high volumes.

ditto that! Seriously, for the $$, as long as you play this thing at a reasonable volume, there's a singing lead, a nice crunchy rhythm, and "bloomy" clean tone. It's when you REALLY push the tubes, that the amp starts to fart. I think the tranny's are cheap. Just my $1-0.98.

DropTop7
01-06-2005, 01:49 PM
what do you recamend for a high gain amp ? Mesa- there pretty reasonable

pluto
01-06-2005, 02:01 PM
It farted out at high volumes. But, then again, I had a combo. Good amp for the price. Clean channel broke up too much for my taste. Very thick and mid heavy overdrive. Hope this helps!

Shaun

Damn, you confirmed Mike Omiya's opinion. He was right-I guess he doesn't have tin ears after all. :D :p

pluto
01-06-2005, 02:03 PM
ditto that! Seriously, for the $$, as long as you play this thing at a reasonable volume, there's a singing lead, a nice crunchy rhythm, and "bloomy" clean tone. It's when you REALLY push the tubes, that the amp starts to fart. I think the tranny's are cheap. Just my $1-0.98.

Ah, you've come out of hiding, or should I say, a drunken stupor after the Orange Bowl.

pluto
01-06-2005, 02:08 PM

Man, there are so many out there. Depends on how much you want to spend, and what kind of tone you're looking for. After a couple of years of trying to be boutique cool and dropping $ on that, I wised up and realized the tone I listened to and heard from the days of my youth were Marshalls, so I dumped the Bogners, Engls, etc. and have been spending money only on Marshalls.

michaelomiya
01-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Ah, you've come out of hiding, or should I say, a drunken stupor after the Orange Bowl.

AHHH yes! You mean coming back from Florida!! There wasn't a single alum (that I was with) who wasn't seriously liquored. After the game almost the entire SC base migrated back to the Diplomat Hotel (w/ the team bus) to celebrate. Very memorable, from what I do recall!! :p

michaelomiya
01-06-2005, 04:15 PM
After a couple of years of trying to be boutique cool and dropping $ on that, I wised up .....and have been spending money only on Marshalls.

THAT is the understatement of the last year!! :D

michaelomiya
01-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Damn, you confirmed Mike Omiya's opinion. He was right-I guess he doesn't have tin ears after all. :D :p

I told you not to trust MY hearing! As you know, listening skills rank right up there w/ "keeping one's opinion to one's self".

michaelomiya
01-06-2005, 04:25 PM

Depends on your playing application (band, jamming, practice) and venue (church, club, garage, bedroom, Staples Center, etc.). For reasonable priced massive modern gain, I'd get a preamp (Marshall JMP1 or Rocktron Piranha). Of course, this assumes that you're not concerned w/ issues like sag or latency. Preamp/Poweramp's have this compression that I can't seen to overcome IMHO. YMMV. But very versatile, very reasonable, and very useful at lower volumes.

Personally? I'd take a non-MV Marshall, stick a Keeley pedal in front, and go. Add time-based effects as needed. Want clean? Turn off the OD pedal. Done. Headroom for days. Sure, it's not BF Fender bloom, but it's clean without the sterility of SS. And you get the headroom and the balls of 100Ws. NOTHING comes close. Small wattage, small sound. And, of course, the converse is true as well.

pluto
01-06-2005, 05:52 PM
AHHH yes! You mean coming back from Florida!! There wasn't a single alum (that I was with) who wasn't seriously liquored. After the game almost the entire SC base migrated back to the Diplomat Hotel (w/ the team bus) to celebrate. Very memorable, from what I do recall!! :p

Sounds like you had a great time. Hope you guys got all that celebrating out of your system though because: 1) Pete Carroll is rumoured to be going to the 49'ers (although I doubt he'll go) and 2) UH is going to beat them this fall. BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!! :D Just joking man-I just hope USC doesn't run up the score to 100 or the WAC refs will cheat just like the UH-Michigan State and UH-Northwestern games so that the score won't be a complete disgrace. It's gonna be ugly.

michaelomiya
01-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Sounds like you had a great time. Hope you guys got all that celebrating out of your system though because: 1) Pete Carroll is rumoured to be going to the 49'ers (although I doubt he'll go) and 2) UH is going to beat them this fall. BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!! :D Just joking man-I just hope USC doesn't run up the score to 100 or the WAC refs will cheat just like the UH-Michigan State and UH-Northwestern games so that the score won't be a complete disgrace. It's gonna be ugly.

1. Pete Carroll's contract was just extended, and at well over $1MM/yr + performance bonuses.
2. SF 49'ers and DeBartolo can pound sand - NO way will USC let PC go - I'd be surprised IF the SF49'er organization has more $$$ than USC - remember this is the INSTITUTION that received the MOST endowment donations last year ($600MM+), out stripping Harvard by well over $150MM. (this also assumes that the DeBartolo REIT and the 49'er funds are not being comingled :D )
3. USC's trip over to Aloha Stadium in August will be considered a practice scrimmage.

BTW, how's the 1970 Super Lead?

DropTop7
01-06-2005, 09:03 PM
what ever it costs- I don't like to buy stuff that's hard to resell or take a big hit on- I'm into vintage and new HW Vox's so High Gains are a new bread to me... i was thinking about a Bogner but may a TSL would be a good amp to play around with and they seem to be abundant on e-bay

Dave M.
01-06-2005, 11:29 PM
what ever it costs- I don't like to buy stuff that's hard to resell or take a big hit on- I'm into vintage and new HW Vox's so High Gains are a new bread to me... i was thinking about a Bogner but may a TSL would be a good amp to play around with and they seem to be abundant on e-bay

DT7, (do you have a DT7? :cool: )
Don't waste your time or money on a TSL, especially if a Bogner is financially within your reach. It's like night and day between those two.

p.s. Mike and pluto. Don't worry about PC going to SF. The closest thing to a DeBartolo that's within the franchise is Eddie D's sister. Her husband has been the figurehead for a few years now and a key reason for their personnel "changes". As much as I despise the 49ers, it's a damn shame the Yorks have run that franchise into the ground.

p.p.s. pluto, didn't hear back from you after my last response via e-mail. But, my service has been dodgy lately, too. :(

J.B.
01-07-2005, 12:45 AM
what ever it costs- I don't like to buy stuff that's hard to resell or take a big hit on- I'm into vintage and new HW Vox's so High Gains are a new bread to me... i was thinking about a Bogner but may a TSL would be a good amp to play around with and they seem to be abundant on e-bayI'd seriously look into the VHT stuff. The Ultra Lead and CLX are top notch, 3 channel amps. The CL series is another one too (100 or 50 CL). You can usually find a used CL between 1,000 and 1,200 and you'll have no problem selling it down the road if you need to. The CL's have no clean channel though, but have two differently voiced gain channels that clean up really well if need be. If you have any questions about the VHT stuff, feel free to ask. :cool:

Casper
01-07-2005, 11:21 AM
I had to chime in here. I am seriously looking into getting a Marshall (probably an AVT30 or so). I had a Valvestate 50 years ago and it was a great amp. I can almost afford a Boogie F-30 for what I will pay for the Marshall. Any opinions? I've had my Peavey Classic 30 on the road for 10 years or more and am ready for a new amp, I've hot-rodded it all I can...
Shaun

DropTop7
01-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Yes, I do :) I beleave it's number 12 out of 14 made - it's bora bora blue hollow drop top with a vintage style trem and switcharo setup..
it was on AnderAlley but, I don't see it now?- I can send you some pic's if you like. It's a very cool guitar I wish I could play it better ;)

On the Bogner I'v only played the Extasy I'l have to try the uberschall too that might be a better match - too many cool things out there

michaelomiya
01-07-2005, 12:40 PM
I had to chime in here. I am seriously looking into getting a Marshall (probably an AVT30 or so). I had a Valvestate 50 years ago and it was a great amp. I can almost afford a Boogie F-30 for what I will pay for the Marshall. Any opinions? I've had my Peavey Classic 30 on the road for 10 years or more and am ready for a new amp, I've hot-rodded it all I can...
Shaun

Casper, didn't know Marshall was around 50 years ago! ;)
Seriously, if you're interested in picking up a decent Marshall at reasonable cost, check out the DSL100. Yes, I said it. A DSL100. Caveat: It farts out at high volume. The OT is g*d awful, and the amp doesn't weigh as much as older JCM800's due to the smaller trannies.

That said, I know of several folks around LA and OC (cover bands, 3-4X/wk), who are using the DSL100's. Why? You CANNOT play at high volume in any of the clubs anymore. (at least not at the volume required to enable the older Marshalls to really "sing").

Does the DSL in all of it's PCB, IC chip glory "sound" like a Marshall? Absolutely. Does it do VH and hair farmer 80's? Absolutely. Does it have a decent clean tone? Yup. Take pedals? Sure.

BUT, can it cop a "modern" gain tone ala Ubershall, Powerball, VH-4? Nope. It's a Marshall. If you want all that distortion, I'd argue whether you need an Anderson :p Again, YMMV.

How do I know all this? I owned one, and sold it to buy another Anderson!

pluto
01-07-2005, 01:23 PM
DT7, (do you have a DT7? :cool: )

p.p.s. pluto, didn't hear back from you after my last response via e-mail. But, my service has been dodgy lately, too. :(

Dave, the last email I got from you was probably around a week and a half ago (?). I sent a reply to that email but haven't gotten one from you since. Try emailing me again because I think we're getting email problems. Thanks, Mark

pluto
01-07-2005, 01:25 PM
BUT, can it cop a "modern" gain tone ala Ubershall, Powerball, VH-4? Nope. It's a Marshall. If you want all that distortion, I'd argue whether you need an Anderson :p Again, YMMV.

I take offense to that comment. Ha! :D

pluto
01-07-2005, 01:30 PM

I know it's a cliche, but the only way to find out is to take your guitar to the store, and play as many high gain heads as you can. These days, there are so many great high gain amps to choose from and each have their own little voicings that you may or may not like.

pluto
01-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Shaun

I guess it would depend on the kind of music you play. I've avoided the new Marshalls though (except the reissues) because of reliability concerns. Confuscious says: "One who uses simple circuit amp shall be rewarded with less problems-Also easy to fix!"

J.B.
01-07-2005, 04:47 PM
DropTop7, what kind of tone are you looking for exactly? Do you need a clean channel on it? Do you like a real tight, articulate amp? Or would you like more sag in the response? More emphisis on higher or lower mids? Any particular high gain sound you're looking to achieve?

DropTop7
01-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I don't need a clean channel I usaly run two amp and I have the Vox's for the clean..
Yes I like a tight amp not much on mush -- as far as what kind of sound I guess something along the lines of STP, Metalica, VR. Vai altho he plays a tone of effects....
I seem to remember Mat playing Mesa's im not sure about the others thoe

J.B.
01-07-2005, 07:07 PM
I don't need a clean channel I usaly run two amp and I have the Vox's for the clean..
Yes I like a tight amp not much on mush -- as far as what kind of sound I guess something along the lines of STP, Metalica, VR. Vai altho he plays a tone of effects....
I seem to remember Mat playing Mesa's im not sure about the others thoeI would, like I said in an above post, check out some VHT stuff. the 100 or 50CL would be perfect for you. It has no clean but 2 gain channels that sound fantastic. No flub at all, and with the graphic EQ option, you can really tweak your sound. It also has a solo boost and loop on/off that are footswitchable, and the loops are some of the best in the buisness (series or parallel). The EQ is also footswitchable, so you sort of have a 3 channel amp with a boost. On the used market they usually run around $1000 to $1,200, but I would only go with one with the EQ option.

A Splawn would be another good choice. They get an excellent STP to all out Slayer type of tone. He also modifies Marshalls.

Hope this helped.

DropTop7
01-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks I'll check them out :D

Turrican
01-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Since the Bogners are within your price tag, you should check out the Soldano SLO, it's got 2 channels, clean and OD, and with the right tweaking can do modern high gain stuff as well as marshall tones really sweet. Kind of has it's own character, probably will not be as impressive as the XTC side to side, but in a band situation cuts through the mix much better, IMO.
can't go wrong with that machine for any high gain situation.

Jon Henrik
02-01-2005, 01:22 PM
If you want tone at a resonable price, the Carvin Leagcy is definately worth to check out. I have just recently sold my own, but It wasa great amp.

However, it's not really "high-gain amp" by modern standard. Vai uses the Legacy live with the Keeley DS-1 SEM pedal as boost on leads.

If you want a more high-gain amp, Mesa is a good option. I actually replaced my Legacy with a M/B Sgl. Rectifier Rect-o-verb. It's really good, and plays nice even at pretty low volume. You also have the Nomad series, which is a tad more versatile, and have been getting good user-reviews.

I don't really care for Marshall's personally, but hey, it's your choice ;)